Pass Around for 260mm Gyuto in 52100 Schedule

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knife should be on its way to TheoRy this morning. Thanks, Andrew H for a prompt dispatch and for taking part in this project.

M

Knife should be on its way to TheoRy this morning. Thanks, Andrew H for a prompt dispatch and for taking part in this project.

M

Indeed it was sent off yesterday. Tracking says Rick will have it on Saturday. Thanks again for doing this and my thoughts will be posted over the weekend.

Thanks, Andrew -

May I ask that your comments be posted in a Reviews section of the forum?

Marko

Knife finally arrived at Rick (Theory) and as tomorrow, 11/12/12, Rick will have one week to test it.

I will ask that after this, the knife is shipped to me, so I can tweak it for recommendations, and then I will drop it of with Son in NYC in person.

M

Got the knife from Theory. Will do a couple of suggested tweaks on it and deliver it to Son. Probably early next week, when I am in the city.

M

I still have some. :) Good stuff, so I savor it in small quantities. :)

Good.

I am going to drop the pass around with you on Tuesday or Wednesday. Will PM you over the weekend as I know more.

M

OK, I need to resume passaround for the 260mm.

I am going to make a new knife to reflect the changes I have made in the last several months.

I will give you a choice of 52100 or mystery carbon, as they are comparable. A2 is a bit different when it comes to sharpness, so it is out. Mystery carbon is more reactive than 52100 so it will have to have a forced patina. Not sure if that is an issue for pro folks on the passround list.

So, in short, let me know what to make - 52100 or mystery carbon.

Thanks,

Marko

PS: I pulled the knife from the pass-around as I felt that I was making changes and that the knife in circulation would not be a good representative of my current work. I now grind knives thicker and heftier than I used to and I made some changes to handle design.

Marko,
I would love to be part of this passaround. 52100 would be my preference, since you've been working to perfect your HT for quite a while. I'm a pro, but I teach now, so I wouldnt be putting the knife through tons of prep, but it would see quite a diverse set of ingredients.

I am totally cool with 52100. I threw in mystery carbon as it is a new exciting steel for me, but 52100 is definitely a safer bet and it has very good wear resistance properties. So, 52100 it is.

I would love to try the 52100 if I'm able to join the next passaround.

I would live to try it if available. I am a pro in the Hudson valley so if you want to finish with me I could drop it off to you. Thanks.

Guys,
I have to stick to the list, but after I might pass it around a second time provided it is in a good shape.

M

I am a pro in the Boston area and would be honored to try the knife out and give you a great honest review of its performance. Thanks!

Did I already try this knife or is this the different grind you were telling me about?

Rick, you tried the first one. I am going to send out a second one that is closer how I grind now (a bit thicker and D handle is a bit refined).

Son, looks like it will be 52100. However, if you like it, you probably will like mystery carbon as well. I also owe you a knife, thought it might be a while.

M

you don't owe me anything but, if your offering, I'll wait as long as it takes. gotta a couple of new batches of hooch waiting for you.

I know you said you sticking to the original list, but I'd love to be considered for a pass-around of this knife, either 52100 or mystery.

i would love to be added on to the tail end of a pass around, if possible.

Son, why you never send me hooch, no more? You find new lover?

Latest posts

Back