Recipe contest-cool prize

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Del:

Here is my first entry, a great recipe for you that I've been using to feed friends and family for years. I dare you to stop eating it, you can't! It's very economical, uses common ingredients, is fast and simple to prepare in one pot, nutritious and soul-satisfying.

(This feeds four very hungry adults. I figure it should feed your wife, 4 girls and yourself, perhaps with a salad and garlic bread. If you want more, simply multiply it x1.5)

Homemade Italian Hamburger Helper (30 minutes to prepare and cook)

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
4 tbsp. oil
1 large onion, medium diced
4 celery stalks, medium diced
2 green peppers, medium diced
2 medium zucchini, medium diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. Italian mixed herbs
1 tsp. chili flakes or hot sauce to taste
1 lb. macaroni, whole wheat if you prefer
2-28oz cans plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
water, beef or chicken broth
salt to taste
grated parmesan cheese

On high heat, In a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, brown ground beef or turkey.

Turn down to medium and add oil, onions, celery, green peppers, zucchini, garlic, Italian herbs and chili flakes or hot sauce to taste. Saute for 2-3 minutes.

Turn down to low-medium heat and add macaroni, crushed tomatoes and enough water or broth to just cover everything.

Simmer covered for 12-15 minutes until macaroni is cooked to desired doneness, STIRRING OFTEN to prevent sticking.

Salt to taste, top with parmesan cheese and ENJOY!!!

Del:

Here is my recipe #2

Feeds 6 adults, with some leftover chicken for a few sandwiches

Louisiana Roasted Chicken and Potatoes (10 minutes prep time, 75 minutes cooking time)

Special equipment: Roasting pan with rack, pastry brush

2x3.5-4 lb. whole chickens
1 cup Louisiana style hot sauce
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
juice of 1 fresh lime
6 medium Yukon Gold or other yellow flesh potatoes, 1/2" sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Mix hot sauce, butter, poultry seasoning, salt and lime juice to make basting liquid for chickens

Lightly oil roasting pan and layer potatoes in it, cover with rack, place chickens on rack breast side up, baste and put in oven (if you don't have a rack, you can place chickens directly on layered potatoes)

Roast chicken for 25 minutes, basting twice

Remove roasting pan from oven, carefully rotate chickens to breast down position on rack and put back in oven to roast for 25 more minutes, basting twice

One last time, remove roasting pan from oven and rotate chickens back to breast up position, put back in oven and roast for final 25 minutes, basting twice

Remove chickens and potatoes from oven, cut into chicken leg to ensure doneness (juices should run clear not bloody, if not return to oven for 15 or so more minutes)

Cut chickens into 10 pc cut (standard 8 pc cut + breast divided in two), serve with potatoes and your favorite vegetable or salad on the side.

A few words: You would think that basting with hot sauce results in a spicy bird, however roasting mellows the hot sauce tremendously, leaving just incredible flavor. Also, the technique of rotating the chickens is important for even cooking and crisping the skin all over. I can't believe that more cooks don't do it. You can also use this method with your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey with great results and shorter cooking time! The potatoes are amazing with all that fat and basting liquid that has dripped off the chickens. You can take the skin off any remaining chicken, shred into small pieces and make the best chicken & mayo sandwiches ever.

cnochef, I noticed you put up a Louisiana recipe. Are you one of those Acadians that settled in Canada?

k.

No, I'm a Canadian that loves Creole and Cajun food immensely and travels to Louisiana regularly to indulge. In fact, I love all of the foods of the South including BBQ, soul food, Low Country cooking and so on.

Del:

Here is my final recipe for your consideration.

This one was inspired by the Ukrainian people who emigrated to the Canadian prairies at the beginning of the 20th century, bringing with them those wonderful Eastern European food traditions.

Feeds 6

Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole (30 minutes prep time)

3 cups long grain or basmati rice, steamed according to manufacturer's instructions (you can do the rest of the prep while waiting for the rice to cook)
1 lb. lean ground pork
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1 large onion, medium diced
oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 sm. head of cabbage, cored and julienned
1-28oz can plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
1 sm. jar store-bought sauerkraut
1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
sour cream

In a skillet or saute pan on high heat, brown ground pork and then turn down to low to keep warm

In a separate large dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat, begin by rendering fat from bacon

Add onions and saute until translucent, 2-3 minutes (you can add some oil if there isn't quite enough bacon fat in the pan)

Then add garlic and cabbage, saute until cabbage is soft and translucent, about 8-10 minutes

Add tomatoes and sauerkraut and mix until everything is hot

Finish by adding cooked rice, browned ground pork and fresh dill

Divide onto plates, pass the sour cream and enjoy!

