Peaches Peaches Peaches

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to go with 3.5" sheepsfoot. The birds beak looks nice also. I will have to try that messermeister peeler also. Thanks again.

David

Yeah, a little bit. Most of the times it doesn't matter, but I can see if you want nice clean cuts that the peeler is not the best option.

k.

Every time to topic of peeling anything comes up, I make the same recommendation, so Ill do it again,
this:
d.12735.jpg
http://www.rosleusa.com/Swivel-Peeler-crosswise-plu12735.html

It's the only peeler that I know of where the blade is removable so that you can sharpen it yourself to an absurd, hair-peeling level.
You need something narrow to sharpen it; I use edge pro stones, but wet/dry sand paper over a strip of wood would work fine too. Up to 2K is available at any auto parts store, and once it start to wear out, it actually seem to give a finer than 2k polish anyway.

It's a little single bevel blade and while small, it's still much thicker and more rigid than any other that I've used so it doesn't stutter on tough stuff like squash. It leaves a nice sooth, almost polished look to the cut -kinda like a finishing plane.

The only down side, as others have mentioned, is that it's not a knife. However, you can always make a custom replacement blade out of AEB-L or CMP-154 or the new X-whatever steel... yeah, the blade would cost a few times the price of the peeler, but I'd probably buy one...

Might need one as well... hmmm. The fact the I can sharpen it.... I remember discovering I could sharpen a mandolin....

Nice, that Roesle one is going on my list. I have been reasonably happy with the Kyocera ceramic ones, but one can never have enough gadgets. BTW, where is Gator, haven't seen him around much lately?

Stefan

OK Fine, I'm in... you sold me. Pusher.

Mr. Amazon.... one Rosle crosswise swivel peeler please.
What's that? It will be on my doorstep next week?
Why thank you.

OK Fine, I'm in... you sold me. Pusher.

Heh heh heh:devilburn:... always fun to return the favor to the rest of the forum and post something that makes OTHER people buy more sharp things.

Seriously though, not many times in the knife world where you can make a purchase and get the "best" of a category and only spend ~$20. I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.

Thanks, as always, this site is an incredible resource for aspiring kitchen folk.

edit: woops, wrong thread.

Had mine for a couple of months now, currently hunting down a current student with my Gyuto who borrowed it one day, with my permission, but forgot to return it. This same kid lost one of the screws earlier and I had to replace it via a hardware store. If you get one, attach it to yourself.

Once I get it back it's probably about do for a sharpening. Going to have to locate a skinny stone to do that with. Any cheap suggestions would be awesome.

Had mine for a couple of months now, currently hunting down a current student with my Gyuto who borrowed it one day, with my permission, but forgot to return it. This same kid lost one of the screws earlier and I had to replace it via a hardware store. If you get one, attach it to yourself.

Once I get it back it's probably about do for a sharpening. Going to have to locate a skinny stone to do that with. Any cheap suggestions would be awesome.

Might be able to use the side of a stone you already have.

rosle really is the best peeler, i don't use anything else for peeling stuff besides a western paring knife. but be careful, it is basically surgical and will take chunks off your hand if not paying attention while mass peeling potatoes/carrots/etc... i've had the unfortunate experience of taking off a chunk of my palm whilst in use. first discovered it while bargain shopping at a homegoods.

i imagine you can buy replacement blades for it? wonder if there are any sources for it.

Back