Review Richmond Artifex M390

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching and said to myself...this guy sounds like a newfie (atlantic canada talk+ type of humor). Then I thought i heard a caper accent. Online info seems to imply that he's from the rock. There are a few newfies on this forum and they could probably confirm "legitimacy" more than i can. In any event, hilarious.
Thanks stereo.pete. I had a good laugh

Not necessarily the case. I am no fan or enemy really -- I don't care to think in those terms. With that said, I stupidly recommended someone try the AEB-L version a while back when they asked me for a knife under $100 and after seeing this, I now feel like crap. So I am probably going to have to pony up and buy them a replacement knife to make things right again. After seeing the photos and this video I would simply not recommend this knife to anyone at this point. Even if some turn out 'ok', the variable quality should be enough to scare most people off -- unless Ken finish sharpens it I guess ;)

k.

FWIW, he doesn't think the AEB-L version is as bad as the M390. There is another video about sharpening the Artifex, and I found this exchange in the comments:

Mike Boutwell
"Thanks for recommending these Artiflex knives. I have these on my buy list since I wont spend a huge amount of money and those AEB-L knives should feel right at home being users in my kitchen!"

Reply · Cliff Stamp
"Yes, they are a pretty decent deal for a small shop type production knife. I had some issues with the m390 one I had but I don't think you would have similar with the AEB-L version."

Here's the video;

[video=youtube;qLGcISFqEtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGcISFqEtc[/video]

OK. I wouldn't recognize that if my life depended on it...nor would it make any difference in my opinion of his knife review. Shrug

Certainly it wouldn't make any difference. But given that it was a comedy bit, and that his accent seemed to both shift and be much stronger than in his serious reviews, it was notable. Also, I couldn't place it...the best I could do was NZ/UK blend, but I knew that wasn't right.

Just curious if anybody here has first hand experience with one these knives. I also wonder if any competent sharpener here would consider using a junk coarse stone and a King 1000 to reset bevels and sharpen a knife made with m390.

I've used one for about two weeks. I agree with Cliff Stamp's assessment; edge retention is on par/worse than the vg10 in my hattori hd and the knife is really really thick behind the edge. It resembles a western deba more than a gyuto OTB. The steel is extremely abrasion resistant, but not impossible to deal with. I thinned and set the bevels with a bester 500. If you're thinking about one, might want to skip it.

Thanks James, I've used diamond plates and stones on a few m390 knives successfully . I have a sweet custom ordered made with it. I was really just wondering if the comments regarding these were a result of animosity or reality. I observed the ridicule of another knife made from Aeb-l that I've had a little experience with. Took me about 15 to 20 minutes to turn the stock edge into a fine one. I'm sure any number of members could do it in half that time.

Accent - doesn't sound Newfie to me, b'y! Sounds more NE US somewhere-ish.

I couldn't place it...the best I could do was NZ/UK blend, but I knew that wasn't right.

Not even close!

Just curious if anybody here has first hand experience with one these knives. I also wonder if any competent sharpener here would consider using a junk coarse stone and a King 1000 to reset bevels and sharpen a knife made with m390.
I did multiple resets on this knife with a few different stones in the 400-1.2k range (although no King) and I didn't have any problems with any of them. I bet a King is fine.

I did multiple resets on this knife with a few different stones in the 400-1.2k range (although no King) and I didn't have any problems with any of them. I bet a King is fine.

Thank you Tk

I've held up through different cycles of Richmond's blades as the wrinkles are worked out.....

That's a nice way of putting it. Maybe just a few more years and the wrinkles will only be little bumps. :D

So disappointing that these are being pushed on young cooks as inexpensive quality knives when they suck this bad. It aggravates me.
tbh at the end of the day these young cooks most of the time want a good knife but dont even want to sharpen or research into knivesand they juzt buy what sounds good they kind of dont deserve something great. but i do agree with you aswell

Back