Richmond Reviews

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved the part at about 12 min. were he says his Chicago Cutlery is better than the Richmond.

I would love to hear this guy talk about a knife in a positive manner. He just doesn't seem to be able to find a single thing he likes.

Saw the video a few days ago and thought, "yep, this is going to get posted on KKF".

Don't really see too much to get riled about. Would be interesting (to me) to get the kid a known good knife and see how it plays with his approach.

i know alot of people here are knife geeks but this guy is truly one of a kind. lets not take this too seriously, and instead enjoy it for what it is, wonderful entertainment.

i know alot of people here are knife geeks but this guy is truly one of a kind. lets not take this too seriously, and instead enjoy it for what it is, wonderful entertainment.

+1

in the comments he was wondering about a Tanaka's (if I remember right) heat treat.

This guy is a joke, although I suppose that is self evident.

The guy's a moron. :urweird:

Thanks for posting this Dave, very entertaining.

Almost fell asleep watching it. To quote "he left me to his dogs" hilarious.

AEB-L is an excellent stainless steel. Sandvik calls it 13C26 and it was designed for making razor blades. I don't even like stainless, but this is one that I would consider, if in the market for stainless. However, if Richmond blew the heat treat on this knife, it could be crap. The heat treatment is the sould of the knife. You can't see it, unless you use it or have a way to check the Rockwell C on it. Cheap files are available to test the RC, but I don't think any of this would satisfy this customer. I can't imagine trying to have a 10 degree inclusive blade edge that woiuld hold up very long, but saran wrap????

My problem with many of the reviews done on video at CKTG are that they are always positive about virtually everything. So, it's nice to have sites like this one to see what other's think of a certain knife before you order it.

"if Richmond blew the heat treat on this knife"

Mark doesn't do the heat treat, Lamson and Goodnow, who actually make the knife, has it done. If the heat treat is bad it's not Mark's fault it's whoever Lamson and Goodnow use.

"I can't imagine trying to have a 10 degree inclusive blade edge that woiuld hold up very long, but saran wrap????"

It wasn't "saran wrap" it was that plastic that processed meats are vacuum sealed in.
Mark's specs on the grind are the worst part of the knife. It's a food hatchet OOTB but once it's drastically thinned it's a good cutter.

I agree with this, and yes, Dave, why do you start this stuff. There are so many other things to laugh at…

[video=youtube;FXspT6YjAYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXspT6YjAYY[/video]

k.

I agree with this, and yes, Dave, why do you start this stuff. There are so many other things to laugh at…

[video=youtube;FXspT6YjAYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXspT6YjAYY[/video]

k.

'House of 1000 Corpses' was embarrassing, 'Devil's Rejects' was crap but kinda fun, the 'Halloween' remake was terrible, but I find this to be Rob Zombie's most chilling work thus far...

Ugh not that "bar stool cutting board" again. That thing scares me

To hell with drama man.. if I see anything advertised as high end and they charge like 25% of what an actual high end product costs I would be incredibly skeptical. I would start thinking "counterfeit/damaged goods" or something on those lines.

To hell with drama man.. if I see anything advertised as high end and they charge like 25% of what an actual high end product costs I would be incredibly skeptical. I would start thinking "counterfeit/damaged goods" or something on those lines.
There is a Dutch saying for this: "Wanting to sit first class for just a dime".

Doesn't translate well, but it's something in the line of "what you pay for is what you get, nothing more".

Agreed with many of these posts. I am actually glad I saw this review...Well, at least watched the second one all the way through. The first one made my head spin. Anyway, I had wondered if these really performed to the hype based on the price. Now we have the answer. This review may be a big extreme. But, as noted above...Generally "you get what you pay for"

My sous chef has that Honesuki and I've sharpened and played with it. It performs exactly as I would expect a $70 knife to perform. It's great for breaking down chickens and light duty boning work like lamb racks. I showed her to follow the factory grind and she has yet to so much as micro-chip it.

i felt like punching myself watch ken attempt to use a knife... and i only watched 20 seconds... lol so stupidddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

As boring as an 18 inning baseball game...Cheap knives aren't supposed to be remarkable, but cheap tools can work.

Saw this video a while and read his rants on both the CKTG and the cliffstamp's forums. I am glad I am not crazy in thinking this guy is crazy.

5 degrees inclusive. Is it possible? Sure, nothings impossible. Is it possible freehand? Uhm sure, its going to be something around 80 thousandths of an inch of rise per every inch of run, so say your knife is 2 inches tall, your talking a heavy eighth inch of lift off of the stone. I bought some artifexes for my prep monkeys when they came out, They're stamped with no grind behind the edge, as far I could tell. So maybe you could have 5 degrees on its edge, but your talking about grinding the whole side of any other knife off otherwise.

I remember when I first saw this and I thought the guy was nuts and after seeing it again I still think he's nuts.

Back