Please help me select a bottle of bourbon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
For Christmas, I want to give a present to someone who likes good bourbon. I know next to nothing about bourbon, so I'd be grateful for some advice.

I found this list on the web, which supposedly has some of the best. I have no idea which one of these (if any) I should choose. If you know of something better not on that list, that's fine. It has to be a bourbon though that I can actually get my hands on in Australia. (Importing alcohol is complex, and I'd rather not jump through all the hoops with customs, especially at this time of year.)

My price limit is USD 200 (around AUD 300) or about double the most expensive expensive bourbon on that list. So if there is something else really nice, I don't mind paying extra.

Any help you can give me will be most appreciated!

Wow funny (not really) how some great bourbons in Australia I don't see living in Virginia......
Any of the Woodfords, or Widow Jane bourbons would be great gifts to a bourbon lover. The Elijah Graig cask strength is a bit over your ceiling but a special bourbon too.

Hey @Michi
Nicks have the best range that I’ve seen anywhere in Australia. Their ratings are very reliable. Also, I know you said bourbon but don’t rule out considering styles like American Rye Whiskey for something different.
I suggest give them a call, they are really helpful, just ask them what they would recommend, their recommendations are really solid. They’ll be able to suggest something based on what type of Whiskey he drinks normally.

https://www.nicks.com.au/categories...key?maxPrice=300&minRating=95&sort=ratingDesc
If I was forced to choose from this list, Four Roses single barrel is going to be a crowd pleaser, but if you’re looking for something more adventurous, I’d suggest trying a Rye, and even more adventurous would be some of the Balcones Texas Whiskeys (I see there’s a peated one in that list which will be something very different to traditional Bourbon).

Ditto for Eagle Rare and EH Taylor. If I were to give a good quality intro bourbon (even if a person hasn't tried bourbon before), Eagle Rare is my pick. However, EH Taylor is a great 100 proof bourbon. I have tried a plethora of unicorn bourbons and higher end bottles but personally still love both Eagle Rare and EH. You do not need to spend anywhere near $200usd to get a good bourbon.

Plus those two options (Eagle Rare and EH Taylor) have some cachet, unlike say Trace or Bookers or Makers. Blantons used to be everywhere. If you can get any kind of Weller or Van Winkle (unlikely) go for it.

Avoid:
Angels Envy
Jefferson’s Ocean
Whistlepig
Jim Beam
Four Roses
Bulleit
Anything by Jack Daniel’s (it’s not bourbon)

EH Taylor, Noahs' Mill, Elijah Craig 12 year old, Michters, Old Forester 1920
I thought Eagle Rare drank hot. Seems like a bit of an entry level Bourbon to my taste. Avoid Blanton's. Hyped and not very good.

Plus those two options (Eagle Rare and EH Taylor) have some cachet, unlike say Trace or Bookers or Makers. Blantons used to be everywhere. If you can get any kind of Weller or Van Winkle (unlikely) go for it.

Avoid:
Angels Envy
Jefferson’s Ocean
Whistlepig
Jim Beam
Four Roses
Bulleit
Anything by Jack Daniel’s (it’s not bourbon)
Why? Most people I know love at least half that list. I personally like Bulleit, four roses, and whistlepig.

1. Many of those are actually Midwest Grain Products alcohol from Indiana. Not bourbon.
2. As a gift, I would suggest a bottle of something not available at waist to shoulder level in every liquor store (in America anyway).
3. I have had many of the Four Roses and not impressed, even some single barrel. Some are just bad. Admittedly this is personal preference.

Hey @Michi
Nicks have the best range that I’ve seen anywhere in Australia. Their ratings are very reliable. Also, I know you said bourbon but don’t rule out considering styles like American Rye Whiskey for something different.
I suggest give them a call, they are really helpful, just ask them what they would recommend, their recommendations are really solid. They’ll be able to suggest something based on what type of Whiskey he drinks normally.

https://www.nicks.com.au/categories...key?maxPrice=300&minRating=95&sort=ratingDesc
If I was forced to choose from this list, Four Roses single barrel is going to be a crowd pleaser, but if you’re looking for something more adventurous, I’d suggest trying a Rye, and even more adventurous would be some of the Balcones Texas Whiskeys (I see there’s a peated one in that list which will be something very different to traditional Bourbon).
Good point on Rye. I saw Nick's had Willet Bourbon, which I have not had, but their small batch cask strength Rye is very good and not crazy expensive (~$70 in the US)

They have the Willet Rye. Highly recommended!
https://www.nicks.com.au/products/w...ease-cask-strength-straight-rye-whiskey-750ml

Back