Project Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am feeling bit blue
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1498003571.008767.jpg
[emoji12] thin grind blue2 honyaki

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1498181282.672816.jpg
Old growth redwood burl from burl source , now decisions decisions, what kind of blade it should go with ... any suggestions? Integral Damascus ? Sg2 Damascus San mai , honyaki ??

View attachment 36113
Old growth redwood burl from burl source , now decisions decisions, what kind of blade it should go with ... any suggestions? Integral Damascus ? Sg2 Damascus San mai , honyaki ??

That's gorgeous... my personal preference says honyaki because damascus with that burl seems over busy. On the other hand, sometimes it's nice to go totally over the top!

That's gorgeous... my personal preference says honyaki because damascus with that burl seems over busy. On the other hand, sometimes it's nice to go totally over the top!

It will go with a simple yet elegant blade , thanks for the feedback

Honyaki B#2 mirror polished only below the hamon and integral alla bill burke. The handle may benifit from a single mosaic pin, paired with a beautiful dark wood saya, pin to be made of mosaic pin and handle scraps(potentially slightly oversized to show off the wood) The blade would be pure adult entertainment. If it gets damascus it needs river of fire or low layer count Turkish twist, something with some vertical and horizonatal movement and is bold enough to play with that wood. If damascus was used I'd add make the handle 3 piece alla micheal rader with musk or walrus horn as the middle spacer and use the redwood as my main piece and end cap. Saya could remain unchanged but no mosaic pin in the handle and pin would be replaced with horn material selected. 11/10 both blades would be unicorns.

Honyaki B#2 mirror polished only below the hamon and integral alla bill burke. The handle may benifit from a single mosaic pin, paired with a beautiful dark wood saya, pin to be made of mosaic pin and handle scraps(potentially slightly oversized to show off the wood) The blade would be pure adult entertainment. If it gets damascus it needs river of fire or low layer count Turkish twist, something with some vertical and horizonatal movement and is bold enough to play with that wood. If damascus was used I'd add make the handle 3 piece alla micheal rader with musk or walrus horn as the middle spacer and use the redwood as my main piece and end cap. Saya could remain unchanged but no mosaic pin in the handle and pin would be replaced with horn material selected. 11/10 both blades would be unicorns.

That would be something [emoji23] however blue round stock is not easy to get to make integrals and I have abandoned the multi piece western handles . I will put this idea aside to work after the Sydney knife show , liked the idea of the Turkish Twist , maybe a multi bar !

Lost my $8 victorinox paring knife at work, decided to use this one instead. . It was a tester I forged from takefu sg2 ( aka r2) while ago , I guess it will do
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1498779524.504391.jpg

An R2 parer... that thing will be sharp forever 😀😀...

As for the turkish twist damascus.... I am always happy to be your guinea pig.... payment though may be an issue for that piece.. you don't happen to need a kidney? 😂😂😂🔪

Something simple yet I find them quite satisfying, Aebl gyuto with ebony and nickel spacer
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1499299703.223867.jpg

Mert, are you going to be making more and putting them up for sale

I am trying to catch up with the custom orders , I will put up what's left after the Sydney show

Mert, is the cladding stainless? Which steel?

Which acid do you use in the etch?

Obviously don't feel compelled to reveal any trade secrets.

Mert, is the cladding stainless? Which steel?

Which acid do you use in the etch?

Obviously don't feel compelled to reveal any trade secrets.

Phil , the steel is takefu vtoku, stainless clad . Very similar to hitachis blue . I etch it in diluted solution of ferric chloride

Back