Red Aoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epoxy - yes, that's the stuff! Not sure if I, for one, would ever do it though. The stones just look better on their own, no?
you have to make sure to use the correct epoxy, I used the wrong one once and the stones came off the bases in days. I use Gorilla glue and it works great, it expands while setting and fills all space between the stone and the base.

My main concern is not stone breaking under too much pressure, cause Im not pressig hard on naturals.

More of a stress for me is when I soak them, that I might just hit one, ever so slightly onto side of sink, and even if once will not do any harm, maybe after 15 small hits something breaks?

My main concern is not stone breaking under too much pressure, cause Im not pressig hard on naturals.

More of a stress for me is when I soak them, that I might just hit one, ever so slightly onto side of sink, and even if once will not do any harm, maybe after 15 small hits something breaks?
lacquer it and it will be fine. I reinforced mine with washi paper then a few thick layers of cashew lacquer, the stone is bullet proof now.

Thanks :) Yes, I got shellac all over it already [not on the topside :D]

Feels much better.

lacquer it and it will be fine. I reinforced mine with washi paper then a few thick layers of cashew lacquer, the stone is bullet proof now.

I've never worked with lacquer, but can't help wondering if a bit of the stuff really does make any difference? Hardly seems like it would be strong enough to do so. On thin wood, yes sure, I can imagine it. But when set against the mass of a stone I have a hard time picturing it.

I've never worked with lacquer, but can't help wondering if a bit of the stuff really does make any difference? Hardly seems like it would be strong enough to do so. On thin wood, yes sure, I can imagine it. But when set against the mass of a stone I have a hard time picturing it.
If you going to bash the stones into each other then probably they will not survive the routine, but occasional bump is fine IME.
I have dropped lacquered stones in the sink and they are still intact.

Back