Question about edge sharpness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from reading the thread I think your main concern is edge retention and it's ability to be touched up because you seem apprehensive about sharpening yourself.. If you are considering shun I'd look into Suisin Inox myself. I've heard good things for the $$. JKI, Korin and CKTG all carry them so I don't think they are something to disregard.

:2cents:

Initially it was about the edge. Which steel might give me give me the sharpest edge and retain it longer. But thinking it over it's not the case any more. It's more about how the knife will perform in my hand. Does it fit my criteria? Since I believe now that any possible difference between high quality steels (e.g. Takeda blue #1 vs Tojiro/Shun VG10) and their ability to gain a degree or two of sharpness over another is immaterial for a "home cook". I believe any VG10 knife will provide more than enough sharpness and retain the edge "long enough" for me.

Can a "home cook" spot the difference in performance between two knives? I'd hope so. Though, in certain cases it can be more subtle. Similar designed knives for example.

Will look into a Susin Inox too. In addition to my 2 other choices (Tojiro DP & Shun Premiers). Thanks.

...and I definitely DO plan to maintain my new knives the best I can (e.g. don't leave them wet, hone/sharpen them myself or get an expert to do it for me). So NO I wouldn't be satisfied with OOTB sharpness. Why would any one who is considering a Japanese knife? :) A "throw away" supermarket generic brand knife perhaps.

Or if the concern is just ease of sharpening and getting the best edge immediately (and not worrying about it lasting forever), try a white steel like the Tad or many others. This really comes down to a question of immediate enjoyment vs. something that lasts longer in the kitchen. Hard to say what you value.

Your first question was "Would you say getting the "sharpest kitchen knife" money can buy is more about how the knife was sharpened and to what degree than it is about the type of steel used...?"

Your most recent "conclusion" is, "I think in the end it comes down to your application, how well you maintain (or intend to) your knives and knife skills. For some one that only preps for himself ... I think most $100-200 chef's/gyuto ... will suffice and... That after the knives have been sharpened properly to a degree of sharpness the "typical" home cook won't know the difference ... even if they had a $100 Tojiro or $700 Hinoura."

You first wanted to know what steel or knife gives you the sharpest edge. But, now you're fine with an OOTB edge? I'm confused as to what you're trying to get at.

But, before continuing this thread, you should really ask yourself, "Do I want a sharp knife, or a good performing knife?" because sharpness doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with performance. And, if you want a good performing knife, read some of the numerous threads about knife geometry and knife performance that have been discussed here.

If this is the same BDD as here: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/70615/hi-end-japanese-knives
he's a bit of a troll. If I knew it was the same guy I never would've bothered posting on this thread. He makes conclusions without even having used the knives and asks questions he really doesn't want answers to. Trying to be helpful, everyone is chasing their tail sharing their expertise. What I know about Japanese knives could fill a thimble, but I do know a troll when I see one.

JMHO

I've been sensing something was off but didn't want to accuse just based on a feeling.

-AJ

If this is the same BDD as here: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/70615/hi-end-japanese-knives
he's a bit of a troll. If I knew it was the same guy I never would've bothered posting on this thread. He makes conclusions without even having used the knives and asks questions he really doesn't want answers to. Trying to be helpful, everyone is chasing their tail sharing their expertise. What I know about Japanese knives could fill a thimble, but I do know a troll when I see one.

JMHO

+1

JMHO

Kind of a troll??? Geez. If he is the same guy that started that thread, this thread should end.

He also started a thread here previously that covers a lot of the same things in this thread - Shun Premiers v. Shun Reserves.

Eh, I think he's just indecisive and a bit of a bull$H|++er. I can relate.

Eh, I think he's just indecisive and a bit of a bull$H|++er. I can relate.

I'm thinking an immature guy who wants to get into Japanese knives but may never actually do it. His trolling is unintentional and harmless but he's an immature PITA.

I didn't know you back then, but you're past that phase, Eamon. :)

Well, regardless, i thought that it was an interesting discussion. I came away from it with some new things to think about and better articulation of my own ideas.

lol reading that other thread and this one I think he figured he would have had a similar ending. Good thread other wise. A lot of great points, and some worth thinking about.

Back