Pocket knife help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carried a Chap daily for a year or so. Very nice and capable knife.

The edges of most all factory knives are not the best. They are massed produced for the masses. If they make them appealing to us knife knuts, they'd be too fragile for the average user and they'd be dealing with complaints all the time.

With all due respect in regard to the overheated edge steel, this is largely internet lore oft repeated by so-called knife reviewers on YouTube. The fact is, in all of their owned and contracted facilities, all Spyderco knives are sharpened under coolant. Sal himself has confirmed that and said he doesn't understand this assertion. I know guys like Outpost76 says he has to sharpen two or three times to "get into the good steel" but I just don't understand that. Maybe it's happening but I don't know what the cause is.

I've absolutely had many Spydercos with uneven grinds and burrs remaining but again, I could say that about many of the popular makers.

Now Bark River Knives? Yeah, there's a good chance you'll have damaged steel from the sharpening process. Heck, there's a fair chance with them that you won't even get the steel they say it is, but that's a discussion for another place. :)

iirc the overheated edge thing was a sort of guessing game about some early Zero Tolerance Elmax heat treats, which irrespective of why they were the way they were, were dogshit

never heard about Spyderco having any similar sort of problems.

lots of really cheap knives that are sharpened on belts without care do get damaged steel, but part of paying for a Spyderco is that they take the time to do it right, and indeed Ive never had a problem with one and Ive owned tons.

anyway OOTB spyderco edges are fine but not amazing. but they are sharpened at a fairly steep angle for a factory pocket knife so at least you dont have to do a massive amount of work on them

also this:
1649718011063.png

lots of love for Spyderco!!

your description screamed Benchmade Proper to me. a gentlemans knife you dont use all the time, but it's there when duty calls.

for me? i'd get the Benchmade Mini Osborne..but i have way too many knives and these days my SAK Farmer rides shotgun in my pocket most days.

WAIT! i would like to amend my decision above. i assume slip-joint knife. which is why i suggested the Proper. SCREW THAT!

i have been on a GiantMouse thing. i am eyeballing the GiantMouse Ace Sonoma, because i live in Sonoma County, CA.

BUT!! look at the ACE FARLEY!! wow. a modern slip-joint!!

1650376269380.png

WAIT! i would like to amend my decision above. i assume slip-joint knife. which is why i suggested the Proper. SCREW THAT!

i have been on a GiantMouse thing. i am eyeballing the GiantMouse Ace Sonoma, because i live in Sonoma County, CA.

BUT!! look at the ACE FARLEY!! wow. a modern slip-joint!!

View attachment 175642

There's actually a wide selection of modern slip joints these days. lionSTEEL makes several varieties with the Thrill probably being the most "modern". Viper has a few models as well with the Key being popular and the Dan getting very high praise from those in regions where no lock is mandatory.

Also, while I don't see that specific Giant Mouse model on the site, Lynch Northwest is now a dealer and sells them with their titanium clip if you're interested.

https://www.lynchnw.com/knives

Oh and in keeping with the Spyderco love, they make a number of slip joints with the UKPK being kind of the flagship. It's an excellent knife that can be had different variants.

I love my little dragon fly. Over budget, but I have some small (and large) sebenzas dating from 2012. Contact me privately.

I love my little dragon fly. Over budget, but I have some small (and large) sebenzas dating from 2012. Contact me privately.
I have dragonfly Salt edition. It never leaves my PFD for kayaking. Great tiny knife.

I have dragonfly Salt edition. It never leaves my PFD for kayaking. Great tiny knife.

Have a look at the SNAPIT Salt. It can be clipped to the outside of the vest.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C26YL/Snap-It-trade-Salt-reg-FRN-Kraton/975
I saw a YT video where a guy credits it with saving his life on a boat. He was in the cabin when it capsized and it triggered his auto-flotation device and pinned him up against the floor (now ceiling) and he couldn't get out. He was able to reach up, unclip the knife, cut his device and swim free.

Have a look at the SNAPIT Salt. It can be clipped to the outside of the vest.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C26YL/Snap-It-trade-Salt-reg-FRN-Kraton/975
I saw a YT video where a guy credits it with saving his life on a boat. He was in the cabin when it capsized and it triggered his auto-flotation device and pinned him up against the floor (now ceiling) and he couldn't get out. He was able to reach up, unclip the knife, cut his device and swim free.
Mine saved me. Maybe not my life, but some embarrassment. I got tangled in my fishing line and weeds. Wind blew me into the shoreline. Had to cut myself free. I couldn’t even reach my boat knife.

There's plenty of great knives out there in the size and quality, but as quality and reliability go up...so does the price. I have some bias as I have knife maker friends. I tend to look at both the knife designer AND the manufacturer as well. that said..Ernest Emerson has some nice smaller knives...most recently the Junebug. The Mini A-100, mini CQC7,mini Commander, and Horseman come to mind. A family owned company, Emerson Knives has the best customer service in the industry. A lot has been said of Spyderco...and I own several of them, but Benchmade, Kershaw, and ZT have many offerings in the smaller size. Bob Terzuola has several designs in the production knife side of things, as does Tom Mayo and Jens Anso. Ken Onion of course has lots of designs with Kershaw. One of his shop guys, Jeff Park has a nice knife design called the Bones. There is a plethora of knives in the smaller size. My personal knife carry right now is an Emerson CQC6, and a Junebug. Working around the yard...I carry a well used Spyderco Salt....which I also carry when I am out fishing.

Back