Patina removal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard1978

Reaction score
Hi guys i have removed patinta watermarks from my knives with a rust eraser and cleaning stone but after the patina is removed you can clearly see the scratch marks!...the only way i have found that works is by polishing on a finishing stone but i was hoping i didnt have to get the stones out every time i use the knife and obviously its not effective on removing patina from the era on single bevel knives. Im also worried about removing the patina from a kourochi style knife as i dont want to remove any of the black kourouchi.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Cheers and merry christmas

Richard

Attachments

• 20201220_124413.jpg
    20201220_124413.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20201220_124408.jpg
    20201220_124408.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 68
Rust erasers are pretty aggressive, and best saved for removing rust not patina.
Flitz or simichrome work well to remove patina.
Bar Keeper's Friend is slightly more heavy duty--use cork or a radish. I have no idea if they have BKF in OZ, but there should be some similar mild scrubbing powder.

Last edited:
Rust erasers are pretty aggressive, and best saved for removing rust not patina.
Flitz or simichrome woek well to remove patina.
Bar Keeper's Friend is slightly more heavy duty--use cork or a radish. I have no idea if they have BKF in NZ, but there should be some similar mild scrubbing powder.
Autosol is another option.

Mothers metal polish (probably most metal polishes would work) will do the trick.

Fine sandpaper (W&D used wet) can be used. I usually use a grit or two above what I reckon the blade finish is.

Rust erasers come in fine, medium and coarse. The fine one work for the finish on some ironclad knives.

I'll second the call for fine grit sandpaper, used wet. For some reason, after I use bar keepers friend, my knife will form rust rather than patina.

Baking soda(don’t be shy), hot water, the soft side of a sponge, and some elbow grease

This would be my recommendation for very gentle patina removal too. A lot of baking soda and a little water or lemon juice, just enough to form a paste that can act as a super-fine abrasive.

I use a scotch brite wheel for my bench grinder, works great, get a fine wheel on amazon.

I use a scotch brite wheel for my bench grinder, works great, get a fine wheel on amazon.

That’s a super aggressive option. I do that for some cheaper knives sharpening clients give me, but it’s more when the knives are super scratched up and need a new quick finish anyway. The OP is talking about removing patina without creating scratches. Of course, the OP hasn’t signed in since Jan, so who cares! :)

Back