Polishing knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ben, another Seattleite here. Locked down in my house like the rest of us.

E39199D4-C2D9-487B-8829-6D9DC352C0B7.jpeg
5984A60D-5A1F-4E0B-99CB-76789DA50EBF.jpeg
7E10121E-7842-4885-95E7-064ACBB9B36F.jpeg
5984A60D-5A1F-4E0B-99CB-76789DA50EBF.jpeg
7E10121E-7842-4885-95E7-064ACBB9B36F.jpeg
I’ll attempt to upload a video of my machine running but we’ll see. If I can’t get it to work I’ll post pictures. Apparently the 20second video file was too large. Here are some pictures. Calling all knife makers, what do I call this thing?

Sorry for the duplicate picture, I hit the same one twice. You can change the length of the throw for different lengths of knives by moving the arm on the wheel either closer to center or farther out to the edge of the wheel. The parts are almost all from a treadmill. The knife table is magnetic and works great for holding down carbon steel knives. This machine saves me hours of sanding. You still need to give attention to trouble areas with the machine stopped.

@gregfisk um...can I ask you to make some items for me....? :D

I don't really do high polishes or high grit sanding, but I did today to make sure I still could, and reveal the hamon
This is a 1084 forged knife to 9 micron.

It took about 10 mins per side coming off the belt grinder at 320 grit.

High alloy steels like Z-wear PM, well that's another story.....
on your machine, which is very cool btw, you would be replacing the sandpaper every few minutes.

Simple carbon steels and AEB-L are pretty "easy" to polish compared to the difficult steels.

1apGMXO.jpg

Last edited:
Gotcha thank you. Im still learning to judge finish levels by eye and teaching myself to translate from micron to JIS grit. For some reason I thought 9 micron was finer than that. Hazards of coming from the wood world where 220 is "fine"

@gregfisk um...can I ask you to make some items for me....? :D

I don't really do high polishes or high grit sanding, but I did today to make sure I still could, and reveal the hamon
This is a 1084 forged knife to 9 micron.

It took about 10 mins per side coming off the belt grinder at 320 grit.

High alloy steels like Z-wear PM, well that's another story.....
on your machine, which is very cool btw, you would be replacing the sandpaper every few minutes.

Simple carbon steels and AEB-L are pretty "easy" to polish compared to the difficult steels.

1apGMXO.jpg
I really like your knife! I do go through the sandpaper but I can really make progress without near as much effort. I still have a lot to learn about finishing my knives but this machine really helps me. Let me know what your wanting made. I really enjoy making stuff.

Mirror on honyaki is hardcore.
If I had to do the job, I would do it only with buffer wheel and try to keep in mind that scratches- even large are not such a big problem.
A buffing wheel will give the metal a soft look, and if you are not careful you can overheat the metal. It polishes without actually flattening the surface. That is why sword polishers only use stones.

A buffing wheel will give the metal a soft look, and if you are not careful you can overheat the metal. It polishes without actually flattening the surface... That is why sword polishers only use stones.
mirror with stones is cool but on such a large and hard surface. Not sure many would take the time to do it.

Last edited:
100% doable, but at some point you will get into polishing paste territory and that means some kind of high rpm to make it efficient. It can be done by hand, but takes days. No one can actually do this 8 hours straight.
I do

My method for mirror polishing is sanding up to 2500 grit with sandpaper, alternating directions with each grit.. then I start with diamonds.. 6m 3m 1m. It usually takes about 6-8hrs per side, granted everything goes according the plan....
Here's a video of some recent work.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9CY3YLnZqq/?igshid=w4kzdan45js3
Before the extra work.. I made sure to have light reflections to show that mirrored is still scratchy, no matter what.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0PJhiFHmc7/?igshid=1pzwkmtd31r7p

Last edited:
View attachment 74844 View attachment 74845 View attachment 74846 View attachment 74844 View attachment 74844 View attachment 74845 View attachment 74846 I’ll attempt to upload a video of my machine running but we’ll see. If I can’t get it to work I’ll post pictures. Apparently the 20second video file was too large. Here are some pictures. Calling all knife makers, what do I call this thing?
I've seen people build these for sanding before.. they weren't able to get a patent because it's essentially the same as a motorized sex toy...

I've seen people build these for sanding before.. they weren't able to get a patent because it's essentially the same as a motorized sex toy...
Wow, I have never seen one of these machines before. I got the idea from something else that I saw that had a different purpose. When I first thought of it I went on YouTube but couldn’t find anything and I looked several times. If you remember where you saw one let me know. I have no intention of trying to get a patent, I posted here because I thought someone else might like to make one. You made me laugh regarding the sex toy, I actually have seen what you’re talking about. Maybe that’s where I got the idea .

Wow, I have never seen one of these machines before. I got the idea from something else that I saw that had a different purpose. When I first thought of it I went on YouTube but couldn’t find anything and I looked several times. If you remember where you saw one let me know. I have no intention of trying to get a patent, I posted here because I thought someone else might like to make one. You made me laugh regarding the sex toy, I actually have seen what you’re talking about. Maybe that’s where I got the idea .
I'm glad you saw the humour.. I know it was a knifemaker in Australia.. if I remember who it was, I'll post it here

Back