(you shouldn't need to add any salt to this recipe due to the bacon and sauerkraut having enough)

Meatloaf

1lb ground beef 80/20
3/4 cup oats
4 onions sliced
2 eggs
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
14 slices of bacon
1 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp salted butter
Ketchup

The trick with this meatloaf is the onions. The deeper and richer the fond, the better the Meatloaf. Medium heat. Melt the butter in a dutch oven and add the onions. You're going carmelize the onions. What you want is a deep rich brown color. let the onions sit and fond up the pan. and deglaze with water. Repeat 5-6 times Let cool. I know this can take a couple of hours but its worth it.

Preheat oven to 400.

Take 7 slices of bacon and lay them vertically next to each other on your work surface, then take away alternating slices so your left with 4. Put down a horizontal slice. Return the 3 other vertical slices to their original places. Weave in remaining 6 slices.

In a bowl mix oatmeal, tomato sauce, eggs pepper and sauteed onions with ground beef.

Shape meat mixture into a loaf.

Place loaf on bacon weave and roll it up.

Place loaf on cool lined cookie sheet.

Smear ketchup on top.

Cook for 50-70 min until internal temp is 160.

Rest for 20 min then cut into slices and serve.

Hi Del, Here is an italian-american one pot dish that I think will be right up your alley (from what I gathered from your comments). It is adapted from Williams-Sonoma Outdoors Series, Cabin Cooking, by Tori Ritchie (Time-Life Books, 1998). For some reason I also like the idea of Cabin Cooking when I think of you.

Extra-Crusty Baked Rigatoni with Beef Ragù

img59l.jpg

Few meals are as comforting as a pan of baked pasta. Using rigatoni large ridged tubes gives you the pleasure of lasagna with less work.

Ingredients

1 lb. rigatoni
2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more as needed
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1 large can (28 oz.) peeled and chopped tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream
Salt to taste
1/2 lb. whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup grated Parmesan or aged Asiago cheese

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350ºF.

Bring a large pot two-thirds full of salted water to a boil. Add the rigatoni, stir well and cook until al dente (tender but firm to the bite), about 15 minutes or according to the package instructions. Drain the rigatoni, place in a large bowl and toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.

In the same pot, heat the 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Drain off any fat. Add the parsley, oregano and tomatoes and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the tomatoes break down and the flavors have melded, about 20 minutes. Stir in the cream, raise the heat and return to a boil. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Return the rigatoni to the pot with the sauce and toss to coat well.

Oil the bottom of a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Spread half of the pasta mixture in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Top with the remaining pasta, the remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan. Bake until the sauce is bubbly and the top is crusty and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for about 5 minutes and serve.

Serves 6.

This is ore of an approach than a recipe. The vegetables can be varied depending on what is on hand, the roasting brings out the best in a remarkably wide range of veggies.

Enough chicken parts for the group, potatoes, any veggie, probably hard ones are best.
A handful of garlic, olive oil, herbs, salt to taste.

Preheat the oven to 400-450 degrees.
Line a couple of sheet pans with parchment paper(or foil).
Marinate chicken pieces in olive oil, white wine and garlic(herbs of your choice are good)
Quarter enough potatoes for your group and toss with olive oil and chopped garlic, put them on pan skin side down.
Toss veggies with olive oil and lay on pan, herbs appropriate for the veg is good.
Lay the chicken parts on the other pan, skin side up, drizzle with marinade.
Roast the whole caboodle for 45 minutes, test the chicken pieces for doneness with instant read thermometer or pierce with pointy thing to look for clear juices.
The potatoes will be browned and puffy, the veggies will be caramalized on the bottom.
Different meats can be used, get a big enough chunk that it will be done in the time frame.
I usually use broccoli to cauliflower for this, green beans work well, anything really.
Coarsely chopped onions are a good addition.

:knife:Beef Goulash:viking:

Ingredients:

2.5 lbs, eye of round or flank steak(trimmed of silver skin!)
2 onions, white, large. julianned.
1 teaspoon salt
2.5 tablespoons of paprika
4 tablespoons flour
20 ounces of tomato, diced(canned if you want!)
2.5 cups beef stock
1 cup sour cream

1. Add clarified butter or an oil of your choice, enough to coat the bottom of the pan.

2. Sear the beef in a few different sessions saving the fat if need be on the side.

3. remove all of the beef from the pot.

