Recommend me a long stainless or semi-stainless petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blumbo

just a normal dude
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for something 180-210mm for smaller slicing tasks, and fruits. What are your favorites? Feel free to give a value pick and a splurge pick!

Last edited:
What do you intend to use it for?
For low blade height / more slicer-ish knives that are still somewhat versatile it's hard to get around Ashi Ginga.
For pure meat work (as a trimmer) I actually prefer my K-Sabatier 200 series 18 cm slicer.

But if it's mostly for board work you might want something taller than either of them.

One thing to keep in mind is that the wa versions run shorter than the yo versions (wa measures handle to tip, yo measures heel to tip).
The Ashi petties basically all follow the model of 'small sujihiki', compared to taller petties that are more of a 'small gyuto'.

The main reason I prefer the K-Sabatier over the Ashi for meat work is that it has even less blade height. For me, less blade height = more better for meat trimming. I basically want a stiff fillet knife. :D

Love my Konosuki HD suji/petty. 210mm. Semi-stainless, but it sharpens pretty much like a carbon steel knife would, which means it has survived the purging of almost all of my stainless steel knives. I like the suji/petty profile for small slicing; it's more fun to use than a more conventional petty.

I am a big fan of the utility of this format. I don't hesitate to recommend the following, though all different.

- Gesshin (Ashi) Ginga stainless 210. Lasery. Fantastic fit. Lower end of heel height makes for low drag and some flex makes for a precise cutter. Not chippy. Easily takes an edge.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co.../products/gesshin-ginga-210mm-stainless-petty

- Heiji 210 semi stainless. Heavier, at the thicc end of spine spectrum. Ordered direct with be cheaper but will come with a 4 month wait and a little bit rougher fit and finish. Awesome for raw and cooked protein. Nice heat treat but can get a chippy without a microbevel. Tall enough for board work (mylast example was 35mm tall at heel or thereabouts). Heiji's burnt chestnut is the best of wa handles.

- Moriya 210 in mono Ginsan. My current subject. Received recently from Michael, tall enough for comfortable board work but narrows and has a nice righty bias convex grind. Steel feels really nice on the stones when I put an initial edge on it. Handle has some gaps where blade starts to taper in, might fill with some epoxy but I'm very pleased with this one so far and it's a great value with one of Michael's coupons from a prior purchase.

https://knifejapan.com/moriya-munemitsu-ry-ba-yanagiba-210mm-gingami-3-stainless-steel/

Splurge pick? That's easy for me. Ask @HSC /// Knives to make you one out of Cru Wear in your dimensions of choice with your handle of choice. If I hadn't been pleasantly surprised with the above Moriya from Michael, I'd already have one on the way from Harbeer. And I still probably will, eventually. The gyuto he made me is simply really good stuff.

Yeah Sakai mono lasers are by far the most common 210-180mm suji/petty you will find. Might be able to track down a Yoshikane or Kono skd 180mm petty that runs long like 190ish mm.
My personal preference is ashi western line which is true to size length wise and might be perhaps a tad thicker blade.

FWIW... Ashi has a pretty thin tip and as such it's great for trimming meats, and IMO a bit more fun for all-round use. But as an actual slicer one without much distal taper (like the Heji or Kagayaki) will be a bit stiffer (and marginally better).

Both were
Wait you sold your TF Mab 180mm because you liked your Ginga more ??!!
Not because it was better necessarily but it was more special to me because I bought it direct from Ashi Hamono's workshop in Sakai :)

Edit: the mab versus the ashi is a good example of a true 180mm gyuto versus the ashi being more like a 180mm gyuto-petty hybrid!

Last edited:
I found the Ashi, Ginga, et al, to be too flexi for tasks I wanted a petty for.
I have to agree. Maybe we should post this is the Unpopular Opinions thread. I had a 180 stainless pretty that I could never get down with. Too flexy, I was underwhelmed by the steel's ability to take an edge. I replaced it with a Fujiyama 210 petty (white 2) that's just awesome.

Wouldn't it be a sujihike at 210 or is the profile slightly different? I always thought a petty was shorter than that.

Back