Perfect custom cheese knife - Challange to knife makers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a wee lad back in Kentucky, my grandfather had a pretty cool cheese slicing setup. It was a narrow wood cutting board with a pivoting wire cutter setup like a guillotine paper shear. It worked on the big blocks of bulk American cheese like the government now gives away. Think a standard slice of American being the "short dimensions" something like that would handle almost anything you could throw at it. Not sure if he boughtit or made it. He was a tinkerer, so he may have assembled it from parts.

We had one of those! I'd forgotten all about it. It almost seems as though there was a groove in the board that the wire went into so that it would pass below the surface of the board and make a complete cut. A royal pain to clean the groove, if I remember correctly.

Like this???:
Bamboo-Cheese-Slicer-26130.jpg

I have one on marble instead of wood. Not that hard to find.

-AJ

And they work. Not elegant or "high speed, low drag", but effective. The bad part is having to replace the wire if you break it. Amazon has a marble version listed for $10.49.

Alton Brown makes one in this episode of Good Eats:

Starts at 8:14

[video=youtube;NxzYaIiqnS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzYaIiqnS0&feature=related[/video]

So what is the ideal size of wire for a cheese board? I suspect that my stainless safety wire might be a bit too thick........

David, are you reading this? Will we see cheese boards with wires in the near future? :) I think cheese and walnut go very well together :D

Stefan

It almost seems as though there was a groove in the board that the wire went into so that it would pass below the surface of the board and make a complete cut. A royal pain to clean the groove, if I remember correctly.

David, are you reading this? Will we see cheese boards with wires in the near future? :) I think cheese and walnut go very well together :D

Stefan

So maybe make the board in 2 pieces, and put a hinge at one end and a latch at the other. and make the board a bit thicker, too. That way the wire could go below the board surface, and still clear the tops of the hinge and latch. At cleaning time, unlatch and swing the short end away from the longer end, and clean the ends of the board.

Delbert can make the metal arm assembly, hinges and latches (mokume, of course!) and Boadsmith can fabricate the cutting board pieces. Final assembly by Dave M.

Order now, and open on christmas morning! :hungry:

So maybe make the board in 2 pieces, and put a hinge at one end and a latch at the other. and make the board a bit thicker, too. That way the wire could go below the board surface, and still clear the tops of the hinge and latch. At cleaning time, unlatch and swing the short end away from the longer end, and clean the ends of the board.

Delbert can make the metal arm assembly, hinges and latches (mokume, of course!) and Boadsmith can fabricate the cutting board pieces. Final assembly by Dave M.

Order now, and open on christmas morning! :hungry:

Seems like this would be a little pricey!

Seems like this would be a little pricey!
Oh, sorry about that -- I thought this forum was full of people who have spent $500+ on a single kitchen knife :dontknow:

Actually, it would be easy enough to buy one of the ones shown in order to pull off the cutting assembly, and insert that in a 2-piece board like I envisioned. Would be a lot less expensive (although not nearly as cool as having a the cutting assembly made from mokume :()

One handle or two? I ask because it makes a difference. Also how long a blade are you thinking, same reason.
Del

I read the first page when I wrote this, are we still interested in a knife or am I making some mokume wire frames?

we need feather damascus arms for the cutter.

You guys kill me! But...i will think of this when i am out in the shop and try to make a good cheese knife....Dammit....there goes my A.D.D. flaring up again....

I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I would weigh in as I manage the Specialty Foods section (Cheese, Beer, Wine, Olives, Coffee) at a local health-food/gourmet store. We cut tons of different cheeses...everyday.

The only cheese I can think of that we never try to tackle with the wire cutter is Parmigiano Reggiano (due to its massive size and crazy-thick rind.) There's just no way to break through that rind with a wire cutter. We take a trio of medieval torture-looking tools to score it all the way around and literally crack it open and break it down from there into appropriate sizes.

Anyway, we rotate between a pair of wire cutters 99% of the time and occasionally use some dedicated "cheese knives" like the ones pictured earlier in the thread with the gaping holes in the middle. There's also an interesting knife I've used a handful of times that is both extremely thin and short, but with a normal sized handle. These dedicated cheese knives really are only good when cutting soft cheese (soft-ripened, creamy, chèvre, etc) but the cheese wire works better most of the time.

We use a 10" German-styled chef's knife a good bit for trimming pieces (mold removal) for repackaging and for sampling of any cheese that isn't super soft. It really depends on the particular cheese you're working with and how thin you're trying to cut it as to what the best tool is, but again, you normally can't go wrong with the wire unless you're just doing something crazy. Some cheese is just impossible to slice very thin by nature.

My point is, if you were to make the perfect custom cheese knife, I don't think it would be a knife, but instead some variation on the cheese wire cutter. My 2 cents.

Below is a photo of the cheese cutter we use. Next picture is the thin and short-bladed knife I referred to, and below that is someone knee deep in cracking a wheel of Parm open!

cheesecutter.jpg

skinnyoffset.jpg

4805020673_4ae8dba1e6.jpg

Welcome buddy! Hmm... in that last pic, the knife might be wedging a bit... :)

Philibuster,
What is the brand name of your cheese wire?

Glen

Back