4. Add in your onions, there should be enough residual fat left in the pot, add more if need be.

5. Caramelize till dark brown.

6. Add back in your cubed beef, and stir in paprika and salt, and cover the pot with a lid. on VERY low hear let cook for 1 hour 15 minutes stirring every 15 minutes.

7. stir in four, and the fat on the side, cook this mixture(roux) untill dark brown(10-13 mins).

8. add in your tomatoes, and beef broth.

9. Simmer for 1 more hour.

10. Serve over your choice of noodles or spaetzle(spelling?)

Here is a recipe Del, for Salmon en Croute. Its a much easier recipe then it sounds, and it tastes amazing! Its one I copied, but I love it!

Ingredients
For the salmon en croute
Approx 10g bunch of basil
Approx 5g bunch dill
60g unsalted butter at room temperature
Zest of 1 lemon
1 x approx 1kg side of salmon, skinned, pin boned and cut in half
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Plain flour, to dust
500g shortcrust pastry
1 x egg
Olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
For the new potatoes
750g small new potatoes
Approx 10g bunch basil
Approx 5g bunch dill
For the broccoli
1 large head of broccoli, or 2 smaller
2 garlic cloves, peeled
Method: How to make salmon en croute with herbed new potatoes and garlic sautéed broccoli
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the pastry using the salmon as a guide size. Leave to rest in a cool place.
3. Place the softened butter in a large bowl. Use scissors to roughly chop in the dill and basil before grating in the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
4. Pat the salmon fillets dry using kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper. Spread the butter mixture over one side of the fillet and the wholegrain mustard on the other. Sandwich the two salmon fillets together, in opposite directions so that both ends are of a similar thickness.
5. Beat 1 egg to make your egg wash. Place the salmon in the centre of the pastry and brush around it with the egg wash, season with salt and pepper. Bring up the longest pastry sides, trimming as much excess away as possible, and tuck them in before folding the shorter pastry edges over to form a neat parcel. Turn the whole thing over so that the seam is sitting on the bottom, and transfer to a non-stick baking tray. Brush with egg wash over the outside. Mark the pastry using the back of a small knife to make a cross hatch. Mark again to show 4 portions. Finally season the salmon parcel with salt and pepper.
6. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
7. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for approximately 12-15 minutes in salted water, until tender. Strain into a colander and leave to drain over the pot. Drizzle with olive oil, and chop in the extra dill and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Cut the broccoli into florets, and cut any larger florets in half. Cook in a pan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.
9. Sauté the broccoli in a dry pan for a minute. Crush in the garlic and add to the broccoli with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and sauté for a further minute.
10. Remove the salmon from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Use a serrated knife to cut into 4 portions and serve alongside the sautéed broccoli and herbed potatoes.

If you're thinking of improving your baking, have a go at this easy recipe for shortcrust pastry - the starting point for perfect tarts.
Enough to line a 23cm round, fluted tin
Takes 10 minutes to make, plus chilling

Ingredients
200g plain flour, plus extra to dust
Pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
Method: How to make shortcrust pastry
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and stir in the butter. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until it resembles fine crumbs.
2. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cold water, then stir with a knife until it clumps together – add a little more water if it's dry.
3. Bring the mixture together to a rough ball. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead very briefly until you have a smooth, firm dough – do not overwork as you'll end up with tough pastry!
4. Wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes – this relaxes the gluten in the flour and stops it shrinking during cooking.

I have to say that all the recipes posted sound good to me, and I would love to make them all, however there will soon come the first cut, after all I was inspired to do this to be able to make more food that my wife would enjoy. I have read her a few of the recipes and she has expressed interest in some and not in others. I have not read all of them to her. In honor of her birthday, which falls on thanksgiving this year, I will be closing it on the 24th.
Then comes the real work for me, and I ask you to please be a little patient with me, I have to cook these and then she will evaluate them.
Thanks to all of you who have posted recipes, in an effort to help me and my family.
Del

Apple Stuffed Pork Loin
Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed Spinach, Glazed Baby Carrots
Jus Natural

2lb pork loin

For the stuffing
2-3 Granny smith apples large dice
1 spanish onion medium dice
1 small carrot medium dice
3-4 celery stalks peeled medium dice
about 3-5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
Fresh herbs Italian Parsley and maybe rosemary or sage
You can add walnuts if you like
1 tsp ground fennel seed
1/4 tspn cayenne
1/4 lb unsalted butter
1/2 cup white wine or pino grigio
Brioche Croutons I make these from pullman loaf but you can just use peperage farms croutons maybe like 4-6 cups, not sure
Chic Stock... Not sure on quantity, just enough to moisten the croutons fully.

