Polishing a shigefusa

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried polishing by hand heel to tip before and wasn't very happy with the results, but then I was informed of the stropping on sandpaper method by a helpful fellow forum member and I found the results to be infinitely better. That was with a blade that had vertical grind marks though

I tried polishing by hand heel to tip before and wasn't very happy with the results, but then I was informed of the stropping on sandpaper method by a helpful fellow forum member and I found the results to be infinitely better. That was with a blade that had vertical grind marks though

heel to tip is only for knives with marks running horizontally.

Well you could say that but these fingerstones are quite difficult to use and just posting them out costs more then the pieces itself.

I agree that theres no mystery about the whole polishing aspect, what amazes me about Iizuka though, is that they propably did 100 thousand blades and still have the love to polish every single one they make!

Whats most important? Imho time.
Turbo you might be a turbo chef :tease: but for this job, get all of the sandpapers - from 200 to 800, get a piece of muslin cloth or felt, get some polishing compound [be it fingerstones but might be some mud from king 1k stone],cloths ,water and will, set up section, all in place beforehand. In other words prep your mise en place in advance. Then call it the day.

Next time youre up to the task allow 7 hours to do it, start to finish. Then evaluate blade maybe you should thin some before you put new sparkling finish on? Theres nothing worse than being dissapointed with the first cut when you just polished youre arse off.

Do that then, the technique was explained better than I could by others.
I am not saying this job should take 7 hours you might be done after 2 but if you are under time pressure [worst pressure of them all] then you will cut corners and surely fuk it up. If one swipe takes 20 seconds then thats the way it is.

I really believe in what I written and it might sound silly but I like to prepare the assault-plan in my head before I start. Then its just to follow the plan, and have enough time to execute it!

Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The Brits were on to something with that one methinks...

Back