One Recipe. Only one. And you vouch for it.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saba is sweet; the balsamic adds the sour. There's no specific recipe on line or on the video, so I just eyeball everything and adjust it along the way. Sometimes I find myself adding more saba and balsamic along the way.

Grape juice will probably do fine, probably even if you add sugar. IIRC, saba is grape must barrel aged for years on end. It's a thick syrup. Mosto cotto or vin cotto are other names for it, or something that is a close cousin.

Real saba is complex, fruity and it really does add to the flavor of the sauce.

This is a robust sauce so there's room to play with flavors, but use saba if you can.

Well, I made Jim's sausage and jalapeño armadillo eggs for my daughter's birthday celebration this last Sunday. I wanted something with spice for the adults, and it had the perfect heat to keep the kids' hands off of them. Sorry no pics as I was running behind all day with food prep.

I did mine on the grill and they came out amazing. All were consumed within 15 minutes. There is something about sausage and some heat that is really pleasing. With that said, about half of mine split, so they were not as pretty as Jim's. He cooked them low and slow in a smoker, and my grill was too hot in spots for the amount I made. Oh well, the flavors were still there. The only thing I changed up was I used half Jimmy Dean sausage and half bulk Italian sausage. I also forgot to add the onion to the filling.

Good call for a party.

k.

Well, I made Jim's sausage and jalapeño armadillo eggs for my daughter's birthday celebration this last Sunday. I wanted something with spice for the adults, and it had the perfect heat to keep the kids' hands off of them. Sorry no pics as I was running behind all day with food prep.

I did mine on the grill and they came out amazing. All were consumed within 15 minutes. There is something about sausage and some heat that is really pleasing. With that said, about half of mine split, so they were not as pretty as Jim's. He cooked them low and slow in a smoker, and my grill was too hot in spots for the amount I made. Oh well, the flavors were still there. The only thing I changed up was I used half Jimmy Dean sausage and half bulk Italian sausage. I also forgot to add the onion to the filling.

Good call for a party.

k.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.:hungry:

I've been doing variations on this Beef Burgundy recipe for years, and it always impresses.

Sausage and bacon wrapped pork tenderloin.

Alternate pieces of bacon in a row between plastic wrap. Roll with a pin so they smush together. Remove top layer of wrap and smush some sausage to cover. Lay a tenderloin in the middle and tightly roll. Twist the ends of the plastic to really seal the bacon and sausage well. Remove plastic and bake at 350 for about a half hour'ish.....delish!!

Herbs, marinades and stuffing may be added as well.

and yes, smush is a very technical culinary term....

Back