First peel core and dice the apples and hold them in water with a squeeze of lemon juice. Saute the mir poix (celery, carrot, onion, garlic) in the butter and season however you like. When they start to soften add the apples and season with the cayenne and fennel. Saute together for a few minutes letting the flavors combine. When the apples are cooked de-glaze with the wine of your choice. Reduce and add the croutons. Now add the stock and mix till fully incorporated. Add the herbs and check the seasoning, adjust as needed. Remove and rest in fridge till cool but don't let it get completely chilled to where it is hard and un pliable.

Take the loin and use a long slicing knife to make a wide pocket the length of the loin inside without blowing through the sides. Make the pocket all the way to both sides all the way back. You can use a piping bag to squeeze the stuffing in. Now truss the loin with butchers twine. Season and place on a roasting rack and roast in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the loin and the type of oven. Remove and let it rest for about 5 min. Save the juice in the pan to make the sauce. Simply saute the pan drippings with a shallot and maybe some diced raw bacon add a touch of flour to create a roux, deglaze with brandy and add stock then simmer and season.

Vegetable prep:
Mash potatoes can be done however you usually make them if you wish. I recommend a 60/40 ratio of russet to yukon gold potatoes. I use cream and butter but you can use milk and butter to keep the cost down. Put a pot with the cream and butter on while the potatoes are cooking to heat it up. Quarter potatoes and put in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 25 minutes depending on the size. If easily crushed with a tong strain them off and place them in the oven to dry them out for at least 10 minutes at around 400 degrees. This makes them accept more milk/cream and butter making them more flavorful. Remove from oven and food mill them or simply mash them however you usually do. Fold in the blue cheese and season how you like.

Peel the baby carrots and put in a pot with cold water salt, sugar, thyme and a shallot or two sliced. Turn the heat on high. When the water starts to boil remove from heat and check. If still al dente simply leave them in the hot water until desired doneness. When done pour out into a strainer and shock the veg in an ice bath.

For service simply saute the carrots in butter and a touch of honey, then deglaze with stock and it should get nice and creamy looking now season and serve.

simply peel the spinach stalks out if they are large leaves or just buy baby spinach. Saute in a hot pan with extra virgin olive oil and butter then season.

Make sure you time it all out so things are happening all at once and when its go time all you need to do is slice the meat saute the veg and plate it up.

Simple, cheap, delicious. Enjoy!

Theory...That recipe makes me so happy...my pants got a little tighter....

Alright, I'll take a stab. This is not a fancy recipe. In fact "recipe" might be a strong word, here. No precise timings required, alright? Let your nose, tastebuds, and personal preferences guide you a bit. Doing that, it's a super easy one pot.

Went to local Kroegers for prices. I usually get ingredients off of the web in bulk (like the hominy I order off Amazon 24 packs at a time, though a different brand), which makes it cheaper. But it's wasted money doing that if you have the resulting dish. Also because I usually do buy in bulk, I've not used this exact hominy before, but it should be fine.

1 package Goya dried whole hominy (14 oz) - $1.99
2 cans whole tomatoes (approx $3) [or a few pounds fresh if they're a good price or you grow 'em. If buying fresh figure $8 in tomatoes if at a good price.]
2 pounds poblano-type chilis ($4-5)
1/2 - 1 habanero ($.25? less?)
2 cups + good chic stock (4 cups of Pacific Foods Chicken Stock $2.50-3.00)
1lb good sausage [$5?]
Butter to finish if you're so inclined.

