Rubbed Bead Blast - What Would You Do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this Nigara where spots of the bead blast on each side have been rubbed off. Since I don't have a blast cabinet, I'm wondering if and how I want to approach this.

If it impacts your decision, I may be gifting or selling this knife. I had it for sale here briefly and before the rubs and may put it back up.

Clearly it isn't going to look like new again but that doesn't have to mean it ends up looking bad. Doing nothing so the next person has options is a possibility as well I know.

So what would you do? If you'd sand it, could you share your steps on that?

20231210_112135.jpg

20231210_112153.jpg

20231210_112201.jpg

If it were me I might just tape up the hira and use some mud from my King 1000 and go to town with a 3m fine sanding sponge (works best if already used) or fabric pad to apply a new kasumi over the entire blade road - but that’s just because I don’t have the skill/patience to flatten the bevel and apply a real stone finish

Last edited:
I'd leave it be until it needs thinning, personally. Unless I didn't particularly like the finish to start with. But otherwise I don't see much of a point to rush what is inevitable.

Yeah I've really become lazy. Two years back I'd be like "put that thing on stones". It's still what I'd do if I had a problem with it though.

I’ve dealt with this a couple times and ended up with either finger stones or mirror polish. I think this would look great mirrored, I’m assuming its stainless clad. My easy mirror is to just put it on my balsa strop with 1u diamond and heavy pressure until it looks good but I usually do a progression before. Some sandpaper or diamond film could be part of a progression.

Last edited:
Yeah, what others have said - mud from a King (or similarly muddy stone) rubbed in is what you want to be doing.

Unless you want a helluva lot of work, I'd advise not putting it on stones or trying / trying to get a proper polish on it. Cos I'd pretty much guarantee it has some grind marks and probably slightly concaved bevels under the bead blasting.

(And on the off chance you happen to sell / give it to someone in the UK; I'd be more than happy to re-do the bead blast and sharpen it on its way to them).

Back