Red Aoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My red aoto is giving brown mud. I love that stone. I couldn't use it at the beginning but i am still learning to do that. Now i am very confident with it and my edges are better and better. I think that I love that stone:D

Well brown and red slurry here too.
Red Aoto is soft stone so it will release mud from stone it self but that is whole idea about that stone. To give uniform finish for a knife.
There will not be any black mud as on finishers as first of all it is red stone so it will mix with black swarf very quickly thats why mud become brown.
Second you need to test how fast it gives the burr or remove it, not how black mud become.

Thats why i dont like it for razors as it is to soft for them¨, i bet it works just fine on them but feeling is just bad.

So it seems like your Aoto is like everybody else's, you just dont like soft Jnats

It was one of the early ones I believe, it got darker stripes in it
My camera sucks but will try and see what I can do.

I did try it out again yesterday, an old Swedish carbon blade, not very hard steel.
The slurry on the Red Aoto goes from reddish to more brown.
On the other "coarse" stones, regular Aoto, White Binsu, Amakusa and Hideriyama it goes from any color to black.
Any suggestions on how more to test it?

Well brown and red slurry here too.
Red Aoto is soft stone so it will release mud from stone it self but that is whole idea about that stone. To give uniform finish for a knife.
There will not be any black mud as on finishers as first of all it is red stone so it will mix with black swarf very quickly thats why mud become brown.
Second you need to test how fast it gives the burr or remove it, not how black mud become.

Thats why i dont like it for razors as it is to soft for them¨, i bet it works just fine on them but feeling is just bad.

So it seems like your Aoto is like everybody else's, you just dont like soft Jnats

Yes, that could be it!
I will continue play around with it a little more and then pass it on to a friend.

I have compared its speed of removing steel to my other stones and the others are faster so I stick with them.
The Hideriyama is both faster and gives a better finish but it's harder too, might be my technique that fits harder stones better.
What I do like with the Red Aoto is to use it as Nagura or just use the slurry but I've got some smaller pieces to play with that I'll keep.

It was fun to try it tho, thanks all for your input!

Back