• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Red Flags on BST

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is also like a scammer training manualā€¦hope they donā€™t read itā€¦
Yeah, Iā€™ve definitely recognised a couple of potential weak spots in the BST system during the course of this thread that I hope nobody spells out explicitly for the bad actors. šŸ˜¬

I've always hated this (and have said so in private to mods). It brings nothing but disadvantages to the board members.
Most of the scamming in recent times seems to be through hijacked zombie accounts. The scammers know we are less likely to be on our guard if an established member posts a desirable knife.

Most of the scamming in recent times seems to be through hijacked zombie accounts. The scammers know we are less likely to be on our guard if an established member posts a desirable knife.
Man people suck.

I'm sure that's true, but I still fail to see the upside to the waiver policy beyond getting cash for the board (which is a very good thing, obviously, I just think this manner of doing it carries inherent risk for members).

Knowing some of the old school KKFers though, someone who hasn't posted in 5 years and then makes a clumsy BST for a rare knife way under market value isn't gonna shock me.

Half those boys have some serious kit, are running Windows XP on a yellowed plastic swarf covered PC in their garage, realize they haven't used that Mizuno in a decade, and look around for an AOL disk so they can go back to that forum they used to be on to sell it.

Definitely a "verify first" situation, but not at all surprising or a bright red flag. šŸ˜‚

There is precedent for OG members to appear outta nowhere after their accounts being dormant for several years. Iā€™ll never forgive BrainSausage returning one day and dropping a Kato 270mm suji in BST for $800 without consulting me first šŸ˜”
However, the red flags surrounding this recent dude were plenty. Probably about a dozen really.

There is precedent for OG members to appear outta nowhere after their accounts being dormant for several years. Iā€™ll never forgive BrainSausage returning one day and dropping a Kato 270mm suji in BST for $800 without consulting me first šŸ˜”
However, the red flags surrounding this recent dude were plenty. Probably about a dozen really.
What a dick!! Pretty sure that guy still owes me some smoked almonds!

I would like to be in the wills of @tostadas @Rideon66 and @Brian Weekley
I have this recurring nightmare ā€¦ one of my kids arrives at the Goodwill Store after Iā€™m gone. She says ā€œIā€™ve just got a couple of boxes of crummy old scratched and banged up knives that my dad had ā€¦ would you give me $15 for the lot?ā€

I generally wake in a terror sweat just as the money changes hands. Sort of similar to dreaming that youā€™re falling!

BTW ā€¦ if I had @marc4pt0, or @drsmp ā€™s collections I would probably just burn mine.

Last edited:
I feel like this recent post is why people should never make instant comments like ā€œomg what a good price, thisā€™ll sell quickly.ā€

You create an atmosphere for a potential buyer to jump right on the transaction. Iā€™ve seen it on multiple scam posts that people comment stuff like this and it could literally end up helping the scammer.

The comments are not needed. Whether you are just trying to help a friend sell a knife or just essentially making a useless comment on a sale post.
Been thinking about this since it was posted.
For Instant comments, yeah thatā€™s likely a fair criticism.
I donā€™t expect everyone to be able to recognize the tendencies of a scammer either though so itā€™s nice when the alarms are sounded.
I would say there is a growing trend of figurative circle jerking amongst some to get their friends knives sold quickly if they sit in BST for too long and itā€™s just annoying.
The ā€œOMG canā€™t believe this is still hereā€ comments are pretty humorous. Itā€™s still there because either the price isnā€™t enough of a bargain yet or no one wants the knife you thought you could test for a day and drop in BST. Especially if thread has been bumped 6-8 times already.
If you want to be a good friend just buy your homeboys knife off him.

Or the crazy scenario when most of us here have the knives we want, see good knives for 30-50% off and want to give a good seller a boost.

Did this become the unpopular opinions thread? Why do buyers keep asking nonsense questions on knives that they aren't going to buy? I hate tirekickers. I would rather see GLWS!!! CANT BELIEFVE IT'S STILL HERE every day over there

šŸ˜œ

First of all I donā€™t remember anyone asking you a Godd*mn thing šŸ˜ƒ but here you are chastising a new member on a for sale thread that isnā€™t even your own. New member just bought a denka last week I think he can afford one of the 15 Sakai knives that constantly move through BST in the $300ish range that sit unsold for a month. Kinda crazy you assume he isnā€™t going to buy it though?
Asking for original product page is not an unreasonable request.
Might wanna sit this one out.

Back