Perfect fries?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So for the fries, I was off on something, the heat or time, not sure. They were good, but not crisp. Insides were great. The fried chicken was holy shite good! As were the onion rings. All in all a success. Need to sort out the fries...
IMG_4100.jpgIMG_4101.jpgIMG_4099.jpgIMG_4102.jpg

Lol! Almost as good as sex! Ok, fine maybe not that good, but lets say I filled the old store house that meal!

The chicken is actually similar to KFC chicken, its not the same flavor, but I'll tell you what, I would not cross the street for KFC if I had the choice to eat this.

The onion rings are a beer battered concoction, that as soon as the hit the oil, they baloon up and fry very crisp. I used Kilkenny Irish cream ale. I would think there will be many attempts with different beers in my future!

I can put recipes up if there is anyone wanting...

Great looking food.My son is having a fit wanting that food right now. He keeps saying i want to buy that food dad over and over again. With my fries it turned out to be patience. When I first started I wouldn't wait long enough. Now I wait and watch til they are brown and crisp enough. A very difficult thing for me:biggrin:

Lol! Almost as good as sex! Ok, fine maybe not that good, but lets say I filled the old store house that meal!

The chicken is actually similar to KFC chicken, its not the same flavor, but I'll tell you what, I would not cross the street for KFC if I had the choice to eat this.

The onion rings are a beer battered concoction, that as soon as the hit the oil, they baloon up and fry very crisp. I used Kilkenny Irish cream ale. I would think there will be many attempts with different beers in my future!

I can put recipes up if there is anyone wanting...

I do want recipes!

Never had KFC, so i can't compare.

Here you go! Let me know how it works for you!

Beer Battered Onion Rings

Ingredients
Onion Rings
• 1 large Spanish onion, sliced into 1-cm (1/2-inch) rounds and separated into rings (if desired, set aside the small centre rings for another use)
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
Batter
• 1 cup pastry flour
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup pale ale
• Oil for frying

Directions
Onion Rings
1. Preheat the deep fryer to 190°C (375°F). Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet or line a baking sheet with paper towels.
2. In a paper bag or large bowl, toss the onion rings in the cornstarch to coat well. Set aside.
Batter
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the beer.
2. Using your fingertips or a wooden chopstick, dip the rings in the batter, 4 or 5 at a time. Shake off excess batter and deep-fry for about 3 minutes, turning half way through cooking. Drain on the baking sheet. Season lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Kentucky Style Fried Chicken

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 to 3 eggs, beaten
Oil for deep frying(method 1)
oil for pan frying (method 2)
Coating Mixture:
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Mix together all the coating ingredients and place in a clean plastic bag. Dip each piece into beaten egg, then into the flour mixture in the bag. Coat the chicken completely with the flour mixture.
Method 1
Deep fry until internal temperature reaches or exceeds 180 degrees.
Method 2
Place the oil in a skillet and heat. Brown the chicken in oil slowly (225ºF if you are using an electric skillet), uncovered. Cover the skillet and continue to fry at a very low heat until the chicken is fully cooked, approximately 1 hour.
Drain well on paper towels.

P [U said:
Kentucky Style Fried Chicken[/U]

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 to 3 eggs, beaten
Oil for deep frying(method 1)
oil for pan frying (method 2)
Coating Mixture:
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Mix together all the coating ingredients and place in a clean plastic bag. Dip each piece into beaten egg, then into the flour mixture in the bag. Coat the chicken completely with the flour mixture.
Method 1
Deep fry until internal temperature reaches or exceeds 180 degrees.
Method 2
Place the oil in a skillet and heat. Brown the chicken in oil slowly (225ºF if you are using an electric skillet), uncovered. Cover the skillet and continue to fry at a very low heat until the chicken is fully cooked, approximately 1 hour.
Drain well on paper towels.

I learned how to make good fried chicken from a buddy of mine from Virginia that learned it from his grandma and she swore by version #2 - that was one of my staples in college. Yours looks fantastic Pierre. I'm starvin' just looking at the pictures.

1. Blanch the fries in water quickly to pull out some of the starch from and soften the center (Sometime I add Garlic and a few other things to the water)
2. Spread out the potatoes on a rack or sheet pan to allow the steam to pull as much moisture from the flesh as possible
3. Blanch the fries in the deep fryer @ 375 for approx 2 min, Drain oil. cool.
4. Finish Cooking fries in the deep dryer @ 375 (golden and swimming)
5. Drain oil and toss with seasoning.
6. Enjoy your crispy french fries :)

Baking frites is blasphomey

Last edited:
So for the fries, I was off on something, the heat or time, not sure. They were good, but not crisp. Insides were great. The fried chicken was holy shite good! As were the onion rings. All in all a success. Need to sort out the fries...
View attachment 4976View attachment 4977View attachment 4978View attachment 4979

here why i think:

chicken you cook for longer time to 325 350 or 375 not that huge of a difference.
onion ring dough cooks faster, so it's fine when they become golden brown

i think the issue with potatoes is oil wasn't hot enough. this is where pre cooking helps... since fries would be at least 1/2 cooked, you're not really worrying about cooking part just crispy part, so I would raise temperature... if you cooked at 375, then try 400-410 and drop them and keep an eye since they will faster/easier to burn.

Back