Passaround: Kippington Chevron Hook Grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
860296d692145e2ffa6285ad214000bc.jpg

My first thought on this picture was "manual powered 1x72" - then I saw the little grinding wheel.

My bad as I was one of the last ones to use the chevron before it went back Kipp. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I recall enjoying this knife a lot. Profile, heat treat, balance f&f all top notch as expected from Kipp. The grind?! Well, first thing that struck me (and surprised me!) was how versatile the knife felt. I expected it to be a one trick pony; instead I felt I could pretty much use it for anything. The release was, as expected, very good. Over all, I’d rate it beige++

My bad as I was one of the last ones to use the chevron before it went back Kipp. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I recall enjoying this knife a lot. Profile, heat treat, balance f&f all top notch as expected from Kipp. The grind?! Well, first thing that struck me (and surprised me!) was how versatile the knife felt. I expected it to be a one trick pony; instead I felt I could pretty much use it for anything. The release was, as expected, very good. Over all, I’d rate it beige++

I recently received a new example of his chevron hook grind and I had the same experience. I thought I'd clearly feel the grind and so far I don't. Food release is amazing but it isn't just a potatoes and alliums knife, it does nearly everything well. His profiles, at least for me, shame a number of other highly regarded makers. Eventually I'll put up a short cutting video or two but for now my advice is don't pass up a chance to buy a Kippington.

What’s it going to take to get a chevron hook mass drop? Name your price and terms - a year wait, no problem; payment in bitcoin, we can make it happen. Ok, maybe not bitcoin but one of the other coins for sure

What’s it going to take to get a chevron hook mass drop? Name your price and terms - a year wait, no problem; payment in bitcoin, we can make it happen. Ok, maybe not bitcoin but one of the other coins for sure

@Kippington you should absolutely either take him up on this or not take him up on this!

@Kippington you should absolutely either take him up on this or not take him up on this!
@ian you should be advocating for this, the massketeers have you lined up for your chevron hook grind if kippington falls thru. You better get that workshop sorted asap

• Sad
Reactions: ian
I designed the chevron (and hook grind) because, as a knife enthusiast, I really love to use things like that in the kitchen. Making them on the other hand - they're a real pain in the backside, and the thought of scaling it up into a massdrop makes me feel sick. 🤮

I designed the chevron (and hook grind) because, as a knife enthusiast, I really love to use things like that in the kitchen. Making them on the other hand - they're a real pain in the backside, and the thought of scaling it up into a massdrop makes me feel sick. 🤮

They do say that Australians are masochists, so I’m cunningly interpreting this as a wholehearted acceptance of the whole massdrop chevron shaboodle. Ta very much squire

👍

Y'all, it's not really that hard to get @Kippington to to a Massdrop. You just have to phrase it correctly.

Announcing KKF Massdrop #4 by Kippington Blades

Terms are simple. For those lucky winners chosen, the relevant details will be as follows.

Sizes: There will be 2 options for lengths, "big" and "small".

Grind: All details are up to the bladesmith, and may vary from blade to blade.

Handles: Mostly wood.

Timeframe: The winners can expect delivery.

Price: $1k USD, or $2k AUD.

Please register your interest by commenting on this thread.

Y'all, it's not really that hard to get @Kippington to to a Massdrop. You just have to phrase it correctly.

Announcing KKF Massdrop #4 by Kippington Blades

Terms are simple. For those lucky winners chosen, the relevant details will be as follows.

Sizes: There will be 2 options for lengths, "big" and "small".

Grind: All details are up to the bladesmith, and may vary from blade to blade.

Handles: Mostly wood.

Timeframe: The winners can expect delivery.

Price: $1k USD, or $2k AUD.

Please register your interest by commenting on this thread.
Steel and construction: Mostly iron.

Back