Media Pictures/videos of new/unknown makers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had put this one up before in the newest buy thread, but figured I'd add it again here for context. Scott Mcghee of Guinea Hog Forge, JS paring knife in O-1 and ivory micarta. Pictured next to my Rader parer for scale. 2 knives I got for a similar purpose, in hand work. Look different, feel different, but both very good at it and you don't want to put either one down to pick up the other.

Man those McGhee knives just look great! I love the white material - do you know what it is? Doesn't look like g10 or micarta from the picture.

Don,
It is ivory paper micarta, it came out looking whiter in the pic than in real life, and in the right light, you can see the layers in the front and rear scallops in the handle.

Has anyone heard of blue knives from seatlle. blue-knives.com. I've been looking at the website for a while but can't get my self to buy an untested knife.

Has anyone heard of blue knives from seatlle. blue-knives.com. I've been looking at the website for a while but can't get my self to buy an untested knife.

There was a post here on this guy withing the last couple months. Don't recall much about it, but I'll see if I can track it down.

Here's another one. Does anyone know about Don Carlos Andrade. I know a few places that sell his knives including EE, and local shop here in DC. I haven't heard anyone say anything about how well work. They look funky that's for sure and I haven't seen anyone here talk about him. He has his name in some big name places though. il_570xN.383662444_spkt.jpgmoderns1.jpg

he is a student of Tai Goo in the neotribal school of bladesmithing if I remember.

criollo0025.jpgcriollo.jpgSorry to keep adding but has anyone heard of Mariano Gugliotta of Argentina. He has some nice looking stuff. His damascus looks great too. Although it seems like he only does damascus in hunters.

Here's another one. Does anyone know about Don Carlos Andrade. I know a few places that sell his knives including EE, and local shop here in DC. I haven't heard anyone say anything about how well work. They look funky that's for sure and I haven't seen anyone here talk about him. He has his name in some big name places though.View attachment 17887
This one is up on Etsy. Wildly overpriced, I might add. If it cuts as good as it looks, it might be a deal in you lop off a couple of 0's.

Yeah I saw that on his website. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing when it comes to kitchen knives.

I have used a couple and I don't ;ike how they feel or cut at all lots of wedging, thick behind the edge and they just don't feel good on the stones or in the hand for long periods of time. I think it's funny when people want to make things tribal they think they have to look unfinished or cobbled together. Almost without exception I find authentic tribal pieces to be quite refined and elegant and very much designed in the philosophy of form follows function. That is not always the case with the neo tribal movement. With that said, there are some amazing makers who get it and do phenomenal work. I find his work to be rather expensive for what you are getting but, for some one else it may be a bargain.

I have used a couple and I don't ;ike how they feel or cut at all lots of wedging, thick behind the edge and they just don't feel good on the stones or in the hand for long periods of time. I think it's funny when people want to make things tribal they think they have to look unfinished or cobbled together. Almost without exception I find authentic tribal pieces to be quite refined and elegant and very much designed in the philosophy of form follows function. That is not always the case with the neo tribal movement. With that said, there are some amazing makers who get it and do phenomenal work. I find his work to be rather expensive for what you are getting but, for some one else it may be a bargain.

Let me clarify , the knive I used were made a few years ago when he first started making kitchen knives and like many knifemakers who aren't familiar with making kitchen knives he brought the hunting, outdoor camping knife geometry to it and it felt clunky and didn't cut food well. I have not used any of his later works and could not testify to how good they are as cutters. They look like they would work okay at home but, may fatigue you after many hours of prep in a professional kitchen.

Daniel Fairly, a great maker who makes various types of knives, finished a batch of kitchen knives. I'm liking this one he did:

DSC_0444_zpsff72e557.jpg

What is the shape or idea behind the second one from the right? Like a long filet or boner. It looks awesome

Yeah I'm really digging the two to the right. Overall that is some super clean work!

Who's the maker? I can't read the name.

Yeah I'm really digging the two to the right. Overall that is some super clean work!

Who's the maker? I can't read the name.

Josh Dabney. It took me a bit to figure it out too lol, but his name is the title of the post =p.

Duh! Clear as day and I still didn't see it.

His knives seem very familiar and remind me of another maker's, but I can't remember who.

Duh! Clear as day and I still didn't see it.

His knives seem very familiar and remind me of another maker's, but I can't remember who.

I think its someone on Don Fogg's forum...and not kitchen knives. It's been nagging at me too lol.

Back