D. Martell Richmond Addict Upgrades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wonder why that decision was made, originally. putting a thinner grind, even if modestly thinner, is an easy way of getting more performance out of a knife. it's just strange to me that it was so thick, OOTB.

You know Mark had to start somewhere. How many people have ever made a high performing knife on their first try..... nobody. I just glad Dave has got the skills to pickup where someone else left off to turn the Addict into a good knife.

You know Mark had to start somewhere. How many people have ever DESIGNED a high performing knife on their first try..... nobody. I just glad Dave has got the skills to pickup where someone else left off to turn the Addict into a good knife.

Designed, definitely not made.

You know Mark had to start somewhere. How many people have ever made a high performing knife on their first try..... nobody. I just glad Dave has got the skills to pickup where someone else left off to turn the Addict into a good knife.

And now Mark has the exact measurements to send to Lamson to improve it also ;) It still won't have Dave's edge though, but his Addict logo might be intact.

k.

it's not like Mark invented the first kitchen knife from scratch.

it's not like Mark invented the first kitchen knife from scratch.

Yeah, but look at how many custom knife makers try their hand at making a chef or gyuto and don't get it right, and they're expert craftsmen.

I don't know why he even bothered commissioning the Addict or the Remedy. Maybe it's was just "Why not?", but at least he's trying.

if anybody has enough kitchen knives to look at for ideas, it's Mark. :) i like Mark, i've bought lots of things from Mark, and i'm sure i'll buy more from him in the future, but i don't get it.

The knife was returned after Dave’s gentle ministrations, and the difference is night and day. It performs less like my Wusthof santoku and more like my Harner nakiri (don't worry Butch, it's nowhere near the same), and is a pleasure to use. Now, if Dave would have just fixed the profile...

Bottom line is that if you buy a Richmond Addict, send it to Dave if you want it to perform.

Rick

Weight: 188g (6g less)
Length of edge: 239.5mm (no change)
Height of blade at heel: 55.2mm (no change)

Blade thickness:
Spine at heel: 2.65mm (0.10 less)
Midpoint at heel: 1.60mm (0.05 less)
Edge at heel (right above bevel): 0.40mm (0.40 less)

Spine at midblade: 2.50mm (0.05 less)
Midpoint at midblade: 1.50mm (0.05 less)
Edge at midblade (right above bevel): 0.35 (0.30 less)

Spine at 1cm from tip: 0.80mm (0.25 less)
Edge at 1cm from tip (right above bevel): 0.35 (0.25 less)

Wow, I hadn't realized that it was that much removed, but like I said I never measured it......not bad. Sorry about the profile though Rick, I didn't mess with it because I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Now......the question will be how it holds up being this thin.

if only Dave had melted it down and forged it into a nicer knife. now that would have been service. ;)

if only Dave had melted it down and forged it into a nicer knife. now that would have been service. ;)

And added some trace elements that transformed the 154CM into CPM154 at the same time. Hey, the tang still looks too thin for it to be a beautiful knife, but the profile really isn't that bad. It's pure Watanabe, and he has a following.

All kidding aside, I have to say that the work that Dave did transformed the knife totally. Before Dave worked his magic on it, I was trying to decide how much I was willing to lose reselling it. Now, it's a keeper.

Thanks, again, Dave!

The knife was returned after Dave’s gentle ministrations, and the difference is night and day. It performs less like my Wusthof santoku and more like my Harner nakiri (don't worry Butch, it's nowhere near the same), and is a pleasure to use. Now, if Dave would have just fixed the profile...

Bottom line is that if you buy a Richmond Addict, send it to Dave if you want it to perform.

Rick

Weight: 188g (6g less)
Length of edge: 239.5mm (no change)
Height of blade at heel: 55.2mm (no change)

Blade thickness:
Spine at heel: 2.65mm (0.10 less)
Midpoint at heel: 1.60mm (0.05 less)
Edge at heel (right above bevel): 0.40mm (0.40 less)

Spine at midblade: 2.50mm (0.05 less)
Midpoint at midblade: 1.50mm (0.05 less)
Edge at midblade (right above bevel): 0.35 (0.30 less)

Spine at 1cm from tip: 0.80mm (0.25 less)
Edge at 1cm from tip (right above bevel): 0.35 (0.25 less)

Does anyone know how these measurements compare to the Carbonext 240 gyuto? I own one but don't have the measuring tools.

I think if I were looking for stainless at this price range, I would get the one from JCK in vg-10.

Wow, the before and afters really do highlight howthickbehind the edge they are..... Also 6g less after addding weight by oiling the handle

Strange that it was gumming up the belts, does this indicate it may be more likely to clog stones? Not sure what characteristics cause this so may not be related, would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts

Strange that it was gumming up the belts, does this indicate it may be more likely to clog stones? Not sure what characteristics cause this so may not be related, would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts

No, not necessarily.

BTW, it's pretty clear to me that what I'll have to charge to do this thinning work (to make the knife perform good) is likely prohibitive to the customer to put into a knife of this price point. Adding this cost is going to bring the knife up into another bracket where I'm sure better choices exist. Still though, I'll be happy to do this should someone have one of these and want to get it to work correctly.

i wonder why that decision was made, originally. putting a thinner grind, even if modestly thinner, is an easy way of getting more performance out of a knife. it's just strange to me that it was so thick, OOTB.

going from a moderately thick edge (.012 or so) down to a fairly thin edge (.009) GREATLY increases the difficulty of finish grinding the knife.
A decent analogy would be something like Honda cars that get souped up, yeah, you can turbo the engine up to the point where you have a fairly fast car, but to REALLY get there you need a car that was designed to be fast in the first place (Porsche, Lotus, Jaguar, Corvette, etc)

Murray is apparently doing the final sharpening on these.

"Coming Soon. Jmbullman from the Foodie Forums is a talented knife sharpener and we're offering a low priced way to turbo charge the Addict with a custom sharpening job by James. We will be stocking several knives so if you add this item to the knife we you will get an Addict that is thinned on the lower portion of the blade and finish sharpened with no wait."

looks like mark is just giving blades to everyone to sharpen.....looks like jmbullman, ken, and murray carter are doing finish sharpening?......seems kinda odd to me....but hey what do i know.....ryan

yea its not a question... thats clearly what mark has decided to do.... all of which are only doing the edge not the same complete thinning dave has demonstrated in this thread.
either way i dont get it but id imagine you will get your choice? perhaps this is an attempt at appealing to different markets however small they might be. maybe its just too much work for one guy so you get three with different styles.

I've found that there are a great many knives that I've tried that don't quite perform the way I expected or hoped they would right out of the box. At the same time, I recognize I'm not the average knife user either. My expectations are very high and I don't think anything about taking a knife to the belt sander to thin and/or bring out the kind of performance that I want from a knife. It sounds like what Mark has brought to market is something which might be a great knife for most, but for most of us, a knife which requires some fine tuning to bring out what we want. If it were a bit more modestly priced, I'd be very tempted to give it a test drive. IF it provides a particularly advantageous quality, such as an unusually lengthy edge holding ability, I'd consider it to be a diamond in the rough. Since it's so new, I'll have to reserve judgement until it has more of a track record.

Murray is apparently doing the final sharpening on these.

I see that there's now 6 other "finish sharpening" options (from novice sharpeners) to select from besides Murray. What's up with that? Maybe Mark's testing his options to see who does the best work? LOL :lol2:

Sounds like the perfect way to devalue your original product.

Back