Recommendation: High Quality Kitchen Knife Set for Home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to refrain from recommending "if you think your dishwasher runs on soap and water, feed it soap next time and see what happens".

DON'T!!!

The expectation we have nowadays of dishwasher detergents is that they more or less disassemble anything organic back into their component atoms and wash a slurry of mainly very tiny white balls, big black balls, medium sized blue and red balls straight down the drain :) Not quite, but there is a reason that while soap is well recommended to put on your hand frequently, the same is as recommendable with dishwasher powder as doing it with a mix of lye, bleach, and meat tenderizer concentrate.

I will second what theory said about Jon . I send all the guys and gals that work for me to Jon based on his undying commitment to match the right knife with the right guy. Plus his selection is awesome and he is a guy you can always count on for advise.

I'd say get a $130-$250 gyuto or santoku or petty now, of any brand that is often recommended here, and gain experience with it.

Anyone recommend the Takamura R2 line yet? Western handle, sharp as all get out, won't need sharpening very often.

A dishwasher is just hot water with soap! A knife should be able to handle that terrible abuse :)

Best regards,

CG

Late coming in but...

Facetious? Pretty dry if so. I don't believe there are any fine handle materials, synthetic or otherwise, that won't deteriorate in the dishwasher, and then there is all the knocking around going on about your nice fine and thin edge, that will likely chip, if not only get dinged.

As The ThEoRy says, what's so hard about a quick rinse/wipe with wet towel and wipe dry? Nothing of course, and actually far more convenient and smarter than leaving your knife decaying on the counter for hours before throwing it in the washer, then pulling it out.

Anyone recommend the Takamura R2 line yet? Western handle, sharp as all get out, won't need sharpening very often.

No, but I did suggest Ryusen Blazen, which may (or may not, depending on what you believe) be similar to the Takamura Pro (the black not the red handle). JKI now has the Blazen, so if the OP speaks to Jon, I'm sure Jon will recommend what he feels will suit the OP best (whether that be a Blazen or something even more dishwasher unfriendly :wink:)

Following this thread, based on the op's patience and not blinking at the prices out there, I think the op wants and can afford a great set of knives.

There is a whole learning process on how to handle and care for this type and quality of knife beyond washing - drying, storage, cutting board choice, protection of the edge from hard materials, not using steels or normal sharpening, etc that it would be good to know so you can keep these knives sharp and in good condition.

Following this thread, based on the op's patience and not blinking at the prices out there, I think the op wants and can afford a great set of knives.

There is a whole learning process on how to handle and care for this type and quality of knife beyond washing - drying, storage, cutting board choice, protection of the edge from hard materials, not using steels or normal sharpening, etc that it would be good to know so you can keep these knives sharp and in good condition.

Hi, what type of cutting board does the forum recommend? I currently have a kind of plastic one.

Thank you,

CG :)

Hinoki boards are also good. Thicker ones (1") are nice.

Hi, the problem with wooden boards is when I put them in the dishwasher the glue comes apart. Is there a synthetic cutting board that your recommend?

Thank you,

Either your obsessed with the dishwasher or you are trolling us. I recommended two good brands of synthetic boards is my above post.

I like paper towels on top of a rock. When done throw the paper towels away and put the rock back in the creek.

Hahahahahahahaha Good luck ruining your high quality knives. Do you know how hot that water is? Or what the heat and steam will do while drying? It's over 165 in the wash cycle and over 185 in the rinse cycle. I'm sorry but your way off on this one. A high quality knife that can be ran in the dishwasher just doesn't exist.

Besides, what is so hard about simply wiping your knife with a damp towel and then a dry one. Cause that's all you need to do.

+1.
Also keep in mind that the soap isn't the ordinary green(or whatever other color) liquid soap that you use for hand wash.
It is very aggressive. Also drying liquid is included. While younger, I had put some ballon whisks with colorful handle and the top part of a grinding machine in a dishwasher.
When they came out, the upper layer of their surface was no longer there [emoji33]

There are dishwasher-proof wood fiber boards by epicurean.

What NOT to use, IMHO: Any plastic boards with a "grippy" or VERY soft texture. Edge trap, especially when rocking or walking.

After following this thread you seem to know a lot about good knifes and details .. if you know that hattoris are always out of stock, than you know them....

