racks and racks of lamb

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakuda

Reaction score
You are slicing roasted racks of lamb into individual chops when the orders need to be pickedup. Whats your go-to knife in this space-limited situation?

1714425615197.png

(but seriously, depending on how cramped it is I'd probably use a 180 - 210 slicer/petty, but a plain old boning knife would probably be fine)

Munetoshi 210 suji seems kinda perfect for this? Very robust steel and grind if you accidentally hit a bone, one of my top cooked-meat-cutting grinds due to nice convexity. Small enough to be versatile.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-sujihiki-210mm/

Will tap in @M1k3 for professional verification
I'd probably lean towards the Munetoshi butcher. Or 180-210ish Suji or Petty.

But if the racks bones aren't trimmed fully, having to go through bone, my first choice would be a smaller bone cleaver. Second choice something like a Mercer Millennia. Use a honing rod, like an F. Dick diamond rod, during your shift. Few passes on a 500-1k sharpening stone after shift.

thanks for the opinions all. So far I've been doing okay with a 180mm ashi aebl gyuto but always good to see what other professionals do. As always, I need to work on my technique more.

I usually am in the same camp as above. 210 Suji, Honesuki, or Munetoshi Butcher.

Always wanted a Hankotsu, but never use the dagger grip.

Back