One upping each other

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Danny

Sorry about that pineapple pizza thing
Reaction score
So… I’ve been thinking, and it’s just random thoughts running through my head, as I’m bend over the stones working with the blades. So be warned, I’m not sure what I’m about write makes any sense.

It randomly gets to me. Do I chase the results I want because of my own standards or am I subconsciously being driven by all the fine results that one sees here and on social media’s?

In a world where we chase perfection, maybe this should be the space, where we allow lessor beautiful work to come to its right and encourage people to push in the right direction if they want to. But non the less, give those who try a big pad on the back, even though it’s not picture perfect. It raises self esteem and maybe encourages others to start on this journey.
It probably took newcomers a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money to get there.

I already think we are doing it to some extent and this site really carries a lot of wisdom and kind people - so I’m not pointing any fingers. Just letting my stone head thoughts out.

Anyway… hope it makes sense 😅

I’m mostly envious of everyone that has the time to work on a really good polish (plus their skills… and their stones… and knives).

Considering my open disdain for reactive cladding, dislike of tall knives, preference for lighter lasers, high appreciation for ho wood handles and outright procrastinating approach to sharpening I think I'm pretty immune to all this peer pressure.
I guess that's one of the perks of being a stubborn prick.

Considering my open disdain for reactive cladding, dislike of tall knives, preference for lighter lasers, high appreciation for ho wood handles and outright procrastinating approach to sharpening I think I'm pretty immune to all this peer pressure.
What's wrong with you? - Side-Eyes Chloe Meme Generator

reactive cladding, dislike of tall knives, preference for lighter lasers, high appreciation for ho wood handles
3 hits, ouch.
To the topic, I'm satisfied with the finish on most knives I bought OOTB. But when I get the itch to polish, the works from here and ins are what I'll look up to.

I've gotten to a place in my knife polishing that I'm more interested in showing the process rather than the end result. It's not all perfect all the time. I'd love more people to show the ugly on the way to beautiful. Most are nice and encouraging and happy to help. Not too much judging going on, at least in the polishing space.

Specifically on the topic of polishing, I pretty much lost almost all my interest in that subject after I found out that polishing one of my knives to pretty much a mirror polish only made it worse in food release. Still gotta figure out the sweetspot finish there, but that's about all I really can be bothered with. I'm a utilitarian with a limited energy budget.

Whatcha do between 10pm and 3am? Those are the peak polishing hours IME

Actually, I personally support and have experienced this

But to answer the question, I just care about geometry mainly in thinning enough to usability, and nice enough to sell when I need to. My actually user knives are scratched up and stuff. Very pretty polishing ... Well are a separate thing from great geometry. There should be a thinning and geometry work thread, lol, that's the more important task

"What do you do for fun?"

"I like to spend hours an hours polishing expensive kitchen knives on expensive rocks"

"Um...ok"
Better yet that last time I had a friend over for cocktails and after too many let slip how much some of them cost…

Somehow he can rationalize his new Audemars Piguet but my $3k suita was “a joke, right?”

Last edited:
Specifically on the topic of polishing, I pretty much lost almost all my interest in that subject after I found out that polishing one of my knives to pretty much a mirror polish only made it worse in food release. Still gotta figure out the sweetspot finish there, but that's about all I really can be bothered with. I'm a utilitarian with a limited energy budget.

Fairly early in my knife sharpening walk when I discovered that polished does not equal sharp, I gradually gravitated to embrace the scratched up look. For me, utility is paramount, and that means sharp, and that normally requires thinning and geometry work, and that means very coarse stones. For me, there is no utility in progressing through small steps in stones to erase scratches. The scratches tell me the story of what work has been done and I like to see these stories. So I’m kind of a weirdo, preferring a scratched up knife over a pristine one.

Better yet that last time I had a friend over for cocktails and after too many let slip how much some of them cost…

Somehow he can rationalize his new AP but my $3k suita was “a joke, right?”

That is, “a joke”, right? Okudo? Does a $3K stone have some magic that makes it worth it?

That is, “a joke”, right? Okudo? Does a $3K stone have some magic that makes it worth it?
No, not really. I've definitely had some $3k stones pass through my hands. They're not really in budget for me to keep, but I've been lucky enough to handle a few. In that range rarity definitely plays a role in the price. But usually they're also big, clean quality rocks. The kinda thing a professional could use for a lifetime happily without ever worrying about a toxic line, su, matching the blade to the stone, etc.

As a dad of two kids under two years….amen
Sometimes my cat feels a bit needy and I need some space… 😬

For me, utility is paramount, and that means sharp, and that normally requires thinning and geometry work, and that means very coarse stones. For me, there is no utility in progressing through small steps in stones to erase scratches.
I’ve seen @ethompson and others post tons of examples here where they have refined stock grinds and geometry to improve performance as part of the initial steps prior to a full polish - you can definitely have both.

No, not really. I've definitely had some $3k stones pass through my hands. They're not really in budget for me to keep, but I've been lucky enough to handle a few. In that range rarity definitely plays a role in the price. But usually they're also big, clean quality rocks. The kinda thing a professional could use for a lifetime happily.

I should have clarified, (“please say, no”). The last thing I need is to be fiending for more stones.

And on second thought….. it’s still pretty early here, I can absolutely see a professional wanting a $3K stone as a tool to make his income. And above that, I’ve seen stones priced up to ¥1,000,000 so there has to be a market for them. I just don’t rub elbows with those folks.

Back