Opinions on Yoshikane and Masamoto???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can order KS Masamoto 270mm or 300, no problem, just ask Koki :)

My 240mm KS suji = 100,7g
I really enjoy using it and it gets a lot of use in my home kitchen.
But i mostly use it for butchering an slicing small cuts of meat.
For slicing big stuff like roasts imo you need a longer, more hefty knife.

Lars
Thanks for the weight Lars, that's very helpful.

This knife will be mostly for slicing smaller stuff like duck/chicken breast, trimming and portioning boneless protiens and slicing raw fish. I tend to like slightly heavier knives so this info might've sealed it for the Yoshi.

As for semi-stainless steels. Specially SKD and a-type steels I've observed they are not very stable when ground very thin. Which would probably explain why they are both thick knives. But they do take wonderfully bitey edges. My A-type was at it's optimum performance when I only thinned up 1/3 of the blade. When I thinned farther then that I had a hard time keeping a durable edge on it. So in summation I'd say these steels are Ideal for slicing meat and poultry as they have nice bite and these tasks don't require a thin edge. My favorite all around stainless steels have been the fine grained japanese and swedish steel.

This knife will be mostly for slicing smaller stuff like duck/chicken breast, trimming and portioning boneless protiens and slicing raw fish. I tend to like slightly heavier knives so this info might've sealed it for the Yoshi.

I really enjoy the Yoshikane and the toothy-ness of the SKD for the heavier proteins.

Having never used it for sashimi... perhaps some tearing might occur?

I have a question about the Masamoto KS - is it forged or ground from bar stock?

I really enjoy the Yoshikane and the toothy-ness of the SKD for the heavier proteins.

Having never used it for sashimi... perhaps some tearing might occur?

Thanks, I appreciate the information. For me, this will be mostly trimming & portioning. Although I don't know if the difference in edge quality would be very appearant for me since I usually stop at the 4K level. But, I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on that...

............ I tend to like slightly heavier knives so this info might've sealed it for the Yoshi.

if you like little hefty knife as me, Yoshi is the one you want...my 240 Masamoto KS gyuto-~165g, Yoshikane SLD 240 gyuto~200g. I like use little heavier knife for proteins....

;)

My buddy just bought 24 masamoto.

Both mine [27] and his have one annoying feature. Both are overground right in the middle of the edge length.
Nothing making it unusable but its there.

;)

My buddy just bought 24 masamoto.

Both mine [27] and his have one annoying feature. Both are overground right in the middle of the edge length.
Nothing making it unusable but its there.

Does this happen often w/ the gyutos? I seem to have read about inconsistencies w/ KS...

Back