Total Cost: $20-25 depending

1.) Rinse Dried Hominy and soak overnight.
2.) Drain hominy. If you have a pressure cooker, throw hominy in there, add water so covers inch, maybe less, add a touch of salt and cook... 15 minutes under pressure? Maybe more?
If no pressure cooker, add hominy to a big pot, fill with water, and bit of salt, bring to boil, then simmer 2 hours or so.
3.) While hominy is cooking, taste peppers. If you've got a variety of poblano that's bitter (yes, there are some poblano types that can be VERY bitter), char the skin and remove. If not, just seed peppers, slice into rings. Mince habanero. If using fresh tomatoes, small cubes. If canned, discard portion of liquid pour into bowl and break up the tomatoes by hand.
4.) Put heavy pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Drain hominy, add to pot. Add peppers and habanero to pot and give a stir. Cover pot, and let peppers soften somewhat. Maybe 5 minutes? More if you did the hominy ahead of time and it's not warm still.
5.) Add tomatoes and stock. Give a quick stir and cover. Let it go for 20-30.
6.) Heat up skillet, prick the sausage, and cook 'em up. They don't need to be fully done, but they should be nice and browned and fat should be rendered. Once done, slice them into small rounds, and add to pot. Give a quick stir, and leave pot uncovered. Cook at least 5 more minutes.
7.) Now, I like this thicker, others prefer thinner. Up to you on this one. If you want it thicker, you'll need to let this go a good while uncovered, stirring occasionally. If not, you might be close to done. Either way, feel free to check for taste, but don't salt until you're at the consistency you want.
8.) If you think it needs some extra luxuriousness, finish with a bit of butter.
9.) CRUCIAL STEP. Remove from heat and let cool for a bit if eating right away. I'll often make this the night before, as it's usually as good if not better the day after. Reheats great, freezes great, skip the sausage to make it crazy crazy healthy.

This has been a staple dish of mine during my year+ diet. I'll add the sausage for the size 2 wife, but have kept it just veggie (ignoring the stock) for myself. Something must be working as I'm down 110 pounds. Unfortunately, that also means I may not have a good grasp as to how many "normal person" servings this makes. But I figure some of the servings are children servings, so you should be good! If they need to be TEENAGER servings, though, you might want to add 50% to the hominy...

:hungry:Hearty beef stew!:spiteful:

Ok final entry before you shut it down!

This ones for those groggy winter days!

You can substitute change or modify the amount of veggies to your liking also.

2.5 Flank steaks, or 1.5lbs eye of round(trimmed and cut into cubes)

2 onions, Julianned

6 carrots, slices(Rondels)

6 celery stocks, sliced

10 red "new" potatoes, diced

2 Bell peppers(color doesnt really matter), diced

Beef broth, enough to cover(get extra and reduce it on the side before adding for more flavor)

3 oz of red wine of your choice.

Corn starch and water mixture(slurry)

parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper to taste!!!

Procedure:
1. Add in a little bit of oil/fat of your choice(Mmm peanut oil) to a mid size pot and get it to its "smoke point"

2. Sear the beef Cubes and get a nice caramelized skin on them. sear in small amounts, adding to much will just turn them grey. remove from pot.

3. Sweat veggies, if you need more oil add it in. remove from pot

4. sear potatoes, remove from pot.

5. add in red wine to deglaze, scrape sides of the pot to get as much fond(food partials) as possible!

6. reduce the wine till its almost dry.

7. add back in potatoes and broth, Simmer till about 3/4ths of the way done.

8. add in veggies and beef, and simmer until all the veggies and potatoes are cooked thoroughly.(add your seasonings and herbs now)

9. slowly Whisk in your slurry, until it hits your personal preference of viscosity.(warning the more you cook it the thicker it becomes)

10. serve steaming hot with some grilled cheeses or whatever you like with stew!!

Also if you make too much you can always eat it tomorrow!:plus1:

Oh, crap this closes tomorrow. Alright, let's see.

Lentil Soup

3 TBS olive oil
4 Carrots
1 large Onion
3 Garlic cloves (more if you like garlic like we do)
2 stalks Celery
2 cups Lentils
1 can Whole peeled tomatoes.
Any other heartier veg that needs used.
2 Cups Red wine
8 Cups good Beef stock (Pacific foods again unless you have your own.)

