Pro Kitchen Work Horse Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M,

I'll send you my TKC to try when I send yours back from my trial. I have had a lot of knives, and I go back to that baby every time. You can send it back to me with the Shigies.

My first J-knife was a masamoto VC, but it was just a bit too reactive for an all rounder. Now I use a 300mm Hiromoto AS Gyuto mostly, I thinned it a bit and it is already quite thin behind the edge, I like the height of the knife and the flat edge profile, though it is not actually flat for more than a half inch, the slow upsweep to the tip is nearly perfect. My second choice is a 270 TKC, but it just feels a bit small most of the time.

Drew

I Love my Hattorii HF - VG-10 240mm. its a little shorter at the heel now as ive taken a bit of the blade down with sharpening but its profile is awesome and i thinned one side so it sharpens to a solid 90/10. the edge stays toothy and it really blows through knife prep for me. I wish it didnt flex so much at the tip but i dont notice it so much anymore after 4 years of ownership.

My Konosuke HD is close behind, i wish i had the 270 (actually probably 260ish) and not the 240 i bought (actually a 230ish) I just need to find the right angle and grit combination to really bring the steel out and get that toothy sharp work grind i like. But both knives haul through a work day for me

My Konosuke HD is close behind, i wish i had the 270 (actually probably 260ish) and not the 240 i bought (actually a 230ish) I just need to find the right angle and grit combination to really bring the steel out and get that toothy sharp work grind i like. But both knives haul through a work day for me

If you like tooth, sharpen on a 400-600 grit stone, deburr, then lightly finish on a 6k-8k to refine the edge a bit and remove any remaining wire edge. You can strop afterwards too, but it should be something in the 1-2 micron grit range, any less wont really accomplish much. If you like toothy then this should work great for ya.

If you like tooth, sharpen on a 400-600 grit stone, deburr, then lightly finish on a 6k-8k to refine the edge a bit and remove any remaining wire edge. You can strop afterwards too, but it should be something in the 1-2 micron grit range, any less wont really accomplish much. If you like toothy then this should work great for ya.

+1 to this. I usually go 1.2k King to the Kitayama though, but super great toothy refined combo

Right now I'm using a thinned Kikuichi 240 Carbon Elite gyuto, Yoshihiro 240 wa handled, Misono Swedish 240 suji, Kikuichi VG10 honesuki, and a Mac chef series filet/boning knife. I keep them touched up at work with a Mac ceramic steel. I'm a big fan of the Kikuichi and the Yoshihiro. I've probably been using the Yoshi a bit more of late than the Kikuichi, but they've both been excellent performers. The Kikuichi has been in my work kit for the better part of two and a half years which is saying something. The Misono is my only short suji. It replaced another 270 carbon, but it's a better fit for my workspace. I'd happily add one of their 270 or 300 sujis to my batterie. I have nicer knives but I generally prefer less expensive ones in my work kit, that way if anything might happen to any of them, I wouldn't be (completely) heartbroken.

+1 to this. I usually go 1.2k King to the Kitayama though, but super great toothy refined combo

Thanks for both the recomendations, I went with my Choseras, 700 to get a burr, quick deburr then a quick pass on the 2k to bring it a little more refined but only maybee 3 passes on each side, focusing on being smooth with my strokes and progressive along the edge as i went from heel to tip. I also changed my angle which i think has been my problem for a bit. I was going shallow, probably 15 degrees or 16, but i move to 18.5 degrees and the steel seemed to be more reactive to the stone combo. (i use an EP and an angle cube so my measurements are exact) felt good during prep time today, still not my favorite knife, that has more to do with geo, but if i can get the edge more to my liking it will take some of the lesser prep days away from the hattorri.

-J

Back