• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Red Flags on BST

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“No notes”!?

IMG_3144.gif

I feel like this recent post is why people should never make instant comments like “omg what a good price, this’ll sell quickly.”

You create an atmosphere for a potential buyer to jump right on the transaction. I’ve seen it on multiple scam posts that people comment stuff like this and it could literally end up helping the scammer.

The comments are not needed. Whether you are just trying to help a friend sell a knife or just essentially making a useless comment on a sale post.

That "no notes" thing is so ****ing boomer oml

Not gonna say scam or no scam, but IF homie did get hacked, he got hacked by the oldest mfer on the internet

“No notes”!?
“No notes” is standard for r/Knife_Swap and other EDC-type knife trading places. PP is known to ban accounts and freeze payments when it detects keywords related to “weapons” being bought and sold, so “no notes” just avoids any issues.

I wouldn’t take a request for “no notes” when sending an PP payment itself as being a sign of a sketchy seller — rather, one who is used to buying and selling on non-kitchen knife sites.

Maybe someone with a better memory could verify but I remember this forum member but I do not remember that profil pic/avatar. Furthermore he only has a little over a hundred messages? That’s not accurate either.

“No notes” is standard for r/Knife_Swap and other EDC-type knife trading places. PP is known to ban accounts and freeze payments when it detects “weapons” being bought and sold, so “no notes” just avoids any issues.

I wouldn’t take “no notes” as being a sign of a sketchy seller — rather, one who is used to buying and selling on non-kitchen knife sites.
Thanks for that tid bit, I was wondering why the "no notes" thing. For me, not knowing I assumed it was so there was less of a "paper trail" or if disputes happen it turns into a he said she said type situation with what was actually sold/shipped.

Edited - typo

I thought "no notes" was a critique for the lack of a Post-It with the username and date. Learned something new today. Ad is totally legit with one of those.

“No notes” is standard for r/Knife_Swap and other EDC-type knife trading places. PP is known to ban accounts and freeze payments when it detects keywords related to “weapons” being bought and sold, so “no notes” just avoids any issues.

I wouldn’t take a request for “no notes” when sending an PP payment itself as being a sign of a sketchy seller — rather, one who is used to buying and selling on non-kitchen knife sites.
Thanks for the update. As the second oldest person on the internet after @daveb, that was like a throwback to early eBay days when similar issues would happen for similar reasons. Didn't know it was still a thing. 👍

Thanks for that tid bit, I was wondering why the "no notes" thing. For me, not knowing I assumed it was so there was less of a "paper trail" or if disputes happen it turns into a he said she said type situation with what was actually sold/shipped.

Edited - typo
Yeah, I can see that perspective. But if the transaction dollar amount matches the listing for the item purchased, and the seller PP email address and item purchased is clearly stated in your PM history, I don’t see how the seller could pretend to PP that they didn’t sell you the item.

I used to include PP notes about the knife I was buying on KKF BST, but stopped after a transaction where my payment for a Kono FM Damascus was frozen for PP review. The funds were released after 72 hours, and I still don’t know if it was because of the keyword “damascus” I included in the notes or because my knife binge during that period was so depraved as to raise suspicions with PP’s algorithm. But I’ve left notes empty (or at most just included one vague word) ever since.

Yeah, I can see that perspective. But if the transaction dollar amount matches the listing for the item purchased, and the seller PP email address and item purchased is clearly stated in your PM history, I don’t see how the seller could pretend to PP that they didn’t sell you the item.

I used to include PP notes about the knife I was buying on KKF BST, but stopped after a transaction where my payment for a Kono FM Damascus was frozen for PP review. The funds were released after 72 hours, and I still don’t know if it was because of the keyword “damascus” I included in the notes or because my knife binge during that period was so depraved as to raise suspicions with PP’s algorithm. But I’ve left notes empty (or at most just included one vague word) ever since.
I just use the makers name these days, and it appears PayPal is much more relaxed about my people trafficking habit.

Interesting good to know! I luckily haven't been flagged bc I've been using notes, but also usually buying. Like "Hatsukokoro 210" or vague descriptions. Sure sounds like "Damascus" is a flagged term.

Or conversely if the seller is trying to scam, no notes means the buyer may have less recourse when filing a claim. I feel pretty confident that PayPal is not cracking down on a note that says “Kato”

I feel like this recent post is why people should never make instant comments like “omg what a good price, this’ll sell quickly.”

You create an atmosphere for a potential buyer to jump right on the transaction. I’ve seen it on multiple scam posts that people comment stuff like this and it could literally end up helping the scammer.

The comments are not needed. Whether you are just trying to help a friend sell a knife or just essentially making a useless comment on a sale post.
Absolutely agree…hyping comments are completely unnecessary!

Thank you for that information.

Let it be noted. I always put notes.

The Mods have passed sentence. Hopefully hung, drawn and quartered.

You're making a logic leap that would prize at the Olympics. A temp ban is pretty standard for a member that's been dormant for awhile then comes back selling. Looking to sort it out now.

Back