Question about flattening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opted for the ezeelap 250 instead of the 140. The 140 is a good 20€ more expensive and leaves deeper scratches in the stone being flattened which I don't like. Rather save a little money and use a little longer on the diamond. Since the 250 is a bit finer, it's quite easy removing the scratches it leaves in stones above 1k, below 1k no real need.

I have tried using sandpaper but I really hated it:(,leaves a mess and not as practical as having a dm-plate ready at hand:)

Cheers

FWIW. When I originally said I had decided to get an Atoma plate and that it was worth it (totally worth it I might add), I wasn’t implying that Atoma plates are the only good diamond plates, just that it worked for me – and it worked a hell of a lot better than all other kinds of flattening devices I’ve tried. I got an Atoma plate because that was what I could get in Denmark where I happen to live (Maksim at JNS has them)

As to the question of Atoma plates leaving deep scratches in your stones (I guess we are talking the 140 grit which is the one I have), well, yes they do, but for me that is not a big concern – it does not really interfere with your sharpening, albeit it may mean that the stone will leave an edge with a bit more bite (says Jon, somewhere which I cannot find right now).

yeah... on synthetic stones, scratches on the surface help the stone hold water better, provide better tactile feedback, faster cutting speed. However, polish is effected by this kind of surface conditioning (not that i care that much, but its important to note).

If you are using sandpaper something I like to use with it is a Granite surface plate..I already had a surface plate for other shop work but they are heavy, very flat and inexpensive..They also work well for the "scary sharp" method that I use to use on chisels and plane irons..Of course if you have waterstones to flatten you don't need the scary sharp method but I thought Id throw that in there:biggrin:
I talked to a gentleman that used the 3M diamond plate and he said he liked it better than the DMT or Atoma..

Back