Reinforcing whetstones with glass just like the Shapton glass

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andur

Reaction score
Decided to rewrite my post about gluing stones to glass. The old one was a year ago here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/26849-My-new-Shapton-Pro-Glass-Stones

The idea is to make a stone thicker, heavier, more stable and less prone to warping. You could use the stone up to the last 1mm of thickness left (hopefully!). The matte glass also helps to flatten other stones.

4 pieces of 4mm sandblasted glass (one side gloss, one side matte) in 210x70mm cost me $15. The glue I'm using is Henckels Moment 100% which is a sort of rubbery transparent glue. I think epoxy also works, I did one with bathroom clear silicone sealant with OK results.
P8010084.jpg

The edges of the glass were sharp at first so I rounded and smoothed them on a diamond plate. The fine ones work very nicely, coarse ones chip the glass too much.
P8010085.jpg

Rounded the Shapton Pro corners too.
P8010086.jpg

Taped up the stone on all sides but one. Taped the matte side of the glass with transparent tape (to see where and how the glue is spreading).
P8010087.jpg

This is the suggested shape of the glue before squeezing the materials together to help it spread better. The tricky parts are the far corners, hence the X shape.
P8010089.jpg

The glass on, slowly starts to spread. Put some pressure on it but don't rush it. Some of the glue will absorb into the stone which will take a minute. Coarser stones absorb more.
P8010090.jpg

Little clamps come in handy, as do gloves, wipes and some solvent. Note the flowing glue on the edges, just keep wiping it off and realigning the glass (it slides around easily until the glue starts to set). Once no more glue seeps out, I cleaned the glass edges with solvent and left to dry.
P8010091.jpg

Finished stone!
P8010095.jpg

This Shapton Pro has been my go to stone for some time now. I've got the 320, 1000, 5000 and 12000. Mostly only do a 2min sharpening, 1min on 1k and 1min on the 5k for my gyuto.

I hope this post helps someone! Happy honing!

Really nice, looks really cool too. Its a Shapton Pro Glass or AI 1000 Glass? :)

Would be nice for some naturals too.

Thanks for showing.

Very clean execution
I have started to put bases on most of my synthetic stones - I use a 10 mm thick hard PVC. I also do them a little longer.

Looks really good, thank you for sharing! But how much do sharpening stones actually warp, meaning is there a necessity for this?

Does anyone have concerns about this affecting the drying rate?

I know different stones are more or less susceptible to cracking due to uneven drying, but I don't really understand which and how much this is a problem. It just seems like sealing one face would make any problem a little worse.

Thanks for the post - right timing. I was just about thinking on adding a base to my SS5000 it's getting very thin.

Haven't had any actual problems with warping before or after gluing. The uneven drying could be a concern, I'm not sure. Haven't run into problems within a year of all my stones glued so far. But I imagine a nice porous absorbent stone could be worse this way. I don't soak my stones at all just in case. Just spray them but they still absorb some water when sharpening for an extended period. What also I think could happen is if the stone keeps wetting and drying it could eventually break apart the glue from the glass. This happened to me once if I used a glue that wouldn't stick to glass very well. After each session I could see the bond loosening until the glass fell off. That's why I think a rubbery elastic glue is best.
However a huge plus is still using the stone up til the very end. Used up a Naniwa Superstone this way for example. I'm about to wear out a Shapton Glass 1000 too, only a millimeter of stone left on the glass.

Nice job but how you cut glass to the stone size?

I would think any urethane sealant or rubbery u-glue would do well, Gorilla glue maybe even. Soak the stone a little for the G-G as it works that way. But the clear Henckles 100 would be neatest I'd think.

Very well done!

The glue that Naniwa and King use is like a silicon rubber. I only know this as I’ve removed a couple of bases from some cheap stones (I then glued the two together as a field stone) and what I saw resembled such a glue. It was grey on one and reminded me of silicon used on windows and gutters. Very flexible and stretchy.

BTW, my Shapton HNK 12k has warped a little and I plan to do a similar thing with it.

Very well done!

The glue that Naniwa and King use is like a silicon rubber. I only know this as I’ve removed a couple of bases from some cheap stones (I then glued the two together as a field stone) and what I saw resembled such a glue. It was grey on one and reminded me of silicon used on windows and gutters. Very flexible and stretchy.

BTW, my Shapton HNK 12k has warped a little and I plan to do a similar thing with it.

you can also glue it to another shapton. I used 1 component polurethane "waterproof" wood/stone glue and it turned out good. I put it in a vise for a few hours during curing(with cardboard between the jaws and the stones) . and taped all sides before the application of glue.

Casco Cascol or something. But I have a feeling all 1 comp polyurethane wood glues contain the exact same stuff.

Latest posts

Back