Oh no! My workhorse Le Crueset pot failed.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I read that. Exactly what I need. $99 is just excellent for that.

We are going to see what shakes out after the holidays. Staub is getting the nod for now.

IIRC, Cooks Illustrated rated the Staub the best as their lids were dimpled and helped the liquid drip evenly/in the middle basting the meat vs the smooth lids which return it to the sides. I remember that being the only real difference between the enameled brands.

Discount stores like Homegoods, TJ Maxx and Marshalls alwaya have Le Creusette and Cuisinart brand enameld pots as well as a few off brand models. Prices seem to be around $50-$125 depending on the size/style as long as you dont care about specific colors.

I believe the translation is to casserole and I always thought they were shorter vs the Dutch or more accurately French oven. That's just what I thought, I'd also like to know the difference according to Staub:)

I think that they're the same (cocotte vs Dutch oven vs French oven) and the semantics of Dutch vs French comes into whether it is seasoned or enamelled… apparently LC started using French oven with their enamelled CI but Lodge for example calls them Dutch oven.

Check out the latter definition for cocotte lol:
co·cotte
/kôˈkôt,kəˈkät/
noun
noun: cocotte; plural noun: cocottes; noun: en cocotte; plural noun: en cocottes
a covered, heatproof dish or casserole in which food can be both cooked and served; a Dutch oven.
dated
a fashionable prostitute.

Cocotte vs Dutch oven? What’s the diff

Both are heavy, lidded, low&wide cooking vessels designed for heat retention and even dispersion. Typically used for unattended, low&slow, one pot meals like braises and casseroles.

The original 'dutch' oven was plain cast iron, designed to be suspended over a fire or nestled into a bed of coals so it had a hoop handle and short legs. The lids were tight fitting with flanges so they they didn't slip off and had flat tops so that hot coals could be piled on. 'Dutch' probably references the Pennsylvania dutch who used them for campfire cooking during the western US expansion of the 1800s.

Le Creuset introduced enameled cast iron pots in the 1920s. They had small side handles and no legs, designed for use on cooktops or in wood-fired ovens. The enamel provided rust proofing, non-reactivity and eliminated the need for seasoning. These were marketed as cocottes and were called 'french' ovens in the US to distinguish them from 'dutch' ovens.

'Cocotte' is from the old french word for chicken, it is the feminine diminutive declension so literally means 'little hen' or colloquially 'a young girl.' A french girl's traditional wedding dowry might include cookware to indicate she had kitchen training. There's a bit of a hidden pun too; 'cocotte' is slang for a promiscuous girl, as in 'a hot chick' or 'a cooker.'

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/staub/pig-knob-p134640

9242.jpg

a fashionable prostitute.

Not necessarily a working girl (i.e., paid) just one with loose morals :O

"(The French have) more words for "working girl" than any other language I know....There's cocotte, horizontale, grisette, demi-mondaine, courtisaine, demi-castor, dégraffée, irregulière, femme galante...At some stage, disconcertingly, the definitions blur, and common prostitutes at the bottom of the ladder become revered courtisans at the top."
--from True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris

Both are heavy, lidded, low&wide cooking vessels designed for heat retention and even dispersion. Typically used for unattended, low&slow, one pot meals like braises and casseroles.

The original 'dutch' oven was plain cast iron, designed to be suspended over a fire or nestled into a bed of coals so it had a hoop handle and short legs. The lids were tight fitting with flanges so they they didn't slip off and had flat tops so that hot coals could be piled on. 'Dutch' probably references the Pennsylvania dutch who used them for campfire cooking during the western US expansion of the 1800s.

Le Creuset introduced enameled cast iron pots in the 1920s. They had small side handles and no legs, designed for use on cooktops or in wood-fired ovens. The enamel provided rust proofing, non-reactivity and eliminated the need for seasoning. These were marketed as cocottes and were called 'french' ovens in the US to distinguish them from 'dutch' ovens.

'Cocotte' is from the old french word for chicken, it is the feminine diminutive declension so literally means 'little hen' or colloquially 'a young girl.' A french girl's traditional wedding dowry might include cookware to indicate she had kitchen training. There's a bit of a hidden pun too; 'cocotte' is slang for a promiscuous girl, as in 'a hot chick' or 'a cooker.'
Wow, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Wow, interesting. Thanks for the info.

+ 1. It always amazes me how, no matter how obscure the topic, someone out there will have a detailed and expert knowledge of the subject. Well done 9mmbhp, I won't ask how you acquired your knowledge of round heeled French women😉

so a Staub 5.5 qt Cocotte is exactly the same thing as a Staub 5.5 qt round dutch oven?

maybe i'll go to a store and lay them out side by side.

thanks for the definition and history of the term tho..maybe i can impress the salesperson :D

I've collected many Staub pieces over the years and done a lot of reading about the brand and enameled cast iron along the way.

There are long CI/ECI threads on ChowHound, eGullet and ChefTalk with a lot of info.

Staub was acquired by Henckels/Zwilling in 2008 and Amazon had great deals on Staub around this time. I never understood why the prices were so low since they weren't sold as closeouts or seconds and had full warrantees. I checked my Amazon order history and see that an 8qt round was $135 shipped and a 2qt round was $39.

The Zwilling website's seconds and clearance deals can be very good too.

so a Staub 5.5 qt Cocotte is exactly the same thing as a Staub 5.5 qt round dutch oven?

As far as I know, yes.

More confusing terminology trivia: Staub's lid design is known as a 'doufeu' so the pots are also often referred to by that term or as LC calls them 'La Cocotte doufeu.' A doufeu lid has a concave depression intended to hold chunks of ice promoting internal condensation. The LC doufeu is actually concave and has side handles while Staub lids have a lip and a centered knob handle.

The enameled lodges are pretty cheap, but don't go any bigger than 10.5 qt if I remember correctly.

If it’s not chipping anymore then it just has a “partial” cast iron bottom and I would think that you could just continue using it.

For once it pays to be Canadian. Hudsons Bay has one day sales every December and if you pay attention there are some deals to be had.
Case in point, last Sunday LC 4.1 litre Oval was on for $179 Canadian ($140 US) with free shipping. Ordered mine at 12:01am in Oyster. Made Coq au Vin in it on Tuesday.

For once it pays to be Canadian. Hudsons Bay has one day sales every December and if you pay attention there are some deals to be had.
Case in point, last Sunday LC 4.1 litre Oval was on for $179 Canadian ($140 US) with free shipping. Ordered mine at 12:01am in Oyster. Made Coq au Vin in it on Tuesday.

awesome deal!! doesnt make up for releasing Justin Beiber on the world. :) happyholidays!

I'm assuming you could get a replacement through Le Creuset's limited lifetime warrantee?

Is there no love for the lodge enameled DO? I have been told they are easier to get warranty replacement with lodge.

Is there no love for the lodge enameled DO? I have been told they are easier to get warranty replacement with lodge.

The bowl shape is better than most imo. I don't think the enamel holds as well as Staub or LC.

I got a Staub coming in the mail. Black on black! Hehe. Opted for the coc au vin oblong shape.

Back