Paleo Diet

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That ted talk clip has more to do with what our ancestors actually ate

I agree - starting with the differences in digestive physiology between true carnivores and humans - even the early ones. That leads me to think of the term "Paleo" Diet as a marketing tool with little basis in historical fact. Take the Roman Legion for instance - the average legionnaire consumed an average of 700 lbs of grain annually. More if on the march, slightly less while encamped. They also traveled with livestock and foraged local flora and game when necessary. I'm not advocating any life choices by any stretch - I'm just playing the Devil's pragmatist.

I like having hard rules to follow, makes cheating less of a slippery slope.

I agree that if your going to over eat or underestimate calories ... starch will be the enabler.

I think I'm at the point where I'm not looking to loose any more mass, dropped from 230lb-200lb at 6'4". Now I'm finding that its a lot more work to build muscle than it is to lose weight.

When I was in middle years I lost weight fast. I ate very small portions of what ever Mom was making and was excercising and lifting weights. Lost 65 pounds in about 4 months. Managed to keep it off until I went to university, gained some back and then started doing the same thing and lost the weight again. I started my professional job and for the first two years of work I was buried and ate too much and did too little. 10 years later I was the heaviest I ever was. I started the Dukan diet in late Fall and lost a little weight and then fell off the wagon. I tried it again in February and really tried to stick to it. I am down nearly 40 pounds.

The wife still eats starches and so I still get cravings. I really crave fruit, pineapple, apples, and bananas.

I agree about cutting out processed and junk food. To me, it's the no legumes, which includes soy, and no rice, that are most difficult in my opinion. I'm mostly Japanese - asking me to take soy and rice out of my diet would remove nearly all of the condiments and seasonings used in Japanese cooking.

Come on Mr. Lee. This is America. I don't think it should be that hard. A few fusion dishes should suffice. Instead of soy sauce you can use worcestershire sauce. And instead of rice you can use the wonderful grain that is quinoa. Has anyone tried sushi with quinoa? That would be interesting.

Come on Mr. Lee. This is America. I don't think it should be that hard. A few fusion dishes should suffice. Instead of soy sauce you can use worcestershire sauce. And instead of rice you can use the wonderful grain that is quinoa. Has anyone tried sushi with quinoa? That would be interesting.
Heston Blumenthal has recipes for it in Heston at home book.

I read somewhere that the longest living group of Americans are Seventh day adventist women.No meat or Dairy,lots of fresh fruits & Veg.Complex carbo's like brown rice & potato's.Beans in abundance,most meat substitutes wt.soy bean base.Many beans that cultures use are packed wt. nutrition just a few all stars Soy,Garbanzo,black eyed peas.

I raced bicycles in my younger years.Liked the race uphill fr. sealevel to 10,000 feet top of Haleakala,race called cycle to the sun.Did 3 of them in my late 30's.Had a girlfriend who was a health nut.Read a book she had laying around called Fit For Life.Ran track & cross country in high school,Surfing was all my excercise after that.Working in Banquets & drinking too much beer decided to start riding bikes to help lose weight.Found was a natural climber even in my late thirty's.

When I trained for that race mornings before work esp. month before race tough rides alot of hill work much out of the saddle.Was working full time + Ice carving accounts with other hotels.Was moving early morning till late night,sleep like a log.

Ate lots of fresh fruit & vegetables,almost no dairy except butter on my baked potato's,brown rice,whole grain pasta.Fish.Never even caught a cold or get sick with this heavy activity usually over 3 months training.Like those Roman legions you need complex carbo's to fuel the muscles for the long march.Thats why fad diets like Atkin's fail.Didn't that guy die already?

Latest posts

Back