Quick Market Research on Stock Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the fact that knives are offerend through a mailing list (and on the website). Like in my situation now, I would like to buy one of your knives. I would be happy to buy one with a standard geometry and grind. If there is a list of a few different wood/ferrule combinations I am sure I will be very happy with the stock handle options as well. What is annoying is not knowing how long it will take before I am able to place my order... I travel a lot with work and if I am away when you offer a new batch of knives I might not notice relevant pieces are gone.

I totally understand your need to streamline workflow and limit the time discussing needs and options with every customer - assuming the major time saver for you is being able to make batches of identical blades and limit the time discussing options through email. I would love to be able to put in an order though.

Ideally there would be no customization possible to the blade but a few options for the handle. Even better would be if a large number of handle-options were available, with a basic choice included in the price and more expensive options available with the extra cost listed as a (+$xx) behind the description. Rare / hard to find options would be for custom knives only. Etc... Would that be possible?

I don't like the fact that knives are offerend through a mailing list (and on the website). Like in my situation now, I would like to buy one of your knives. I would be happy to buy one with a standard geometry and grind. If there is a list of a few different wood/ferrule combinations I am sure I will be very happy with the stock handle options as well. What is annoying is not knowing how long it will take before I am able to place my order... I travel a lot with work and if I am away when you offer a new batch of knives I might not notice relevant pieces are gone.

I totally understand your need to streamline workflow and limit the time discussing needs and options with every customer - assuming the major time saver for you is being able to make batches of identical blades and limit the time discussing options through email. I would love to be able to put in an order though.

Ideally there would be no customization possible to the blade but a few options for the handle. Even better would be if a large number of handle-options were available, with a basic choice included in the price and more expensive options available with the extra cost listed as a (+$xx) behind the description. Rare / hard to find options would be for custom knives only. Etc... Would that be possible?

I suppose, you can consider a custom order then. I will resume taking custom orders tomorrow; there is a form on the my site under Custom tab that you can fill out to get on a waiting list.

I decided to offer stock knives because I would like to keep my knives relatively affordable and that can be achieved by improving my efficiency - make multiples of knives of the same type and length, cut down on guess work, etc.

There is no fixed schedule when stock knives will be available - I will make them along the customs, but only when I don't have multiple of customs in that type or length (quite often the case). That's one caveat.

Another, even though I will try to match people's preference to knives I make as close as possible, and to notify those (as a group) interested in a particular type and length when this type and length is available, this would be an extent I am willing to do. Anything beyond that would be a custom.

Current choices of handle material reflect what I have on hand. I will add more choices as they become available.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

M

Survey filled out! I noticed you have options on there for things like endcaps and spacer materials--is this something you're planning on offering for stock knives or is more of just a probe to see if that sort of thing would even be feasible in the first place?

Survey filled out! I noticed you have options on there for things like endcaps and spacer materials--is this something you're planning on offering for stock knives or is more of just a probe to see if that sort of thing would even be feasible in the first place?

I have always made handles with spacers, but never with a metal endcap, and only recently I made one with a metal tip.

There seems to be interest in these, so I am going to offer these features as a choice, as well as I am going to offer a taper at the ferrule on an octagonal handle - a neat feature, if you alternate between a handle grip and a pinch grip.

For purists, a traditional octagonal handle - wood, spacer, and horn ferrule combination will continue to be available for as long as I am making them. :)

M

Your survey is a great way to figure things out Marko.

Im a production knife kind of guy. I think I just created a stealthy looking knife from your options.

Also just a thought , would you offer any with western style handles as well. I know there are a lot of wa-handle lovers out there, but there are folks who just don't like the feel of them.

Food for thought.

eto

Your survey is a great way to figure things out Marko.

Im a production knife kind of guy. I think I just created a stealthy looking knife from your options.

Also just a thought , would you offer any with western style handles as well. I know there are a lot of wa-handle lovers out there, but there are folks who just don't like the feel of them.

Food for thought.

eto

You hit a nail right on a head.

My dabbling into a a Western handle is still in an early stage, but I hope to have a prototype to take with me to ECG.

It is going to feature a peened SS bolster, curvy (Coca-Cola bottle) shape, and a full tang. Design has been influenced by Bill Burke, Devin Thomas, and Bob Kramer.

M

You hit a nail right on a head.

My dabbling into a a Western handle is still in an early stage, but I hope to have a prototype for ECG. It is going to feature a peened SS bolster, curvy (Coca-Cola bottle) shape, and most a full tang. Design influenced by Bill Burke, Devin Thomas, and Bob Kramer.

M

There you go. A man with a plan. Good to see your ahead of the game. Keep it up Marko.

Marko,

I'm a bit late , but I did submit the survey. I applaud your creativity and enthusiasm.

Back