Question about an Ebay user

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was perusing Ebay earlier today and I ran across this guy selling a mix of older fixer-upper japanese knives and natural stones for almost suspiciously decent prices. The username is happpu2015. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with him, as some of it seems a little too good to be true. Plus I'm not good at reading kanji or identifying knives from photos. I linked his store below. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=happpu2015&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

Cheers,
Todd

I've been following him for a while, but haven't bought anything yet. I believe he's legit. His knives are mostly really old and pretty beat up. He does have tons of photos, though, so you know exactly what you're getting. Some of these could make really good project knives, but there would be a ton of work in getting one into shape.

His pics look like actual pics taken by a seller, there's consistency on how he frames & lights. I personally feel it's legitimate.

Thanks guys, kinda where my thoughts were leaning towards. Not really looking for a project knife at the moment, but maybe someday when I have more time. He's got a bit of an eclectic mix of stones, but I definitely always source my natural stones from a reputable dealer. Not worth the risk, in my opinion given the money involved, and its reassuring to be certain of the quality.

I'd be prepared to take a punt on a second hand knife but the stones aren't especially well priced. My phone is automatically converting to $NZD but NZ588 for an Aizu is steep. Ditto $NZ488 for Iyoto

Wonder if there is photographic distortion or straightness/profile issues on the usubas...

I agree Badger, the stones aren't really better priced than those form JKI/JNS/K&S etc, and when you consider that with those dealers you know what you're buying its really a no brainer.

As for the usubas, its difficult to tell, but I imagine its the photos and lighting. At least I would hope so, otherwise that requires some serious work.

Disclaimer: I am not an usuba expert just stating impressions

Yep, difficult to tell if the bust shinogi tells of

a) non-orthodox profile fixing and/or intentionally choosing another blade angle gradient - making the knife, I guess, workable if you really pay attention sharpening. If the profile fixing was needed because of a bent/warped blade... well, I could then get a cheap new usuba and fight the same problems :)

or

b) of somebody not caring about the profile. From my limited experience, any "smile" that will, after deburring, no longer hold a piece of cig paper in place - that is a few ten micrometers!! - drives you mad with accordioning.... Could be made into a), but probably best overhauled by someone like Dave...

I've bought several knives from happu2015, mostly relatively inexpensive pieces. I've always gotten what I expected and I am happy with all of them. Good pictures; good communication. Shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah those honyaki are intriguing to be sure. Good to hear someone has had positive experiences with this guy. Might be worth keeping an eye on his stuff then.

Back