..sooo i recommend you to buy an imperial lightsaber (dondt get the green ones!! they suck)
The special stormtrooper Ice planet models can be washed in a dishwasher. Also they cut any board with one swing so it does not matter what material the board is!
I hope this helps you! because nothing seems to help you and we are on page 9 already.. so dondt get the green ones!!

If you really want some knifes then its awesome if you fill out the form!

This person is very committed to their long con of trolling this forums users. I'm kind of surprised at how helpful people are still being in spite of it. :)

did my post sound ironic? ;) Well everything has been recommended trillion times here and reading first sometimes help..

but still dondt take the green ones! they suck!

Wooden preferably end grain or a soft synthetic board (san tuff, hi-soft).

My apologies, I should have read your post more thoroughly. Hi-Soft cutting board is not dishwasher friendly, not sure about the other.

Thank you,

The Prepworks by Progressive Cutting Board - 17.38" X 11.25" seems to be mentioned as a very good to best cutting board (1) in several reviews I have been reading!

Plastic: Plastics are harder on knife edges and will show more gouge marks than wood, but are much easier to clean—which is why we think they’re best for most people. They can be run through the dishwasher, making them more versatile for prepping things like raw meat. All plastic boards scar over time, and the deeper cuts are where bacteria hide out. Most of the experts we spoke with recommend replacing plastic boards every two years. When a sponge or dishcloth snags on the board, or your knife skips over deep cuts, it’s time for a new one. The same goes for warped boards.

Wood: Although attractive and easier on knives, wood boards require more maintenance than plastic—they must be washed carefully and oiled on a regular schedule. You’ll find them in two styles: end and edge grain. End grain boards are made of a number of board ends glued together, and they can be more gentle on knives, because the edge slides between the vertical wood fibers. Cuts and other marks tend to close more efficiently, self-healing over time, but the exposed ends also make them easier to dry out, stain, and crack. Edge grain boards (like our Proteak pick) are the sides of boards glued together in alternating strips, with the sides (edges) facing up. These boards tend to be harder on knife edges than end grain, but they also withstand moisture-based cracking and splitting better, and are easier to clean. (This diagram illustrates the difference between end and edge grain nicely.)

Composite and other materials: Composite boards are essentially many layers of Richlite baked and pressed together. They are food-safe and easily maintained, but generally quite tough on knife edges. You’ll also find granite and glass boards, but these are even worse for retaining a sharp blade.

The Prepworks by Progressive Cutting Board - 17.38" X 11.25" seems to be mentioned as a very good to best cutting board (1) in several reviews I have been reading!

Plastic: Plastics are harder on knife edges and will show more gouge marks than wood, but are much easier to clean—which is why we think they’re best for most people. They can be run through the dishwasher, making them more versatile for prepping things like raw meat. All plastic boards scar over time, and the deeper cuts are where bacteria hide out. Most of the experts we spoke with recommend replacing plastic boards every two years. When a sponge or dishcloth snags on the board, or your knife skips over deep cuts, it’s time for a new one. The same goes for warped boards.

Wood: Although attractive and easier on knives, wood boards require more maintenance than plastic—they must be washed carefully and oiled on a regular schedule. You’ll find them in two styles: end and edge grain. End grain boards are made of a number of board ends glued together, and they can be more gentle on knives, because the edge slides between the vertical wood fibers. Cuts and other marks tend to close more efficiently, self-healing over time, but the exposed ends also make them easier to dry out, stain, and crack. Edge grain boards (like our Proteak pick) are the sides of boards glued together in alternating strips, with the sides (edges) facing up. These boards tend to be harder on knife edges than end grain, but they also withstand moisture-based cracking and splitting better, and are easier to clean. (This diagram illustrates the difference between end and edge grain nicely.)

Composite and other materials: Composite boards are essentially many layers of Richlite baked and pressed together. They are food-safe and easily maintained, but generally quite tough on knife edges. You’ll also find granite and glass boards, but these are even worse for retaining a sharp blade.

And you could've found that board without our help at all...buy the damn ****** board and a ****** knife and stop asking questions...

I like paper towels on top of a rock. When done throw the paper towels away and put the rock back in the creek.

Can I sharpen my knives with the rock? Will it go in the dishwasher?

My idea of a dishwasher
housewife_011.jpg

Back