Rehandling Toyama and balance point

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Recently I got a 240 SS toyama with a D-shaped ho-wood handle.
I also orderd an Amboyna burl with marble horn octagonal handle, which I thought would be a good replacement.

However, the new handle is a bit smaller than the current Ho-wood handle. As I would not like to have the balance point anymore forward than it already is. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to rehandle, or save this handle for another knife. Some help would be greatly appreciated :)

Weight and dimensions of the Toyama (with the ho-wood handle still attached)
212,5 grams (total)
56 mm height (heel to spine)
242 mm long (heel to tip)
420 mm long (from tip to bottom of handle)
147 mm long (handle)
28 mm x 23 mm wide at the bottom (handle)
28 mm x 23 mm wide at the top (handle)

Weight and dimensions of the Amboyna burl handle
56 grams
140 mm long
26 mm x 22 mm wide at the bottom
24 mm x 19 mm wide at the top

I've tried to find the difference in mass for the two woods but I couldn't find some good information on that, so to me it's pretty much guess work at this point.

Would love to hear some advice from people with experience in rehandling knives :)

PXL_20240228_181219919.jpg

PXL_20240228_181933167.jpg

PXL_20240306_161025505.jpg

Usually people have the opposite problem; adding a good-looking ebony handle to a knife only to realize it pulls the balance too far towards the rear.

I'd just swap it and install with hot glue. If you don't like it, swap back!
I have never rehandled a knife before. (I tried it once on my first knife and messep up. Broken handle and bend tang 🤡)

I'm afraid I'll damage something, so I rather send it out and let someone experienced do it. But it's a waste of money if the balance will be off.

Stock d handle on toyama will be approx 30g

To account for weight difference, you can tape nickels along the handle (5g ea) to estimate approx final balance.

Edit: I realized you are not in US, so just base weight on whatever coins used in your local currency. It's good enough for approximation purposes.

My guess is that the Amboyna handle is heavier which will cancel out it's shorter length. I'd bet the balance will be about the same, maybe a little less blade forward with the Amboyna. At the very least just knock off the stock handle and do a dry fit with the Amboyna. I've never knocked off a Toyama handle, but strongly suspect it will come off easy without any damage.

Not completely on topic, but I re-handled both of my Toyama's, and it was a b**ch because of the size and shape of the tangs. The tangs were thick and not straight, so I spent a frustratingly long time filing the inside of my handles, and it was difficult installing them straight. Not the ideal knife for your first re-handle. I know you said you'll send this off to a professional to do this, but just mentioning this for others who may think of doing this on their own. I don't know if every Toyama is like this, but that's been my experience with the two that I have. Also note that I don't have the SS version, so I don't know if the tangs on the SS are different.

Not completely on topic, but I re-handled both of my Toyama's, and it was a b**ch because of the size and shape of the tangs. The tangs were thick and not straight, so I spent a frustratingly long time filing the inside of my handles, and it was difficult installing them straight. Not the ideal knife for your first re-handle. I know you said you'll send this off to a professional to do this, but just mentioning this for others who may think of doing this on their own. I don't know if every Toyama is like this, but that's been my experience with the two that I have. Also note that I don't have the SS version, so I don't know if the tangs on the SS are different.
Your right. I had to spend a lot of time on the 220 stone and sander (via a multi tool). totally forgot.

Yes, toyama/watanabe tangs are more uneven than most. Expect thicker areas along the tang than at the tang hole opening, and some bending/warping.

If you really want to max out moving the balance backwards, you could also oversize your tang slot a bit and pour some tungsten powder down the hole before adding your hot melt and installing.

Osmium would be even better. A 1cm cube is 22g, 4g heavier than tungsten. :)
Pretty expensive though! And you can buy tungsten powder from some niche golf equipment providers as it’s often used for weighting in that application. So is lead powder… but I avoid the lead stuff

Back