Recommending a sharpening machine for a restaurant

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matus I don't have time to teach them (since I am leaving the country)how to sharpen but it is an interesting idea to offer to people in the future.
Once I am in the UK I need to see if I can find a supplier of stones currently I buy the bulk of my stones from Germany he stocks quite a few different brands - Shaptons Choseras King Bester and a few others
Although as mentioned in this thread sadly many chefs do not do sharpening although I imagine if you have a licence to do Sushi then it is taught I would assume since a bad edge will spoil sushi very quickly producing rot and giving a foul flavour to it..
What is poor is that many chefs are probable using knives that are less than sharp which can effect flavours although some of the knives I have been given to sharpen have had dried food and grease on them so I would perhaps class these people as professional cooks rather than chefs.
A real chef does the job with love & pride so I imagine every detail has to be looked at.

Leo, seems like your options to help them are really limited. I am surprised to read that so many cooks/chefs seem to care so little about tools that they use. I would not expect every chef to be a knife enthusiast, but I thought that having decent and properly working knives would be of value. If however they do not understand the difference between knife that is properly being cared for and knife that is being trashed, than it is probably a 'windmill fight' to try to help them.

Matus It should be interesting to see if the standard of cleanliness & knife care is any better back in the UK (I move back in a week now ) than here in Spain In general the higher latitudes tend to be less lazy and more fastidious it seems to be the same in both hemispheres from latitudes 40 and below perhaps the heat makes people lazy and generally uncaring about their surroundings .

Leo, one can feel your disappointment, but many could find your words offending, even if that was not your intention.

I wish you a good start in UK.

The intension is not to offend but currently living in an environment with yachts that travel extensively in the lower latitudes much of the worst damage to the environment is caused by thoughtless ignorant people the Pacific is known to have huge floating Islands of rubbish the Mediterranean jellyfish problem has been due to overfishing particularly of the sea turtle the natural predator of the jellyfish.
The natives certainly here will tip their rubbish anywhere rather than in the right place their excuse when questioned is that it keeps other people employed this can also be seen throughout countries in lower latitudes .
There is remarkable little pride in their work(of course there are exceptions ) their excuse in general is that they are not paid enough once again this is a trait of many countries in the lower latitudes .
There are exceptions I have seen very proud blade smiths in Spain and other artisans be it chefs or builders but sadly this is not the norm perhaps this has become a global norm in my absence from higher latitudes .
So I am not out to offend but merely an observation I am always ready to praise someone that does their trade with love or people that care for our environment .
One of the finest knife makers probable in Spain is located here in Mallorca they produce top class hunting knives http://www.2gknives.com/index.php/en/

So my sincerest apologies to anyone that I have offended. But what is the answer do we ignore it and allow low standards and lack of responsibility to our environment or do we offend a few people ?

A knife, a stone, freehand skills all you need. Best way to sharpen a kitchen knife no need to spend a lot of money on sharpening equipment. A little freehand skill goes a long way. Just some motor skill & hand eye coordination and it is teachable.

Let them deal with crappy knives and crappy performance. If the kitchen wants to use good steel then talk to them, otherwise leave them be.

Back