1.) Depends on the lentils you've got, but if using standard grocery store lentils, soak overnight or add to sauce pot, fill so there's three inches of water on top, bring to boil, cover, turn off heat, leave for 20 minutes.
2.) Small dice on onion, and celery. Carrots into rounds, garlic into slices and if you're using any other veg prep as needed.
3.) Slice up the bacon if using. We tend not to add a ton. For this much maybe 4-6 strips? If you've got a smoked bacon less, if you've got tasteless bacon, just skip it entirely. if you've got leftover parmesean rinds you can use those in place of or inaddition to the bacon.
4.) Set pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. If using bacon, add a bit of oil, and fry bacon until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towel to drain. Skip this part if not using bacon.
5.) If no bacon, add oil and onion. If using bacon, you may not need as much oil, so just add the onion. Sprinkle with a bit of salt. Fry until onion is lightly golden brown, five minutes.
6.) Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
7.) Add carrot and celery. Give a good stir, pinch more salt, and cook until veg is softened 5+ minutes or so.
8.) Add in wine and let reduce by half.
9.) Drain lentils and add to pot along with the beef stock.
10.) Poor off most of liquid from canned tomatoes. Dump into bowl and break up tomatoes. Add to pot.
11.) Cover cook 45+ minutes until lentils are cooked through.
12.) Remove cover add, half of bacon, (parmesean rinds if using) and allow to reduce. Judgement call as to how far. Check for flavor. If watery, reduce more.
13.) Once proper soupiness, remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste, and allow to cool slightly (10 minutes uncovered?) prior to serving. Remember that it will continue to cook off slightly as it cools even off heat.

I didn't realize you could enter more than once!

Here's what I had a few weeks back.

Chisholm Trail Chili
1-2 yellow onions
4-6 cloves garlic
2 lbs oxtail
corn tortillas(not chips)
Texas Beer(ok it doesn't HAVE to be Texan)
Canned chipotles in adobo(just for the adobo, you don't need to use the chipotles at all unless you like it spicy)
2 large cans fire-roasted tomatoes
chili powder of your choosing(I use green hatch powder)
smoked paprika

Cut up one or two yellow onions and 4-6 cloves of garlic finely. Put them in a stock pot on medium, and when they start to get hot, toss a little water in there, and cover it to let them steam down. After they cook through, take the lid off, and let them brown. Burning slightly(or more than slightly) is totally ok, I actually prefer it.

Empty the pot, leave it hot. Use it to sear off the oxtail, sear it on all sides. Take it out(usually all the oxtail won't fit unless you have a giant stockpot), and deglaze and scrape the fond with 1/2 the beer, and let the beer cook down to about 1/2 volume. Enjoy the other half of the beer.

Throw everything else back in the pot, adding the salt and pepper, adobo sauce & chili powder to your liking. Add about 10 tortillas, ripped up. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to low heat and stew it down. Every 20 minutes or so, you need to get a wood spoon and scrape the bottom of the pot down. After the meat starts to fall apart and is fully cooked(about 3 hours or so), take the lid off and let it simmer and reduce to the thickness you like. You'll still have to scrape the bottom to get the good stuff up.

Yeah there's bones in it. If you aren't a cowboy, you can pick them out and clean the meat off and put the meat back in (which is a pain, but I do things for my wife). If it's too thin, add more tortillas or reduce it down.

Serve in bowls with more beer and corn tortillas. Prepare to eat until you hurt. Which will take far less time than you think.

Dell, here is another family staple. It makes enough to freeze for some leftovers or a quick meal another busy night. (Don't enter either of my entrys in your draw, I just want to pass along some recipes.)

4-6 small, medium-green cabbages.
Note: Smooth, small cabbages are desired rather than heavy, veined, texteured ones. Large, tough leaves ae all good for lining the pan, and can be eaten along with the cabbage rools as they become very flavourful. If you ae buying small cabbages, you might need 7-8 of them.

Filling:
1 lb. medium uncooked ground beef
1lb ground uncooked pork
2 tsp. celery salt
4 c. well-cooked rice
3T onion flakes
2T crushed dried dill
garlic as desired
1T salt
1/4 c vinegar
1 large can diced tomatoes
6 slices fatty bacon, slow-fried to release and retain fat, then food-process the meat and fat until finely chopped

Sauce:
1 or 2 large cans tomato juice
1 or 2 large cans diced tomatoes
2T crushed dried dill
1/2 c vinegar
1T salt
pepper

Preparation1. Cook the rice and set aside (3-4 c. after cooking)

2. Core the cabbages well, removing the heart and the dense, curled centre leaves with a strong spoon.

3. Set cabbages, hollow side down, in a large baking pan in 1-2 inches of water. Cover and steam/ boil them in a 400 degree oven for about 60-90 minutes. Every 10-15 minutes, remove the outer leaves that are becoming transparent and pliable, BEFORE they become fully cooked, thready and fragile.

