Recommended Restaurants and Shops in Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am planning to visit Japan this summer, and want to try some food there, I trust people on KKF to have good taste in food so does anyone have recommendations for restaurants? From street foods to fine dining in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

Also, are there any knife shops that are recommended?

Hello, I am planning to visit Japan this summer, and want to try some food there, I trust people on KKF to have good taste in food so does anyone have recommendations for restaurants? From street foods to fine dining in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

Also, are there any knife shops that are recommended?
So many incredible restaurants in Tokyo, but the only one that I reserve every time that I’m there is Kaikaya by the Sea in Shibuya.

Tonkatsu Hinata in Tokyo was great, I almost shed a tear on the first bite. If you go for lunch, arrive 30 minutes early to get a reasonable spot in line. Dinner requires a reservation and is a set meal. Yakitori Moe was good too, would recommend. More expensive is Zurriola in Ginza, Tokyo, but also excellent.

Ugh this is hard because every restaurant I liked in osaka/kyoto that were out of world experiences has caveats... or I have no idea what the place is called because alcohol / just followed friend....
- need japanese friend cause owner doesn't speak English
- is very out of the way in some residential area
- need reservations wayyy in advance.... by the said Japanese friend.

That being said almost everything in kyoto / osaka is good if you can walk in...even near something touristy.

Fun stuff happens here in kyoto regarding food, small shops, near nishiki market so its fun. mostly along this river. Somewhere along the river are a bars and a bunch of cool eateries... again I was not particularly aware of surroundings to pinpoint where i went... haha
1715614954957.png

Back