Rehandling gaps

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a couple of knives professionally rehandled. The glue, resin or other adhesive seems to be some sort of black or grey substance (unclear whether it started that way or was transfigured by the hot tang). Unfortunately, there are some gaps. They are very small but capable of taking water. An example is attached - look to the front of the tang- handle attachment point.

What can I do to fill it and does this flaw mean that there are any issues with the rehandling job more generally?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 5D532385-7756-4883-A804-80C0A4696060.jpeg
    5D532385-7756-4883-A804-80C0A4696060.jpeg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 0
I’ve used food safe silicone and that seems to do the trick

I've seen worse. And often on stock knives, the fit up is not always watertight anyways. It takes extra work to do it cleaner, so my guess is that they were just doing the work "good enough".

For remedy, you might want to see what type of sealant it is. Looks like it could be either black hot glue or silicone.
  • If it's silicone, you could dig out the exposed part and add some new silicone in and seal it smooth.
  • If it's hot glue, you can re-melt it with a heat gun, then level it off and scrape away any excess.
  • If you're super OCD, you can remove the whole handle, scrape out all the adhesive, and then do it again yourself.

Back