Rock and mostly roll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this for the first time, maybe old news to most of you but I found it to be a rather bizarre, but very creative take on the standard guided rod system.

From what it looks like, blade goes spine downwards on a flat surface. Press blade flat against one of the two angle guides. Take what is essentially a wooden drum with a gearing system that rotates a grinding disc as you roll it past your blade.

I’m not sure whether to be confused or impressed, but I think I’m both since it seems like the most technically complex way to make an entirely manual grinding system. It does look like it would address the issue some people have with not being sure what a 90 degree angle looks like ( yes they exist) with a rod system in order to hit the angles correctly. But it’s also 3-5 the price of one of those and won’t do anything for thinning so I’m not sure where the market is for it.

It does look hella fun though, has anyone used it?

Minimal setup looks pretty good vs a larger rod guided rig, although I do have questions about how it would respond to curved profiles.

Seems to require some degree of dexterity as well.. I don’t love sharpening systems, as they usually have some shortcomings by “making it easier”. Granted I just glanced at the video, but I’m already sensing an issue sharpening say a munetoshi butcher kind of profile. Not to mention a hawksbill (although any rig would have issues here I’m sure).

I can’t say that it doesn’t work tho, and for whom works better than freehand, have at it! Easier than setting up clamps/levers/rods if you ask me.

I think it’s definitely a faster set up then a clamped system, maybe slightly slower then a system like the sharp maker or turn box system but not by much. Also curious how it would work on larger knives like a caidao. I feel like the round shape leaves quite a bit of the abrasive unused as well if most of your knives are of a similar height, which seems pretty wasteful.

There's a fundamental shortcoming in believing sharpening is putting an edge at the end of a piece of steel. Sharpening is more about moving a previous configuration to a thicker part of the blade. It should involve thinning behind the edge and respecting the blade's geometry and the corresponding edge. Putting the same edge on every blade, whether it's thin or thick, more or less asymmetric, whether a you want a straight or more or less convexed bevel on one side or both: the result will never be an optimal outcome.

Oh yeah I saw this a while back. I mean its creative. you have to give them that.

Same drawbacks of most guided systems though, and maybe even more for this one, actually. What if the blade is shorter than the piece that holds the blade? Or oddly shaped?

Anyway, it has its purpose though. Id still recommend it over a pull through.

Agreed! I kinda love it for how weirdly overdesigned it seems, if only because it reminds me of similar odd designs like vacuum coffee or dip pens. Then I remember I’m ‘one’ more knife or knife accessory from being classified as a hoarder so I had best avoid it. Thinning, I think is my biggest concern after all that wasted abrasive and the issue with dealing with extra tall knives. Granted all the rod systems run into the same issue, but a lansky turn box is 20-30 US instead of 130 euros so I’m more forgiving of it there.

I always find it funny, no matter how many complicated systems and jigs get invented somehow rubbing a knife on a rock with your own hands can get around most of the challenges better.

Anyway, it has its purpose though. Id still recommend it over a pull through.
Those 'systems' do more harm than good. Encourage frequent use and waste of width due to the poor deburring. Destroying geometry. The only alternative I could think about is a Burgvogel/Messermeister sent out once a year and very careful use of a Dickoron Micro meanwhile.

Latest posts

Back