Retooling my Shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats and I bet we all cant wait to see the next batch of your work that comes from the new location.

Thanks guys. I am glad finally doing it.

Will pick up the lease today, will move in the last week of the month. Making arrangements to move heavy equipment from the warehouse to the new shop. 840sf is not a lot, but almost twice what I have now so the space feels spacious. I am likely to put all my grinder on pedestals, minimize work bench space. Real estate where I am is pretty expensive, buy or lease, so it's always a delicate balance between space and overhead cost.

I like that I will have my own gas hook-up, so I don't need to deal with propane, and a powerful exhaust is in already (forge fumes), so all that I need to do is to change electrical panel, place receptacles where the equipment will be, put in dust collection for metal and wood, move equipment and I am ready to go.

I think we'd all love to see pics when you're set up, congrats.

Signed the lease, will start moving equipment next week, For now, just new equipment, and at the end of the month, equipment from my current shop. Trying to get all the bespoken orders before moving, as it might be some down time on another end , though unlikely more than a week.

For tool junkies, like me

BridportGlenCove.jpg

My old milling machine (pink colored) finally reached her retirement age - been working since 1943! Still going strong, but starts showing her age.

The machine above is in a very good condition. Look forward to put her through the paces.

Folks,

moving to a new shop this week, getting some work out, but some will have to wait till I move and set up. I probably will have a down time of 3-4 days. Setting up dust extraction in a new shop, that's where most delay comes from.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Marko

I know you're busy Marko, but just so I know, did my submission through the contact form go through? I send it a few days ago and haven't gotten anything - just wanted to make sure it wasn't a technical glitch or something. Thanks.

Checking in!

the move to the new shop turned out to be a nightmare. Everything took longer than expected - electrical, setting up the shop, moving equipment and hooking up. I am *almost* done after two months of work. Anxious to go back to making knives.

On the positive note, my upstairs neighbors are skilled leather workers - one is actually a cobbler (a really good too, his work is amazing). They have an amazing shop filled with equipment. I think there will definitely be some collaboration.

I thank all of you who been patient for the work I owe. I hope this new place will be a new chapter in my journey.

Thanks,

Marko

Congrats Marko on the successful move. Looking forward to seeing more of your forging!

Moving is a nightmare, take your time and get everything ready before starting to make knives.

Finally, the shop is set up (for the most part)and I can resume working. Here is a picture of the new shop. Will take better ones in the day light tomorrow.

IMG_2341.JPG

Before and After Pics.

Fully rebuilt and ready. We de-greased, washed, stripped of the old paint, replaced any worn parts with newly machined, painted, replaced the dies, replaced the motor. This hammer should go trouble free for another decade or more, just basic maintenance like lubricating mechanical parts and cylinders.

Should have it in my shop withing a couple of months. The weight of this 80kg hammer with the 1.75" metal plate is 4 tons!!! No iron was spared in making this big boy. It also sits on 2" of conveyor rubber. Perfect for my rented shop.

hammer6.jpg

hammer1.jpg

hammer2.jpg

hammer5.jpg

hammer4.jpg

Wow, how many people will be working there?

Just one and I am already running out of space. 840 square feet (78 square meters) is not that much, actually, if you do all work in-house.

Marko

Sweet work on the refurb! Now all we need are some nice action pic's or an avi/mpeg to metallica please!

To bad you don't know anyone who might sell grinders, tables, plattens/jigs, etc. - that might help you get things set up nicely ...

= ;-)

Before and After Pics.

Fully rebuilt and ready. We de-greased, washed, stripped of the old paint, replaced any worn parts with newly machined, painted, replaced the dies, replaced the motor. This hammer should go trouble free for another decade or more, just basic maintenance like lubricating mechanical parts and cylinders.

Should have it in my shop withing a couple of months. The weight of this 80kg hammer with the 1.75" metal plate is 4 tons!!! No iron was spared in making this big boy. It also sits on 2" of conveyor rubber. Perfect for my rented shop.

View attachment 37582

View attachment 37583

View attachment 37584

View attachment 37585

View attachment 37586

Good to see you up and running!!! Can't wait to see your new shop making it happen :)

Back