Opinion on Bidinger gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
So I decided to do a head to head comparison with the Bidinger to my best cutters (Kip..Halcyon..Lasuer..Catchside..Ingoglia) I used potato,carrots and apples for the test...I will keep this simple...The Bidinger beat every knife in ease of cutting...I honestly wasn't expecting it to best my crazy thin Kip but it did by a very slight margin...But the silence that was heard when going through food is the tell tail of perfection!!!The knife has a nice forward weight to it that I really love, not to light not to heavy...The only complaint I have is the finish/polish on the handle is so high that it is a bit slippery, not a big deal...My final thought..."If you don't own a Bidinger,you should"

Pics of the test... or it didn't happen ;). What are the specs on your Bidinger? I think I saw a few pics in a different thread but is it Magnacut, AEB-L, or another stainless? Give us the deets!

Very recently, I have been bugging him alot, asking tons of questions which he all kindly answered, and in return he offered to add my email on the waitlist. Seems like one year is the minimum tho consider how popular he is now.
I’m probably on a similar timeframe then. I’m definitely excited but not in a rush as I get to take notes on his work and figure out what I really want.

So I decided to do a head to head comparison with the Bidinger to my best cutters (Kip..Halcyon..Lasuer..Catchside..Ingoglia) I used potato,carrots and apples for the test...I will keep this simple...The Bidinger beat every knife in ease of cutting...I honestly wasn't expecting it to best my crazy thin Kip but it did by a very slight margin...But the silence that was heard when going through food is the tell tail of perfection!!!The knife has a nice forward weight to it that I really love, not to light not to heavy...The only complaint I have is the finish/polish on the handle is so high that it is a bit slippery, not a big deal...My final thought..."If you don't own a Bidinger,you should"

I forget - was yours a b-grind?

I forget - was yours a b-grind?
20230225_200555.jpg

Asymmetrical B grind...I really didn't dive into food release because I feel it's part technique and part knife grind...It had very good food release...But was it better than the convex ground knives? Not really...The Halcyon and Ingoglia convex grinds had just as good food release.

This is high praise.

What kind of Kippington do you have?

Weird to hear about the food release not being better than a “standard” convex. Maybe you just have super amazing technique.

This is high praise.

What kind of Kippington do you have?

Weird to hear about the food release not being better than a “standard” convex. Maybe you just have super amazing technique.
The Halcyon and Ingoglia have excellent food release...If the potato isn't sticking you really can't say one "isn't sticking better" if you understand what I am saying.

The Halcyon and Ingoglia have excellent food release...If the potato isn't sticking you really can't say one "isn't sticking better" if you understand what I am saying.

Yeah, fair enough!

What sort of grind is on the Kippington? And what’s the approximate spine thickness?

Ah, a chevron hook grind. Nice.

Unless that’s a very recent knife, Jules is trying to push that grind even further. Not that that’s saying anything new - he’s always trying to push (as Dan Bidinger does also).

My limited experience is that Jules’ “laser” goes through stuff even more easily, but food release is worse.

Ah, a chevron hook grind. Nice.

Unless that’s a very recent knife, Jules is trying to push that grind even further. Not that that’s saying anything new - he’s always trying to push (as Dan Bidinger does also).

My limited experience is that Jules’ “laser” goes through stuff even more easily, but food release is worse.
It is Very recent and this blade could not be pushed any further than it is.

Calling on @Scott and @DrD23 to post their Bidinger pics. Start the movement

Dan Bidinger BGrind

Dan Bidinger Workhorse - French Profile Coffee Etched

Definitely has some thickness to it but still cuts so smoothly

Think I’ve talked enough about them in my own review 😅

I find it hard that I’ll let these go and my Kipp go … Unless I get a stainless version

And in regards to comparison between maker’s, I would say they’re both amazing and you’d be more than wowed

Last edited:
I am not trying to start any drama or derail the thread but seeing the word ‘standard’ used to describe some incredibly exquisite knives made me clench up a bit. I would love to try a Halcyon someday. I have used all of the others that RRLOVER mentioned and they are among my favorites.

I will have to read up on Bidinger.

Great thread, keep it coming!

It is Very recent and this blade could not be pushed any further than it is.

Don’t challenge Jules. Haha.

If it’s less than 3-4 weeks old, it might be one I saw in progress. That one was pretty thin behind the edge.

Don’t challenge Jules. Haha.

If it’s less than 3-4 weeks old, it might be one I saw in progress. That one was pretty thin behind the edge.
It was the WIP Knife

There is nothing to add to this. Nothing.

Back