Recommendation for pretty, low-maintenance chef's knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joleran

Reaction score
US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife or Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
250 USD, would rather be around 100-150 USD though

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)?
Slicing/chopping/mincing veggies and slicing/trimming meats for daily prep

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
210mm Tojiro DP Gyuto is my daily driver

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking, Push cut, Slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Definitely want a pretty knife, I like both a hammered and layered finish, and overall aesthetics are very important, as is scratch resistance and stain resistance

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Want to avoid any sharp edges rubbing when doing pinch grip. I have medium-small hands.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Out of the box sharpness and ease of care are very important, less effort required the better.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I'd like to get a cutting edge on the shallow side, but allowing for that, the longer the better

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
yes (poly)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes, use stones with jigs

TL;DR - I want a very pretty knife that doesn't suck too much and requires minimal care, something like the Shun premier line but perhaps there is a better option.

Sounds like you're looking for stainless. Maybe you could pull off a damascus SG-2? Would give you a nice upgrade in the steel / edge retention department at the same time, however that would put it at the higher end of your budget though. The Shiro Kamo R2 gyutos kome to mind. Or the Kurosaki Shizuki R2 knives. However those are all Japanese handle knives. Maybe you could consider a Miyabi birchwood SG2, but I think those are above your budget.

Welcome Joleran.

The combination of a pretty pattern and good fit & finish (rounded spine & choil) generally comes at a price, often more than you are looking at.

Note also that scratch resistance is generally not a feature of san mai blades. The cladding is designed to be soft for easy thinning.

Also be aware that when it comes time to thin damascus knives, the damascus pattern may need to be re-etched.

+1 on the Shiro Kamo. A really good knife at a nice price. R2 powdered steel with what seems to be a good heat tereatment. Thin behind the edge. A tall blade (one member didn't like this nut it suits me really well) with a bit of convexity and quite reasonable food release. The damascus is very demure but still quite pretty. The handle is octagonal rosewood which is quite nice. The spine and choil are eased but not rounded. The apine doesn't feel sharp (but you do notice it going back from a fully rounded spine). It's a thin behind the edge middleweight which does most tasks reasonably well.

Note that the K&S upgraded versison (Shinko Kurokumo) has a fully rounded choil, an even nicer (ebony) handle and the damascus pattern has been etched, so is much more prominent. It's also more expensive.

Here's a western handled version of the OEM knife mentioned:

v46lqr.jpg

$149 for a 210. Will want to ease the spine/choil a bit, very simple to do with wet dry. Use tape to protect finish.

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=89157

Thanks all. I really like the idea of the R2 steel and the Shiro Kama looks quite nice, though the Kurosaki Shizuku mentioned is really distinctive. How relatively concerned should I be with chipping in R2 versus VG10?

Latest posts

Back