Project Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaaa I need to call ask how to attach the photo in the forum. Lol

A blue2 honyaki kiritsuke that sold at the Sydney knife show , only picture I have is a courtesy of a fellow maker who snapped this picture
View attachment 33087
Handle is mallee burl , musk ox horn ferrule and end cap , walrus Ivory and copper spacers

A masamoto ks profile honyaki I made while ago ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1474688070.201250.jpg

Mert, I would love to see a picture of the whole table from the SKS:knife:

Bill , I was so sleep deprived I forgot the memory card of my camera with me , and didn't even take any with my cell phone . I have few bad quality videos but no picture of the table

210mm Damascus wa-gyuto , handle is octagonal brown mallee burl and copper spacer
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1475417029.671601.jpg

240mm wa gyuto forged from 52100 , handle is octagonal ebony and nickel spacer
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1475417185.957119.jpg

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1475417214.660911.jpg

On the 210 have you cut the one piece of burl, added the spacer and then re attached with the grain lined back up? Crazy nice Damascus pattern!

On the 210 have you cut the one piece of burl, added the spacer and then re attached with the grain lined back up? Crazy nice Damascus pattern!

Yes Bill , I have used the same burl for the ferrule and handle it self , it was a very nice piece

Love that mallee. Is it from thremallee root? They are a pain to chop, so I'm guessing not much fun to sand?

What steel is the blade?

It is from the mallee root , it sands off very nicely although creates a bit of dust . Blade is 1084/15n20

Busy guy! Lovely looking work as usual! :doublethumbsup:

You aussies have some awesome woods out there for handles too. Do you stabilize the burls yourself, buy stabilized, or they hard and oily enough to use without stabilization?

It is from the mallee root , it sands off very nicely although creates a bit of dust . Blade is 1084/15n20

I love that the mallee handles are quite different from each other. I guess you could say they are individual. I guess it's so difficult to chop because of the multi-directional grain. Probably what gives it the individual and beautiful patterns.

Do you cryo these (roughly eutectoid) steels?

I love that the mallee handles are quite different from each other. I guess you could say they are individual. I guess it's so difficult to chop because of the multi-directional grain. Probably what gives it the individual and beautiful patterns.

Do you cryo these (roughly eutectoid) steels?

I haven't used cryo at the time , gotten the set up not too long ago .
Mallee is definitely very unique, I can't stop buying it [emoji38]

I was going to say "cool" but it sounded too much like a bad pun. I'm interested to know how the cryo goes.

I hope the bushfires up that way are not too close.

Thanks PHIL , sadly the bushfire is too close to some of my staffs homes, some were among the volunteers helping to get it under control

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1480339190.270538.jpg
275mm San mai Damascus integral Gyuto for Ferry, 22 layer hard cladding on each side , hitachi blue 2 core , it will have the same grind like my personal workhorse gyuto

Back