Patina Dilemma

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to start my blue patina by cutting some meat cooked medium-rare and then I leave the knife in the block for about a week with no mineral oil coating so that the patina has a chance to set in.

has anyone tried collecting meat juices/blood and doing the bubble wrap trick? I'm curious to see what that looks like

I just took a pic of the cleaned up area, after my first round on a Jnat.
You can see where the rust spots were cleaned up. I can't wait to make it all bluey-purple!

af34c4b1.jpg

As you can see, rust sucks! Now I NEED that patina to cover it up!

I tried ketchup on a knife earlier and it actually made a little difference to the patina that had already sorta been established. I'd say it's probably because there's vinegar in it, went a dark gray colour. I've tried literally about 20 coats of mustard on the knife, yet it still reacts with onions a little

Here's my update. I went rare steak, cut into strips, let it sit for about 10 mins. I then followed it up with HOT water, dried it, put two coats of ketchup on each side, dabbed with a paper towel and wiped it down and let it sit for a while with mineral oil. Here's a picture of the end result (after another touch up on the Jnat), along with the inspiration.

720eab9e.jpg

What a fun day!
Thanks for the ketchup tip, EdipisReks. Much prettier than some other types of patinas!

ahhh ketchup...is there anything it can't do?
looks amazing,nice work!:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back