Petty Profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that that is a very nice, graceful form. I could see stealing this!

Hi Marko,

I personally do not like the back of the blade. It looks like it is curving back toward your fingers and I have many a petty bite me right there when I was picking them up, or changing hands. I feel the back edge of the blade should be rounded toward the tip to protect your fingers from it's bite!

Your design may look cool, but I don't think it is beneficial to nipped fingers. The rest of it looks good! :my2cents:

Hi Marko,

I personally do not like the back of the blade. It looks like it is curving back toward your fingers and I have many a petty bite me right there when I was picking them up, or changing hands. I feel the back edge of the blade should be rounded toward the tip to protect your fingers from it's bite!

Your design may look cool, but I don't think it is beneficial to nipped fingers. The rest of it looks good! :my2cents:

This was more a result of rounding and smoothing the choil, than an intentional design feature. I am considering rounding heel on short knives (as opposed to tall) because of nipping problem. In fact my wife requested it on all her knives, short and tall.
The rounding would be very minimal - just enough to be effective.

M

Hi Marko,

Yup. I foolishly designed a similar curve into a custom suji/petty and ended up sending it back for modification losing a few mm. Hopefully, this one proves to be better.

Yup. I foolishly designed a similar curve into a custom suji/petty and ended up sending it back for modification losing a few mm. Hopefully, this one proves to be better.

Nope, I fixed it. I brought heel down in a straight line and lightly rounded the corner. Did rope cutting test with it, and can attest, no nipping. :)

M

A sturdy petty is a handy knife. I favor short knives, and have a lot of them, but my DT-ITK is the one that gets the most use. It measures 2.5 mm at the heel; comparable to yours. One of its virtues, however, is the steel. While I really like chippy hard stuff, the durability of AEB-L is a virtue for a petty, which tends end up in a pool of juice on the counter while people eat. I'm not sure 52100 is the optimum steel for this application . . .

Hadn't looked at this before, very nice evolution of the shape, I like the last one. For some reason, there seems to be more variety in petties than in other knife shapes. I consider the shorter Carter funayuki to be a petty as far as its function and purpose are concerned - and I like the sturdier SFGZ design for it, cuts through tough cheeses and sausages just fine. At the same time, I love my thinned Blazen 120mm petty which is very narrow and perfect for delicate tasks like segmenting citrus fruit (and it's stainless...) or cutting up berries. So, I think what I want to say is that I prefer these two very different shapes and geometries rather then packing it all into one knife. But I am also the guy who likes a bit more belly on his gyutos and petties, so I may not be part of the majority here...

Stefan

Is 2.5mm considered thick for a petty?
A sturdy petty is a handy knife. I favor short knives, and have a lot of them, but my DT-ITK is the one that gets the most use. It measures 2.5 mm at the heel; comparable to yours. One of its virtues, however, is the steel. While I really like chippy hard stuff, the durability of AEB-L is a virtue for a petty, which tends end up in a pool of juice on the counter while people eat. I'm not sure 52100 is the optimum steel for this application . . .

Hmm. Maybe not. I have ten knives that could be classified as pettys, ranging from 1.8 mm to 3.6 mm thick at the heel. However, that one measurement, taken alone, is not particularly useful or informative, though there is some correlation with stiffness.

Marko called his knife a "mighty petty", with no flex along the spine, and I was referring to an early DT-ITK petty, which shares that attribute, to suggest that maybe stainless was a good thing in a petty.

My thickest petty is nearly 4 mm thick at the spine over the heel and it is an excellent performer in most respects. My thinnest one is just under 1.5 mm thick ove the heel and it feels a little wimpy for some things. My go-to petty is almost 2 mm over the heel.

My thickest petty is nearly 4 mm thick at the spine over the heel and it is an excellent performer in most respects. My thinnest one is just under 1.5 mm thick ove the heel and it feels a little wimpy for some things. My go-to petty is almost 2 mm over the heel.

I have to agree.

I have to say that I find thin knives (or lasers as some call them) as a trend, and trends by definition won't last. If properly ground, a well made mid-thickness knife (3.5-2.5mm at the handle) will cut just as well as a thin knife, will flex less and feel less flimsy in a hand.

This is a direction I am taking with my knives. Not for a lack of skill, mind you, but for the fact that I think a sturdy knife is a better knife.

M

totally agree with your statement Marko. it's more about how the knife grind behind the edge, geometry, and good profile.

I just finished up a Japanese style 155mm blade and it is around 2.3 mm above the heel. It was fully hardened to about 1/2 inch behind the shoulders and straight tapered from the heel forward and it is still fairly stiff.

I just finished up a Japanese style 155mm blade and it is around 2.3 mm above the heel. It was fully hardened to about 1/2 inch behind the shoulders and straight tapered from the heel forward and it is still fairly stiff.

Stiff is good.

Back