regrettable knife purchaces

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watanabe custom kiritsuke group order (10 knives) from a few years ago. That dealing left a bad taste in my mouth and probably started the away-transition from J. knives. Maybe instead I should thank Shinichi, or whoever made those knives for him, for that? :D

Once you venture into the world of knut, you will try many a knife to find your perfect cutter. We've all had knives that were far less than perfect. They become learning tools that teach us the nuances we strive for. No regrets....

Agree to that... we all learn from our mistakes. Plus the less used knives can serve for sharpening training

A long time ago I bought a ceramic edged German chefs knife (I think Zwilling) which advertised 'no sharpening'. I took it back within the month as it became very dull very quickly. The shop swapped it for a standard knife.

I bought a NZ made (local) 'pumpkin killer' which is good for levering frozen slices of bread apart and not much else.

Waiting on a Will Catcheside O1 with custom dimensions / handle:lol2:

Forgot about this very regrettable one I found in the back of the junk drawer today, a Rada Cutlery bread knife. Works good for nothing, can't cut crusty loafs, shreds white bread. Useless

Forgot about this very regrettable one I found in the back of the junk drawer today, a Rada Cutlery bread knife. Works good for nothing, can't cut crusty loafs, shreds white bread. Useless

I totally forgot about my Wildfire Set. Guy was a jerk and the knives weren't any better than something you could have made in a prison yard.

Watanabe custom kiritsuke group order (10 knives) from a few years ago. That dealing left a bad taste in my mouth and probably started the away-transition from J. knives. Maybe instead I should thank Shinichi, or whoever made those knives for him, for that? :D
Marko, I read that thread on KF few month ago. I thought you were satisfy & happy with knives when you received!! what is wrong with the Watanabe kiritsuke gyuto? :dontknow:Do I missed anything?? I'm just thinking find a Watanabe gyuto to try......

Pssst, it's amazing how many knife makers didn't or don't have a clue. Just saying. Sometimes they're treated like gods around here.

A long time ago I bought a ceramic edged German chefs knife (I think Zwilling) which advertised 'no sharpening'. I took it back within the month as it became very dull very quickly. The shop swapped it for a standard knife.

I bought a NZ made (local) 'pumpkin killer' which is good for levering frozen slices of bread apart and not much else.

Waiting on a Will Catcheside O1 with custom dimensions / handle:lol2:

I just saw will catchside is based in the uk. £450 for a petty ouch, too rich for my blood.

No Regrets at all.....There kinda like girlfriends.....If it did not work out I just got a new one:angel2:

The closest thing I've had to a regrettable knife purchase would be the Nogent chef knife I picked up, last year. They're great for some, but just didn't work for me. With that being said, it got me my "Summer Knife", and the little utility knife I've used about a thousand times since, from Mike Davis.

I keep imagining someone posting their dissatisfaction with a Rhino Chop, though I guess more or less everyone here has the common sense to stay well away from said knife :nono:

What about the deal did you dislike?

I keep imagining someone posting their dissatisfaction with a Rhino Chop, though I guess more or less everyone here has the common sense to stay well away from said knife :nono:

i know quite a few dissatisfied people here... just none of them are online. I actually had to start refusing to work on them because they take a lot of time to fix and even then, they are so-so. A number of people have asked... i did a few before stopping.

How long did it take to fill in all of the holes?

I'm new here but I come from the world of high-end folders and a few years ago thought that my Wustof Classic Chef looked like a good kitchen knife. I still have it but it is the beat pizza cutter because it simply has some of the worst steel I've ever had in a knife over the last 10+ years.

No one regrets buying a Miracle Blade set at 3am?

image001.jpg

That image reminds me of my wife thinking my global was a good knife, and therefore must be indestructable like the tv ones chopping through stell pipes etc, and commencing to try to open a coconut with it.(mass shaking of heads ensues). Chipped it to buggery. At least now i can justify a coarse grit stone to repair it!

That image reminds me of my wife thinking my global was a good knife, and therefore must be indestructable like the tv ones chopping through stell pipes etc, and commencing to try to open a coconut with it.(mass shaking of heads ensues). Chipped it to buggery. At least now i can justify a coarse grit stone to repair it!
Hardly. One sheet of P320 sandpaper will do...
A Chosera 400 is a more elegant approach, I must admit.
It's bizarre, I know the Globals are forgiving, had never any chips, but "guests" manage to change them into saws. My new guest knives: French stainless, 54 HRC. Or Victorinox. Sharpened at J400, stropping at 800. Inclusive angle 32 degree. Good luck.

I used a couple miracle blades at a hall I was shipped into. Once I ceramic mugged them, they actually cut the hell out of veggies.... However, let's not take this as any sort of endorsement on my part. I'm just sayin'.

I'm surprised I never bought these looking for the knife better than what was at work. Thank god I found this forum.

Wildfire Cutlery cleaver many years ago. It was pathetic.

Wildfire Cutlery cleaver many years ago. It was pathetic.

I just checked out his website... For some reason after seeing all The Lord of the Rings-esque offerings I decided to click on his 'Kiritsuke'... Very enlightening. I suggest you all do the same. He could definitely teach Stefan a thing or two about geometry.

I was hoping so. It was the missing smiley that threw me off.

Back