Please 'splain this

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case I’d be very hesitant to put any bevel opposite the chisel as the would make it quite thick behind the edge without some serious thinning
I'd personally convex the right side, making it less chisel like. Which would also help reduce any possible steering.

Unless you're using it in denser foods, you more than likely won't notice any steering. If you do encounter steering, you can compensate by sharpening each side at a different angle.

For example:

Steers to the left/clockwise = sharpen at a higher angle on the left side or lower on the right side.

Steers to right/counterclockwise = sharpen at a higher angle on the right side or lower on the left side.
Cheese (especially if its bigger blocks) is definitly one of the products where I found steering most noticable in a knife.
It's actually why I gave up on using my honesuki as a cheese knife.

That being said 'what makes a good cheese knife' is a problematic proposition in the first place since cheeses vary wildly in hardness, stickyness, etc. and different cheeses favor different kinds of knives.
Likewise, many shorter cheese knives are meant more for a cheese platter than doing big blocks of cheese.

I have the same Wusthof knife OP shows and I never use it. The etchings on the lower portion of the blade face do nothing and the overall profile is something I'm not a fan of.
Having said all that I'm gonna try and find it and throw it in my kit for work this week.

Back