pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I have been thinking about a semi custom/midtech type line of knives. water jet cut blanks triple quench etc.. premade wa handles so I would do the grinding and heat treat and then assemble them. I was thinking that I could maybe do about 25 knife batches three or for times a year all the same style/size per batch. considering a prototype mid tech for the pass around. what do y'all think?

so I have been thinking about a semi custom/midtech type line of knives. water jet cut blanks triple quench etc.. premade wa handles so I would do the grinding and heat treat and then assemble them. I was thinking that I could maybe do about 25 knife batches three or for times a year all the same style/size per batch. considering a prototype mid tech for the pass around. what do y'all think?

Please do that!!

I like that idea very much.

I think that would be a great way to get your knives into more hands

Hi Bill,

I think that is a winning idea!! What type of steel do you think you would use?? Please put my name down on the list for the first batch!!
:knife:

Guess a 52100 core san mai would be impossible for a mid tech, lol. Great idea. I don't think you would have any problems selling them all.

Depends. If it's AWESOME, please do. I'd rather buy AWESOME without the fancy.:2cents:

The knives would be 52100 with a slightly modified(for ease of production) triple quench triple temper heat treat. Tinking about holding #s 1 and 25 out of each bath and doing a set at the end of the year with matching handles and block

The knives would be 52100 with a slightly modified(for ease of production) triple quench triple temper heat treat. Tinking about holding #s 1 and 25 out of each bath and doing a set at the end of the year with matching handles and block

And #13 for each batch for Colin set!!'m:

I'm in. 13 is my lucky number so is love to get #13!

Sory, every one here knows I get the #13's...Hoss, Dave, Dell, Marco, Heiji, Stephan, Michele....you can't mess up my collection :bat:

I think that this is a really good example of how to best use the passaround concept.

Why waterjet? Pierre wrote this in his mid tech knife thread:

They will be cut out by lasers, tighter tollerance than water jet. Same end result, knife blanks. They will be heat treated in salts, in my opinion, a more consistant process. They will also be cryo treated.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?3920-Breaking-news!&p=61451&viewfull=1#post61451

Why waterjet?
Cost? Easier to find a place to get it done? Does it matter? Will be hand-ground to final profile, so will a couple hundredths of a mm here or there when rough cut really make a difference?

Not sure if you are just curious as to Bill's fellings about laser vs water (if he even has any), or if you are asking him to defend his position. I suspect it is the former, but your post reads like the latter.

Why waterjet? Pierre wrote this in his mid tech knife thread:

They will be cut out by lasers, tighter tollerance than water jet. Same end result, knife blanks. They will be heat treated in salts, in my opinion, a more consistant process. They will also be cryo treated.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?3920-Breaking-news!&p=61451&viewfull=1#post61451

Hi Oivind,

Waterjet because there is a good one locally that likes knives and is a nice guy that is very easy to work with.

ARGH!

I know I don't need one, and I know I have like a HUGE order of customs at you already, but still I want one!
You drive me insane!

Back