Slice away the back of the heavy centre vein on each cooked leaf, so the leaf is whole (Not cut down the spine) and 'roll-able' but of uniform thickness (no ridged spine)

4. Set aside each prepared leaf and wait for the other leaves as you prepare the filling

5. Combine all "Filling" ingredients together and stir well. The mixture will be sloppy, but will form a mound when dropped from a large spoon.

Fill each leaf with about 2 T of filling. Roll core end once over filling - fold in ends - finish rolling. Poke finger into each end to secure the loose ends of the leaf.

Use outside leaves on bottom of roaster to prevent scorching.
Put end of rolled leaf towards bottom.

Cover rolls with sauce (see recipe above)

Cover with loose (raw or steamed) cabbage leaves and cores.

Protect your oven with a large oven liner on the rack just below the roaster

Bake at 375 F for about 6-8 hours, or until outer protective cabbage leaves are dark and scorched.

To test for doneness, the largest cabbage roll, from the centre of the pan, should cut with a fork. Keep cooking until this is the case. When caabage is out of season, old, or heavily veined, longer cooking times are required.

Last one for me, need to get this in quick!

Red Curried Pork

3-5 fresh red jalepenos
10 cloves of garlic
1.5 tablespoons of fresh ginger or galangal
1 bunch cilantro
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
2 14 ounce cans of coconut milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 stalks of lemon grass
1.5 pounds of pork rib meat, though chicken thighs can be substituted or equivalent "dark" meat
1 medium red onion halved and sliced
1 red bell pepper sliced
1 green bell pepper sliced
1 cup white rice

To make the curry mix, combine garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, and fish sauce in blender or spice grinder and puree. On medium heat, heat oil, and add the puree. After about 5 minutes, add the coconut milk, the white part of the lemon grass stalks bruised, and simmer for another 5 minutes and set aside. In a large sautee pan, sautee the meat to get a nice color on both sides, and then add the onion and bell peppers. Once the onion starts to brown, add the curry sauce, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Serve over rice, and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Remember to pull out the lemon grass stalks before serving. 3 red jalepenos will make this pretty mild.

This recipe serves 4, so double it. I add some extra chicken and shreded mexican cheese and tortilla strips as well. You can plus or minus the flavorful heat by adding more or less chipotles.

Chipotle Chile Pepper Soup
Ingredients
1 Large onion, finely chopped
6 Cloves garlic, minced
1 T Olive oil
16 ozs Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces

It is one of my favorites, very easy to make, and even reheats very well.
1 14 1/2 oz Can chicken broth
4 t Chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/4 t Salt
2 C Fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 C Snipped fresh cilantro

Directions
In a dutch oven cook the onion and garlic in hot oil over medium high heat about 4 minutes or until tender.
Add the chicken, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, chipotle peppers, splenda, and salt.
Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the tomatoes and the snipped cilantro.

A blender or spice grinder? Heresy! You must use a granite mortar and pestle and pound the stuff into a pulp! It is the only way to do this properly!
It's good aggression therapy as well!

Chicken fajitas

This is my girlfriends fav!

marinade:

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
optional- black pepper, oregano

Add 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast sliced thinly to the marinade and let rest for min of 4 hours. I usually add the chicken to the marinade before I leave for work.

cooking instructions:

Place chicken and marinade in a large frying pan
add 1 medium onion sliced
optional- sliced shallots and green onion
cook over medium heat until chicken is no longer translucent.

Next add sliced green and red peppers (yellow, orange)
add 1 cup salsa, preferably home made or good quality
continue cooking until chicken is cooked through out

serve with flour or corn tortillas
I use a mix of old white cheddar and medium yellow cheddar
lettuce
fresh mango slices
sour cream
salsa
pico de gallo

Serve and enjoy!

I do a similar one, but the salsa is used for topping, and thin sliced carrots are cooked with the bell peppers. We use flour tortillas and wrap them burrito style.

I do a similar one, but the salsa is used for topping, and thin sliced carrots are cooked with the bell peppers. We use flour tortillas and wrap them burrito style.

I thought the wraping of the tortilla was a givin. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Have you tried the mango? It's a really nice touch.

Haven't tried mango, I use avocado slices. And Tillamook Vintage extra sharp white cheddar. The cheese is not traditional, but yummy!

Del:

Have you tried all the recipes yet? I'm looking forward to your feedback and finding out who wins THE PRECIOUS!

Back