NYC Trip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per Se puts a dent in your wallet for sure, but EMP lunch is something that shouldn't be missed :D

I will have to stop by Peacock Alley, i have been to The Bull and Bear in The Waldorf a few times, they have killer french onion soup that i cant pass up on.

Matt is saying that because he's a chef there, yeah, I havent heard anything bad about any of chang's places.

Per Se puts a dent in your wallet for sure, but EMP lunch is something that shouldn't be missed :D

I'm going to have to check this out, especially since I just found out an old friend of mine left Corton to work lunch service there...

Per Se's tasting menu puts a hefty dent in the wallet for sure. But while it's no bargain like JG's lunch menu*, the a la carte salon menu with most dishes around $30-40 isn't too bad, especially considering service (which is exceptional) is included and you still get amuses and mignardises even if you just order a couple of courses.

For my money (hah), the kitchen at Per Se is the best in the city -- a class above JG, EMP, Le Bernadin, and Daniel.

* Speaking of bargains, you might want to check out Del Posto's excellent prix-fixe lunch. The room's a bit stuffy and the service isn't that warm, but for three courses at $29, it's the best high-end dining deal in the city. The desserts there are terrific.

That's pretty stiff. $40 will still get you a 10 oz fillet, strip or Delmonico with either a salad or onion soup and a side dish at Bern's Steak House in Tampa.
Per Se's tasting menu puts a hefty dent in the wallet for sure. But while it's no bargain like JG's lunch menu*, the a la carte salon menu with most dishes around $30-40 isn't too bad, especially considering service (which is exceptional) is included and you still get amuses and mignardises even if you just order a couple of courses.

For my money (hah), the kitchen at Per Se is the best in the city -- a class above JG, EMP, Le Bernadin, and Daniel.

* Speaking of bargains, you might want to check out Del Posto's excellent prix-fixe lunch. The room's a bit stuffy and the service isn't that warm, but for three courses at $29, it's the best high-end dining deal in the city. The desserts there are terrific.

I don't know about you but I was pretty surprised when Sifton gave Del Posto such a great review. Obviously restaurants are entirely based on personal preference, but I haven't met anyone who thought Per Se was the best out of the five you mentioned.

I don't know about you but I was pretty surprised when Sifton gave Del Posto such a great review. Obviously restaurants are entirely based on personal preference, but I haven't met anyone who thought Per Se was the best out of the five you mentioned.

Even though Del Posto isn't even my favorite Batali/Bastianich restaurant, much less one of my favorites in the city, Ladner is unquestionably one of the city's great chefs and I think the lunch prix-fixe is a pittance to pay to eat his food.

Funny you should say that about PS because I haven't heard anyone say anything to the contrary before. :) What would your pick be for a NY restaurant in its class?

I think EMP is the best in New York right now, I also think both Daniel and Le Bernardin are better than Per Se. The most interesting food is probably at wd-50.

Last time I planned to go to NYC was to watch the Yankees play their last season in the old stadium - never got there :sad0:
Now this thread has me wanting to go there for food :cool2:

I think EMP is the best in New York right now, I also think both Daniel and Le Bernardin are better than Per Se. The most interesting food is probably at wd-50.

Many people adore EMP and I have a lot of goodwill towards the place, but the last time I ate there, I was disappointed by how safe (even slightly boring) the food was. I was excited by the new (well, not so new anymore) menu system, thinking it would really give the kitchen a chance to show off what it could do, but even though I specifically gave them free reign and said that I liked adventurous flavor pairings, I ended up with dishes like a plate of tagliatelle with crab and meyer lemon. Le Bernardin is good (though on the evidence of my last meal there, only their pastry chef seems to be really pushing himself). I find Daniel to be appallingly mediocre in both the conception and execution of their dishes. And while I very much enjoy modernist cooking at its best (and think Alinea is the best restaurant in the country), I've never had a great meal at wd-50.

When it comes down to it, I guess it can be very difficult to compare opinions about high-end restaurants. Only very few people make the rounds frequently enough to gauge an accurate average of good/bad nights and good/bad dishes. Even somewhere like JG where so many dishes never change, the same dish has totally wowed me one time, but the next time has been slightly less amazing enough that I wouldn't have ordered it again had I not had the other experience.

What shouldn't change at all, though, is the service, and PS is the only restaurant in the city where every single time I've been there, it's felt like a special experience because the service was so impeccably and telepathically excellent.

Besides the big guys here in the city, I went here not to long ago. http://hechoendumbo.com/index.html solid meal and was a lot of fun sitting in the back at the Chefs table.

I really like Hecho en Dumbo too. Their "comida corrida" is great (though it was better when it was $10).

I ate at a place in Chelsea called Nuela. It was recommended by a friend of mine and i was blown away. We tried quite a few different dishes and all of them were fantastic.

Mike

Back